PDA

View Full Version : An ethernet splicer or switch

BWF89
April 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
In my room I have a PC and a Playstation 2. In order to use the internet or play online games I have to unhook one, run the cable across the room, and hook up the other.

Is there such a device that I could hook the ethernet cable coming into the room into that could act as a cable TV splicer and give both machines internet access? Or one with a switch so I could easily switch between PC and PS2? Just something so that I don't have to run a second ethernet cable all the way down to my room or continue connecting and disconnecting cables like I do now.

letitsnow
April 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
yes...a router. they go for 30-40$

i have a related question, can i put another ethernet card in my computer and connect to the net with my ps2 through the computer?
it would go like this:

ps2--computer--router--cable modem

bionnaki
April 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
that's what routers are for.

BWF89
April 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
@Routers idea: I already have one. But it's at the complete opposite end of my house. I want to know if theres something I can buy to splice the ethernet cable already coming from my router so that I don't need to make the holes in the walls and floors the cable is going through bigger and only buy a few feet of cable rather than 80-100 needed if I were to run it completely across the house.

BWF89
April 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
double post

afljafa
April 6th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Small 5 port ethernet switch will do the job nicely.

use a name
April 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM
yep, a switch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch) or even an hub (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hub_%28computer%29) will help you. These are 'splicers'. A router (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router) will also work, but those are intended for making subnets. Would be a bit overkill.

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I`ve been looking at those 5 port switches myself this last day or two although my situation is a bit different...we have 2 ip addresses (stb & modem) so i have the 1meg line up to the pc`s upstair where my older kids can use the internet without tooo much babysitting and i have the 10meg line into my own machine here although i do also have a second machine setup here that my younger children use so i can keep an eye on things....

Switches,crossovers cables,routers???????
I believe i`m right in thinking a "switch" would only allow me to quickly switch the internet connection back & forward between the 2 pc`s where as using the crossover cable would actually let me share the connection between the 2 although i dont really know for sure.

It only takes 2 seconds to swap the wire over and I know i could just buy a cheap router but if all i needed was a cable to share.........?????I have a couple of spare network cards in my box of junk but no crossover cable(or crimpers).

:confused:

afljafa
April 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I`ve been looking at those 5 port switches myself this last day or two although my situation is a bit different...we have 2 ip addresses (stb & modem) so i have the 1meg line up to the pc`s upstair where my older kids can use the internet without tooo much babysitting and i have the 10meg line into my own machine here although i do also have a second machine setup here that my younger children use so i can keep an eye on things....

I believe i`m right in thinking a "switch" would only allow me to quickly switch the internet connection back & forward between the 2 pc`s where as using the crossover cable would actually let me share the connection between the 2 although i dont really know for sure.

It only takes 2 seconds to swap the wire over and I know i could just buy a cheap router but if all i needed was a cable to share.........?????I have a couple of spare network cards in my box of junk but no crossover cable(or crimpers).

:confused:

No - A network switch is all you need as well. It will allow both machines to access the internet at the same time. Grab a 5 port unit and connect the modem and both machines.

Re reading your post - do you have one or two internet connections?

TravisNewman
April 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM
just get a cheap hub from the thrift store. I got a few hubs a few years back for $1 each :)

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Re reading your post - do you have one or two internet connections?

Yup.......2 m8.
One via the Set Top Box and the other via the cable modem.

Having the 2 connections is the reason we`ve never really bothered with the router up till now.

afljafa
April 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yup.......2 m8.
One via the Set Top Box and the other via the cable modem.

Having the 2 connections is the reason we`ve never really bothered with the router up till now.

Connect the switch to the two downstairs pc`s and the modem and away you go.

use a name
April 6th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Switches don't switch. ;) They just connect. So, no switching involved.

The benefit of a switch over a hub is that traffic is guided the right way instead of broadcasting it to all ports, so if your lan is busy, it will help, otherwise you won't notice the difference between a switch and a hub in this situation.

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Switches don't switch. They just connect. So, no switching involved.

Cheers,I`ll go grab one off of Ebay or somewhere.....
It`s handy having 2 ip addresses but even thats not always enough now.

BWF89
April 6th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I didn't automatically think of ethernet hubs.

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Sorry for hyjacking your thread BFW89......we both wanted the same info so hope you did`nt mind.

xpod
April 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
The inevitable "Sods law" strikes again it seems...

I only went and ordered the 5 port switch last night then today realised that the spare orange ethernet cable i had tucked away was in fact a crossover cable:?

All working great with the cable & the 2 extra cards plonked in i`m glad to say:)
The hub\switch will still come in handy though and i did only pay a £10 for it so no great loss eh:)

seki
May 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM
In my room I have a PC and a Playstation 2. In order to use the internet or play online games I have to unhook one, run the cable across the room, and hook up the other.

Is there such a device that I could hook the ethernet cable coming into the room into that could act as a cable TV splicer and give both machines internet access? Or one with a switch so I could easily switch between PC and PS2? Just something so that I don't have to run a second ethernet cable all the way down to my room or continue connecting and disconnecting cables like I do now.

The trick is to obtain a specific IP address for each of your terminal devices (e.g. PS2 or PC...). Most of the ISP's give you just one IP address. If you obtained more then one IP from your ISP, then you use a switch or hub.
If this is not your case and you have only one IP address for all terminal devices, then you use a ROUTER. Most of the routers have built in DHCP server and are capable of submitting proper IP address to each device connected to them, thus creating an inner network (subnet, local area network) that is separated from outside network (wide area network). Further, most of those home routers are "programmable", you can change the behaviour of your router to accommodate your specific needs. Also, most of them have more then one LAN (local area network) port which you use to connect your terminal devices (PC's PS's or else).
That's enough so far. But, there is a great story about firewall, NAT, static routing, DMZ, VPN ... all those fine and usefull mechanisms are included in router firmware.

Cheer

lakeeast
October 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM
@Routers idea: I already have one. But it's at the complete opposite end of my house. I want to know if theres something I can buy to splice the ethernet cable already coming from my router so that I don't need to make the holes in the walls and floors the cable is going through bigger and only buy a few feet of cable rather than 80-100 needed if I were to run it completely across the house.

If you already have had a router, the best solution is to use a pair of RJ45/Cat5e splitters, one at each end of the existing Ethernet cable. This way, you can connect two network devices to two router ports by one cable. You can buy such splitters from ebay or amazon. Here is a link to such splitters on ebay:

RJ45/Cat5e Splitter (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350108021303)