PDA

View Full Version : mod_python and apache2

MadeR
April 3rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Desiring to learn python for my degree thesis (web based application), I installed mod_python.
I wish python had a documentation like the one on php site. I'm getting mad try to figure out how to get something like $_GET and $_POST.
To learn the basics of mod_python and PSP pages I created two files:

---------------index.html---------------
<html>
<head>
<title>X</title>
</head>
<body>
<form id='x' name='x' method='get' action='prova.psp'>
<input type='text' name='t' id='t'/><br/>
<input type='text' name='u' id='u'/><br/>
<input type='submit' value='ok'/><br/>
</form>
</body>
</html>

---------------prova.psp---------------
<html>
<%= dir(form) %>
<%= form.list %>
</html>

whose output is:
['__contains__', '__doc__', '__getitem__', '__init__', '__len__', '__module__', 'get', 'getfirst', 'getlist', 'has_key', 'keys', 'list', 'make_field', 'make_file', 'read_to_boundary']
[Field('t', 'xyz'), Field('u', '123')]

Shouldn't form have 'values' and 'items' properties? http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.3.1/doc-html/pyapi-util-fstor.html

maybe I missed a step during installation?

MadeR
April 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
another problem: same .html file but different .psp file:

<html>

<%= [ dir(x) for x in form.list ] %>
<%= [ x.value for x in form.list ] %>
<%

def f( x ):
x.value

%>

<%= map( f, form.list ) %>

</html>

output:
[['__del__', '__doc__', '__getattr__', '__init__', '__module__', '__repr__', 'disposition', 'disposition_options', 'file', 'filename', 'headers', 'name', 'type', 'type_options'], ['__del__', '__doc__', '__getattr__', '__init__', '__module__', '__repr__', 'disposition', 'disposition_options', 'file', 'filename', 'headers', 'name', 'type', 'type_options']]
['xyz', '123']
[None, None]

This is strange:
the first line tells us that a Field object has no value attibute (the very opposite of what is written in mod_python documentation), but the second python line show us that it exists.
So why the 3rd line returns [None,None] ? :confused:

Finally: is there a smarter way to get the same variable as PHP $_POST other the following code?
<html>

<%
k=[ x.name for x in form.list ]
v=[ x.value for x in form.list ]
%>
<%= zip( k, v ) %>

</html>

pmasiar
April 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Desiring to learn python for my degree thesis (web based application), I installed mod_python.

mod_python is not the simplest choice for a beginner, and stay away from PSP. It looks like PHP, you have fuzzy feeling, but if you want to mix code and presentation, don't bother and do it in PHP.

Check http://learnpython.pbwiki.com/WebApplication - simple CGI server in 7 lines of Python, and 2 simple CGI apps. For real big web application, you need to use model-view-controller pattern, check MVC web frameworks: TurboGears and Django are most popular. (all links at wiki)

Mirrorball
April 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
I recommend Django as well. Mixing logic and presentation is simple but you will regret it later. I do.