PDA

View Full Version : i <3 gmail!

skoal
June 7th, 2005, 04:36 PM
That's right, "I love gmail!". Why? Because I'm stupid and only realized today what everyone else probably knew all along:

** gmail provides not only a free POP3 server, but a free SMTP server as well.

Hooooolyyyyy cow! You pay something like $20/year for that on yahoo. Ok, it's only $2/month you say - well, I see your point, but multiply $20x100 years of service and gmail is saving me $2000. sweet...

Well, anyway, I'm migrating all my contacts to gmail from yahoo now. It's really nice to be able to use Thunderbird to send/receive through gmail (never using the web portal or having to rely on an ISP which I don't have).

\\//_

Lovechild
June 7th, 2005, 04:58 PM
nit pick 20/12 != 2 it's 1.67

oh and since gmail never worked for me as it was supposed to "I ](*,) gmail", it's a nice service though

skoal
June 7th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Lovechild, I don't know what you mean by "not worked" but I had tried setting up the POP/SMTP stuff a while back and it didn't work either. At least for me, it was because I didn't realize that gmail doesn't use the standard POP/SMTP ports for those services (110 and 25 I believe). I dug around their site and found the setup for T-bird and it works like a charm.

\\//_

Lovechild
June 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
the pop3 just stopped working for me one day.. it was down for days, since I needed my mail, I switched and bought my own domain (so now I even have @lovesunix.net as a spiffy bonus). I was working just fine and I was very happy with it, it's still the single best free webmail I've used, and I recommend it to others.

Sionide
June 7th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah it's gotta be said that having your own domain is far cooler than gmail ;)

carlc
June 7th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I really like gmail. You get a lot for nothing. $0.00 = a 2 gig account with pop3 access, mail fowarding, a pretty good spam filter, and the ability to search past emails. However, being a skeptic, I do not use it for anything that I want to remain private.

jro
June 8th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Same here carlc, personal email goes to my private domain (which I only give out to actual human beings), then all the lists serv email and signup stuff goes to gmail.

benplaut
June 8th, 2005, 08:29 PM
ever since they added rich text, and the ability to permanently turn on images from certain people, i <3 gmail O:)

i'm using a full 6% of my storage :eek:

Jenda
June 9th, 2005, 12:12 AM
8% here.... It grows faster than I can fill it up!

skoal
June 9th, 2005, 01:09 AM
anyone know of a good resource or tutorial to get the XFCE's "Mail Checker" panel applet to fetch gmail's POP3 server?

For the "Mail Box" entry, I tried - "pop3://user:password@pop.gmail.com:995" but it just hangs the panel and I have to kill X session.

or a more preferable tool and/or method?

thx.

\\//_

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 02:29 AM
14% full. I clean it regularly (It's my own private P2P client ;)).

I love it. But about a month ago they froze my account for a whole week supposedly for maintance, plus sometimes I feel a little unstability, but it still rocks :D.

darkoptix
June 9th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Gmail being the next bittorrent... I can see that...

pdk001
June 9th, 2005, 07:42 AM
gmail service is down now?

skoal
June 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
gmail service is down now?

I don't know. But the funny thing is - ever since I started bragging about awesome gmail is, the pop3 server has beeing working off and on for me. I didn't have that problem before I made this post. Maybe it's just temporary google problems like you say. I can only imagine what will happen to the internet if a fire breaks out in the google building HQ though. I think the internet will cease to exist as we know it and we'll all go back to BBSs and 300 baud modems.

\\//_

bored2k
June 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Oh aim.com just started giving out 2GB accounts. The interface is pretty slick too.

skoal
June 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Hmm...

I just went to aim.com and tried to setup a web mail account. I already have 4 different accounts with AIM, but the funny thing is it picked up my last account automagically. Now, I've never been to this site before on my Linux box so these AIM fellers must be matching IPs against some sort of running database (since I have 2 win boxes NIC'd on my router). A little 2 Orwellian for me. Maybe I'll sign up anyway and use it as another account for receiving spam when I fill out web forms - that way gmail stays nice and clean.

\\//_