PDA

View Full Version : Free Software Group May Bar Novell From New Code

John.Michael.Kane
April 1st, 2007, 12:13 AM
Have a read..
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198700987&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

Discuss if you like..

spinflick
April 1st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Yeah and if that that dont work burn them. ;)

DoctorMO
April 1st, 2007, 12:32 AM
It's not really a ban, it's a term which Novell can't accept since if they release any gplv3 code any patent agreements get passed onto EVERYBODY and I bet microsoft won't like that one bit and it'll put Novell in hot water.

They're being candid about the impact but ultimately their deal shows a complete disregard for the floss community and rather than be punished we are simply fixing the holes in the gpl that should have prevented this kind of abuse in the first place.

The fact that it will hurt them is only an enjoyable secondary result.

K.Mandla
April 1st, 2007, 01:34 AM
It's all part of Microsoft's master plan.

Ireclan
April 1st, 2007, 02:14 AM
I think Novell is an idiot for collaborating with Microsoft. It's like making friends with a pit viper. Microsoft has no compelling reason to "play nice" with Novell. I think Microsoft will stab them in the back (how, I don't know, but with it being Microsoft, they'll find a way) the first chance they get.

darkhatter
April 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM
I don't like the whole Novell Microsoft deal but Novell has done a lot of good things for Linux. Microsoft's customers wanted Linux to work better with windows so I guess thats a reason for Microsoft to not kill Novell. I hope this doesn't happen cause I'm really going to miss Novell, I like Sled and openSuse