PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the joys of source

word_virus
June 7th, 2005, 04:11 AM
AUUGH!

I just downloaded a program that needed me to plug my LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE IN DEGREES, MINUTES, AND SECONDS directly into a C header file before I could build it!

Why? Why? Why?!!?

tread
June 7th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Bad programming? :)
I hate to admit it, but I do that sometimes still .. esp. when I am in a hurry. Considering how much time it takes to accept command line arguments, what I do is down right shameful!

HungSquirrel
June 7th, 2005, 04:31 AM
What program is this?

Gtaylor
June 7th, 2005, 04:45 AM
What program is this?
A really crappy GIS app? :)

word_virus
June 7th, 2005, 07:07 AM
What program is this?

Hehe, it's 'wyrd', a curses-based front-end to 'remind' from roaring penguin.

When I saw in the README file that I would have to plug in my lat/long I almost rm -rf'ed it on the spot, but I'd already downloaded 4 megs of dependencies, done a dpkg --purge remove of the 'remind' binary available in universe and compiled it from source to get the x.xx.x1 version upgrade needed to get wyrd to work, so I figured I may as well go through with it :)

This program was exactly what I was looking for and I'm glad I installed it (I'm a terminal app junkie). I was expecting a simple three-step install, and instead got something else entirely. After I vented about it I thought it was pretty funny, though.

eyequeue
June 7th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Hehe, it's 'wyrd', a curses-based front-end to 'remind' from roaring penguin.

When I saw in the README file that I would have to plug in my lat/long

Considering it already parses a .wyrdrc, I'd think it would accept it from there. Oh well. Interesting anyway.