PDA

View Full Version : How do you plan on updating to Feisty?

plb
April 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
That is of course if you upgrade to Feisty. Fresh install or dist-upgrade? Just another meaningless poll here in the cafe :)

ppatalano
April 2nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
There's no way I'm going to do a fresh install. To much to transfer.

celsofaf
April 2nd, 2007, 12:43 AM
Fresh install, as I don't use it as main OS at the time and my old install has too much garbage on it.

tbroderick
April 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
There's no way I would take a chance on a dist-upgrade. Clean install all the way. I already have my /home and important files on separate partitions so there is nothing to transfer and I use the mini.iso to fine tune what I install.

ppatalano
April 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
Does everyone really think it will be that awful to a distribution upgrade, is it risky?

FoolsGold
April 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Does everyone really think it will be that awful to a distribution upgrade, is it risky?
Nah, it would probably work just fine, but my prior experience with Windows has effectively burnt the importance of a fresh install permanently into my mind, so I'll be doing a fresh install myself. Besides, all my important data is elsewhere, so I don't lose much.

reacocard
April 2nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
Fresh install. Separate /home partition and a backup of /etc makes it nearly painless.

antenna
April 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
As a Debian user i'm surprised to see so many people wanting to fresh install, I don't think Ubuntu is that fragile is it?

Spr0k3t
April 2nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
I'm not going to update or fresh install until I know the nvidia software is fine with twinview. If it works now (which I haven't seen a confirmation just yet), I'll upgrade to the beta.

Spr0k3t
April 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM
As a Debian user i'm surprised to see so many people wanting to fresh install, I don't think Ubuntu is that fragile is it?

Know what you mean, but there are several people who've had issues upgrading from dapper or breezy to the next release. The only thing I would consider is making a separate /home/ drive, but I'm still going the dist-upgrade route for now.

plb
April 2nd, 2007, 01:26 AM

Oh cmon, dist-upgrading to Sarge was a nightmare.

vf514
April 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
Certainly a fresh install. When I use a new version of an operating system, I want to see it with all the default settings in place --- the way it's meant to be seen. Ubuntu comes with everything anyway so reinstalling programs is not a big issue

macogw
April 2nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
I marked dist upgrade because I'm already using Feisty and have been since January, so if I keep on updating, I'll hit Feisty's stable version on the release date. Then I'll upgrade to the next devel version. I rather like using the devel version cuz then I have a chance to at least be slightly helpful with bugs even if I can't code well enough to fix them.

ComplexNumber
April 2nd, 2007, 01:58 AM
i'll probably do a dist-upgrade around the middle of june (ie when fiesty has been out about 1.5 months).

ppatalano
April 2nd, 2007, 02:04 AM
Why would you wait until June???????

kevinf311
April 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
Fresh install for me. I have a separate /home partition and very recent backups of all my data.

I'm currently using Sabayon 3.3 because of Beryl issues, but I think I've finally figured out what the issue was so I'll be back as soon as Feisty is deemed stable.

Since my backups are from 4 days ago, I'll probably just do a "from scratch" installation and back up any changes/additions on my USB jump drive.

Perfect Storm
April 2nd, 2007, 02:10 AM
Fresh installs here. I like to set up things freshly.

FuturePilot
April 2nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
Fresh install for me. I'm running Dapper on the desktop PC so it's really my only option. Going Dapper>Edgy>Feisty is out of the question since Edgy doesn't like the keyboard and therefore wouldn't be able to even log in after the upgrade to Edgy so I'd be stuck.

cowlip
April 2nd, 2007, 02:16 AM

Compucore
April 2nd, 2007, 02:49 AM
If I did do a update to fiesty is to do a fresh install. That way you won't get any problems from going through the distro upgrade. I have heard so many problems going that way from any os in General. Some people will not have this problem which are a rare bread. Others will. It is also a matter of preference as well on how to do that. Mine like some of theothers were always a fresh install to a new OS like fiesty. But make sure you back up your data. ALways handy to do that in the first place. Depending on how much data yo have to back up as well.

Compucore

qamelian
April 2nd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Dist-upgrade...same way I've upgraded every release since Breezy.

ComplexNumber
April 2nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Why would you wait until June???????
to wait for everything or most of what i have installed to be converted to deb.

qamelian
April 2nd, 2007, 02:56 AM

Only if you mess around too much with third-party tools and repos. My laptop, which is what I do all my testing on, Has been running Ubuntu since Warty. From Breezy on, every upgrade has been done via dist-upgrade without any issues. In fact, the reason I tried the dist-upgrade route is that neither the Dapper Desktop nor Alternate CDs would boot without locking up! Been dist-upgrading ever since.

RandomJoe
April 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM
I'm one of the ones who had a nightmare (couple of them, actually) going from 5.10 to 6.06. (Haven't bothered to go to Edgy!) Both times I had the nVidia binary drivers and lots of customized config files. Both times the updater crapped out right in the middle and left me with a non-bootable, unusable system. Dunno whether the customizations and binary drivers are what happened, or if it should have worked fine even still, but the one upgrade that did work fine was on a laptop I hadn't custom-configured anything on.

That laptop highlighted another reason I like to do fresh installs - the upgraded OS looked just like the previous, and I like seeing the new look! :D (Probably some easy way to do that too, oh well...)

Fresh installs also make sure I don't forget *too* much about what I did to set the whole mess up in the first place! :rolleyes:

Pikestaff
April 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM
Fresh install... I'm using Dapper and to upgrade to Feisty I'd have to upgrade to Edgy first, but my wireless card and Edgy don't play nice (that is mainly why I'm using Dapper still). I'm hoping that my wireless card will work well in Feisty, but I'm going to do a clean install because I'll be skipping an upgrade.

BarfBag
April 2nd, 2007, 03:11 AM
If I go back to Ubuntu from Arch (highly unlikely at this point), fresh install. I like to keep my system clean.

Quillz
April 2nd, 2007, 03:15 AM
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as usual.

macogw
April 2nd, 2007, 03:23 AM
Quillz, you're supposed to use
gksu "update-manager -c"
because dist-upgrade breaks things. Don't you remember Edgy?

Mykewl
April 2nd, 2007, 03:34 AM
Fresh install for me. I burned a cd for the beta
and have kept up with the updates.

AusIV4
April 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
After my experience trying to upgrade to edgy, I'm creating a new partition and doing a fresh install to that. That way, if I have any problems, I can revert to my known-working installation. I keep my home folder on a separate partition, so it should be fairly seamless.

Does anyone know if Feisty is going to have better RAID/LVM support than Edgy did? One of my machines is still on Dapper because Edgy kept forgetting about my raid volumes. I see on the blueprints page the features "udev-lvm" and "udev-mdadm", which are supposed to make udev and lvm/mdadm play nicely together, so I'm hoping I'll be able to upgrade my box from Dapper to Feisty - though as I said, I will be making another partition just in case.

BOBSONATOR
April 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM
Fresh Install on my Desktop,

Im keeping edgy on my laptop, rock solid stable beryl-xgl, love it to death.

old_geekster
April 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
I will do the upgrade, if I can figure out how to do it.

I have read that upgrading is the easiest and is definitely safe.

FrozenFOXX
April 3rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
I'm going to try upgrading since honestly I've never really "upgraded" a distro before and want to try it out. I'm not taking any chances though, a nice tarball backup of all my important files is going onto my separate server just in case something gets borked, but I think it'll be interesting to try out.

justaguynpc
April 3rd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Fresh install here, after running it for several months without considerable effort, I am looking forward to seeing the "default" desktop once again.

Only to start customizing it again................. :)

Cheers

EdThaSlayer
April 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
I'm doing a fresh install. Although it will take ages to back up all my data. I will wait till I get a new larger hard drive to put all my data in(100 gb of data O.o).

beefcurry
April 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Having a 1TB NAS lying around a fresh install is always the best option :D

PartisanEntity
April 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Nah, it would probably work just fine, but my prior experience with Windows has effectively burnt the importance of a fresh install permanently into my mind, so I'll be doing a fresh install myself. Besides, all my important data is elsewhere, so I don't lose much.

I suffer from the same Post Windows Trauma, which is why I always do fresh installs :)

frodon
April 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Dist upgrade for me, i do that since hoary and never got problems except when i used external compiz repositories (i just needed to downgrade some packages).
Dist-upgrade is safe and keep all your settings, except that it's more than 1h long to download all the package it's painless.

haricharan
April 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I already did :) I have been using it since herd 4 was released....

PartisanEntity
April 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Dist upgrade for me, i do that since hoary and never got problems except when i used external compiz repositories (i just needed to downgrade some packages).
Dist-upgrade is safe and keep all your settings, except that it's more than 1h long to download all the package it's painless.

Hmm in that case I might give it a try. Lets say I upgrade from Edgy to Feisty, how are files belonging to Edgy that are no longer needed handled?

And what is the official, tried and true method of upgrading? Thanks :)

frodon
April 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Usualy edgy files are deleted if not needed anymore, you might have some remaining useless edgy files but nothing big or annoying.

The official method to upgrade is described here :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FeistyUpgrades

My personnal advice : Make a ghost of your ubuntu partition, i takes 10 min and if you don't like you computer after the upgrade you put back your old config in 5min (common software for that is partimage).

gabhla
April 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
In the past I've always done an upgrade; but, this time will need to start fresh. Ubuntu got zapped during one of the updates messes and I just never got around to fixing it, so will have to start over. Been using Mint.

joseito
April 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Hi, I'm on Feisty right now, Is more fast than edgy in all...I'm planing in the release to download the .iso and i'll install it again :)

dkaddict
April 5th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I just did a 'dist upgrade' from Kubuntu Edgy to Feisty using the (apparently)new upgrade tool that people have been asked to test. It took about an hour and a half but aside from that everything went ok. I have to use the openchrome drivers for my video so had to do
'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg'
in recovery mode on my first boot into Feisty in order to select the Vesa driver because ' /etc/X11/xorg.conf' had been written anew and had reverted to naming the Vesa generic driver. I expected that would hapen though. Once I had managed to log in graphically I reinstalled the Openchrome driver, amended xserver-xorg and /etcX11/xorg.conf, restarted X and got back into Kubuntu.
Nothing seems to have been lost by way of my settings. All of the app windows are opening where I had set them to in Edgy, my custom icons are still loaded, windows are the same as in Edgy. It looks like all went ok. I can't see any missing files in my /home partition.
I am impressed really. This is the first dist-upgrade I have done. I only escaped ******* about 6 months ago and am well glad I gave this a go.
No wonder I didn't learn much in over 10 years of using Windows-I was too worried about it breaking and the resultant data loss. That sort of behaviour doesn't really occur theses days.
I am a happy customer.
:KS
dkaddict

M$LOL
April 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I won't upgrade unless there are definite benefits that are clearly better than Edgy. If I see that there are things included that I think I really need, I'll consider upgrading. Otherwise I'm sticking with Edgy.