PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Converts

jonathanhanna
June 7th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Since using Ubuntu, I've become quite a fan of the Gnome desktop. In fact, I now prefer it over KDE. Gnome has a really nice feel to it and I like the simplicity. I won't get into why l like it over KDE right now because this is not meant to be a desktop war thread (there's plenty out there already!).

When I first learned about Ubuntu, I was dissapointed that Gnome was the default desktop, since I was such a KDE fan. Then I saw Kubuntu! I thought, "problem solved!" so I tried that first. But after trying Ubuntu, I got hooked on Gnome and became a convert. Don't get me wrong, I still think KDE is great, I just prefer Gnome now.

My question is, has anyone else become a Gnome convert because of Ubuntu? I feel like that Gnome's popularity has diminished over the years and I'm just wondering if Ubuntu's popularity may bring more people to Gnome.

Doesn't matter really, just curious...

Lovechild
June 7th, 2005, 06:27 AM
I'm one of the people who started on KDE 1.x, then I switched to GNOME 1.2 since KDE 2.0 was so slow it was unbelievable, with KDE 2.2 the speed returned as did I. I stayed untill 3.0 when I just happened to be going to a conference and I saw GNOME 2.2 demoed (I had tried GNOME 2.0 and was unimpressed)... I went home and as the first thing I deleted KDE and installed GNOME.. haven't looked back since, the design decisions simply made sense.

GTKpower
June 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Watch a boatload of formerly loyal Mac users who feel utterly betrayed by the Intel deal switch to Ubuntu. :wink:

Some will stick it out with Apple, but from what I've been seeing on the Mac boards, there are quite a few who will drop Apple altogether.

New converts . . . . .

pdk001
June 7th, 2005, 08:27 AM
im using Gnome so far since i have installed linux

kvidell
June 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM
No option for "I used it for a few weeks then promptly switched to Openbox and haven't looked back" ?
*waits for Stormy Eyes*
- Kev

benplaut
June 7th, 2005, 08:31 AM
i started out using KDE 3.3 in SuSE 9.2, and had no idea how slow it was.

It was still faster than XP Pro ;-)

I now use a combo of openbox WM, gnome-panel, and XFce session manager :grin:

mike998
June 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I started with gnome and have tried KDE at every release since and with every distro and find it just too heavy and resource intensive.

Sionide
June 7th, 2005, 06:43 PM
My slackware box runs KDE and I don't like it as much as I like my Gnome desktop on my Ubuntu laptop. Keep the Gnome lovin' hot! ;)

j-rock
June 7th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Still hate both.

Ironi
June 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Since I presently use KDE, I voted for that. However, I'm not short-sighted enough to say that I will always use it. It's currently the best option for me, but that's not likely to remain true indefinitely. Technology changes and evolves over time.

wylfing
June 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Once long ago I used Debian Potato (!) then Woody, and all that time KDE was my desktop. I really liked it, even though 2.x was pretty ugly by comparison with what you see today. It was so wonderfully customizable. I left Debian and went to Mandrake 9, and stuck with that through Mandrake 10. All KDE all the time.

Then I switched to Fedora Core, without realizing Gnome was its default desktop. (Don't know how I didn't know.) I was surprised, then pleased by it's pre-OSX-Mac goodness. I started to prefer it to KDE. I lived with Fedora Core until 3 then tired of the world of RPM and wanted to go back to Debian, but I thought I'd first try out another distro in the Debian family, maybe Xandros or Ubuntu. I went with Ubuntu and have been with that for some time now.

I still appreciate KDE, but I'm kind of a zealot for Gnome now.