PDA

View Full Version : Were to start?

25an
April 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Hi!
I would like to get som information on were to start if I like to start develop som programs in ubuntu.
I would like to devlop in GNOME, this is the first time that I have developt anything in a linux distrubution, and I know that is pretty diffrent from windows so I would like to get som links or recommendations on books that I could use to get started.
What is the best way to learn, write your own program or start by looking att some one else
and edit it?
I have programmed in C++, Java and some C but I have nevered used autoconf and the tools
that is used in Linux. I have done som make files but nothing heavy.

Thanks for all the recommendations, links or any thoughts on the subject.

pmasiar
April 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
What is the best way to learn, write your own program or start by looking att some one else and edit it?.

IMHO best way is to start fixing bugs. Most successful projects work actively to recruit new developers (that's why they are success :-) ) and they have small simple bugs for beginners. You will see how things are done, learn from code.

Starting with your own project is IMHO loser's bet. Even if you manage to have brilliant idea, you may fail on system design, or many other places. Gaining mindshare for a developer without credentials id hard - why anyone would waste time installing your beta code, trying to understand it, and helping you with bugs?

So my advice is, find a project you care about and want to succeed, join developer's mailing list, and ask for small bugs to fix -- for beginner. Join couple lists and you will see where you fit better.

Don't be discouraged if your couple first submissions will be criticized, maybe even heavily. For developers is important to maintain coding standards, to have sane code. Keep in mind that if they criticize you, they think you are worth something, worth spend time on you to teach you, so you have potential of becoming developer and positive asset to the project. If they think you are no good, they would just ignore your email, fixing the bugs.

Or, if english is not your first language, even bigger help might be if you help translate apps to languages you are familiar. Or both code and translations :-)

That's great you are askinging these kinds of questions - you can learn, if you want to! Good luck!

kinson
April 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
@pmasair:

Interesting. I never thought of that. I suppose its mainly cause I never thought that open source projects would have small bugs "for me". Thanks for the tip. I'll see whether I can look into this when I have the time :)

Cheers,
Kinson