PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling MySQL..am I doing right?

HighD
April 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
Ok, so I installed MySQL from mysql-5.1.15-beta-linux-i686-glibc23.tar.gz file I downloaded from their MySQL.com , following this instructions basically...

shell> groupadd mysql
shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
shell> cd /usr/local
shell> gunzip < /PATH/TO/MYSQL-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
shell> ln -s FULL-PATH-TO-MYSQL-VERSION-OS mysql
shell> cd mysql
shell> scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
shell> chown -R root .
shell> chown -R mysql data
shell> chgrp -R mysql .
shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

How do I uninstall? My idea is to simply trace back my steps and undo what I did. Am I doing right?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

HighD
April 3rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
anyone?? I just want to know if retracing my steps would be wise :)

lnostdal
April 3rd, 2007, 03:13 AM
the steps for uninstalling mysql from the terminal is as follows:

sudo aptitude remove mysql-server

..that's assuming you installed it like this:

sudo aptitude install mysql-server

is there some reason you downloaded and installed the package from some "random web page" instead of using the ubuntu repositories (apt-get / aptitude / synaptic)?

HighD
April 3rd, 2007, 04:23 AM
is there some reason you downloaded and installed the package from some "random web page" instead of using the ubuntu repositories (apt-get / aptitude / synaptic)?

Thanks lnostdal :D

Well yes there is a reason, I'm a student taking a db course for the first time. I was specifically told to install MySQL 5.1 (even though it's beta). I downloaded the file from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html and followed the instructions I posted earlier.

When I do a search in synaptic, it does not show MySQL 5.1 as installed either. but that makes sense as I didn't use a deb file right? I did not do any make or make install, i just followed the above instructions.

HighD
April 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Well, what i ended up doing was retracing steps, everything seems to be fine :D