PDA

View Full Version : Free VOIP

Warpnow
April 2nd, 2007, 04:19 AM
I've been looking around at VOIP, mainly the kind where it runs as software not Vonage or such where it uses a phone.

AIM phone apparently has free incoming calls, and I've been looking at Ekiga which apparently has free outgoing calls...could the two be used together for total free phone solution? anyone tried these?

Anyone tried any VOIP phones, software or hardware based? If so, what was your experience?

tehkain
April 2nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Well ekiga its self doesn't provide a free calling service its just a client. If you sign up for a free calling account that is based on SIP/323 or w/e you can log in on ekiga instead of their proprietary software. Thus negating adds and the like.

This site has some info http://www.tashazo.com/2007/01/best-free-voip-setup/

As for my experience: I have been using my SIP phone for SIP to SIP and the rare SIP to land line and I love it.

old_geekster
April 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Have you looked at "Skype". It is VOIP.

I have never used it, but I know that Leo LaPorte uses it on TWIT (The Week In Tech) every program.

Warpnow
April 2nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah. $30 a year for outgoing, $38 for incoming. Not free, but a good deal. Free pc to pc, but I think most people recieve calls from phones and want to be able to call phones.