PDA

View Full Version : article on faster linux boot from ibm.com

dr_d12
April 2nd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Here is a link to ibm.com with an interesting description of the linux boot process and how it can be configured for speed...

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-boot-faster/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw01FC-FastLinuxBoot

maniacmusician
April 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Here is a link to ibm.com with an interesting description of the linux boot process and how it can be configured for speed...

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-boot-faster/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw01FC-FastLinuxBoot
As mentioned in the article. Upstart is already implemented in Ubuntu, so we have a pretty fast boot process already :)

NeoLithium
April 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Quite right; it's a speedy boot process; but one of the things i always do is kill all my useless processes as well, like the printer stuff; and certain other tasks which I don't use; helps out quite a bit as well.

rabid9797
April 3rd, 2007, 01:02 AM
do we really need that much faster of a boot? i mean, ubuntu boots in about 15 seconds, everything in that article might be shaving a second or two off, but most linux distro's in general boot 3-4 times faster than windows anyway. we got it good as it is :)

BarfBag
April 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
I remember back in the day when slow boot time was a Linux weakness. Man - times have changed.

maniacmusician
April 3rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
I remember back in the day when slow boot time was a Linux weakness. Man - times have changed.
it still is for a lot of distros...we're a step ahead with upstart, but I think most other distros are still using standard init scripts. Upstart will probably catch on though, which will hopefully take care of that problem.

BuffaloX
April 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
do we really need that much faster of a boot? i mean, ubuntu boots in about 15 seconds, everything in that article might be shaving a second or two off, but most linux distro's in general boot 3-4 times faster than windows anyway. we got it good as it is :)

Weird, on my system windows boots up in about 10 seconds, that is after BIOS which is about 15 seconds. :(
My Ubuntu takes about 30 seconds.
But maybe it's because my windows has absolutely nothing extra installed, except for a couple of games.
My Ubuntu has 4 Desktop Environments and Beryl, LOTS of apps fonts codecs notifiers and monitors, I have messed so much with my Ubuntu, it's amazing it's working at all.

PS
with Linux I can monitor every single sensor in my system. (mobo, graphics, hdd)
And I can even choose how they are shown. (conky gkrellm and probably others too.) :guitar:
I was never able to do that in Windows, even with years of experience and a huge effort I continued to be unable to read some sensors, and some showed wrong values.