PDA

View Full Version : Favorite web search engine?

67GTA
April 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
I use Google because it is not clustered with things I don't need, and is pretty fast. Is there anything that beats Goolgle? What search engine do you use?

ajeffreys
April 2nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
I use google for the same reason :)

kevinf311
April 2nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
I use Google mostly but I use it through YubNub.

If you haven't heard of YubNub, check out their site (http://yubnub.org/).

It's somewhat command line based, but don't let that scare you off. It's really streamlined. I added it to my FireFox search bar as the default.

Some examples of how to use it:

g linux <--does a google search on linux
gim linux <--does a google image search on linux
gym linux <--searches linux on google, yahoo, and microsoft live search simultaneously
gymi linux <--image search on the above engines
fooplot x^2 <--plots the function y=x^2

There are lots of others that you can look up, or you can create your own.

Rev. Nathan
April 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Google has the most results, best functions, and is set in the best order. When I use Yahoo or MSN at a friends house, I shudder when the most obvious link is not the first result (ie. when I type Microsoft ActiveSync in MSN search, it links me to TWO links that are older versions before the official link)

lbyrd33
April 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Ive always used yahoo because it just seems I can find things better than using other search engines. I like google but when it comes a time when I cant find something, yahoo always comes through.

finferflu
April 2nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yubnub (http://yubnub.org/)! It's more like a command line tool for searching using different search engines; for example if you type "glx <keyword>" it searches on Google Linux, or "wp <keyword>" searches on Wikipedia", and so on (ls shows you all the possible commands).
It's my default search engine on the Firefox search bar, very useful!
But yes, I mostly use Google...

xpod
April 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
Google .....often
http://www.google.com/linux:)
wikipedia......even after a year with pc`s now much of the stuff i come across is still new to me,even many of the terms etc so this is generally where i enlighten myself to start out with.It`s reliable enough for me.
udsf.......sometimes:-\"

I sometimes let stumble upon decide what to search for too.After all,i wouldn`t have discovered Ubuntu(as quickly) without it.:)

23meg
April 3rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Clusty (http://clusty.com) works best for me.

elephant007
April 3rd, 2007, 12:02 AM
Google here too
back in the day I used to use AskJeeves until they became to commercialized.

ComplexNumber
April 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
there's only 1 web search engine, and thats google. all others are mere pretenders.

as a side note, did you know that the reason why the google search engine front page is so minimalistic is because the founders of google couldnt write html very well :lolflag:. i always thought it was a superb design decision because that was one of the reasons why i started using google in the first place. all the others are full of ads and lots of useless clutter.

23meg
April 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
full of ads and lots of useless clutter

That pretty much sums up my experience with Google.

kelbizzle
April 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
I use Google because there software is intuitive. Working at companies like apple, Hp, and metlife I know they all use Google technology to search there knowledge bases internally and and in public view. Even yahoo has followed some of the documentation written by Google's technical writers. In hopes of making their search more usable.

ComplexNumber
April 3rd, 2007, 12:41 AM
That pretty much sums up my experience with Google.
can you give me a screenshot of the "ads and useless clutter" that you see on the google front page, please? can you point them out to me?

FoolsGold
April 3rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
/scratches head

Why would anyone not want to use Google? I'm confused.

23meg
April 3rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
can you give me a screenshot of the "ads and useless clutter" that you see on the google front page, please? can you point them out to me?

I'm not talking about the front page, but the actual search result output itself.

Actually, front pages are out of the sight of users who have a habit of doing searches with the search bar in their browser, me included. I use multiple search engines, and I don't even know what most of their front pages look like.

fdrake
April 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
i mostly use google because it has the largest index out there , but i am starting not to like them for the fact that they are trying to create a profile of their users by registering our searches. i know many search engines do that, but google as an innovative leader in the search engine market should make a difference.

ComplexNumber
April 3rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
I'm not talking about the front page, but the actual search result output itself.

Actually, front pages are out of the sight of users who have a habit of doing searches with the search bar in their browser, me included. I use multiple search engines, and I don't even know what most of their front pages look like.
i was talking about the front page. even on the actual search results, it has hardly overrun by ads and they are on the right hand side and out of the way.
the point being that a search engine should be just that - a text area to type in the search and little more else. google gets this right. 99.9% of the others don't.

FoolsGold
April 3rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
No-one's mentioned MSN Live Search yet.

:)

23meg
April 3rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
even on the actual search results, it has hardly overrun by ads and they are on the right hand side and out of the way.

I don't like the way its ranking system very often pushes commercial sites up front. I don't want to be treated as if I must be looking to buy something all the time. (No, I won't go into the data mining that it does to display those ads, not to turn this into an "is Google evil" debate).

the point being that a search engine should be just that - a text area to type in the search and little more else.

For me, it should be even less: it should just be the software that parses my search bar string and throws back an HTML document of the results. It doesn't have to have a face.

ComplexNumber
April 3rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
23meg
sorry, but i don't see where you're coming from.... at all.

23meg
April 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
23meg
sorry, but i don't see where you're coming from.... at all.

If interested in seeing, start by doing a Google search for "google page rank".

67GTA
April 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Clusty seems pretty clean. I had never heard of it. Thanks for the tip.