PDA

View Full Version : Programming with Ruby ?

ThaDoctor99
March 31st, 2007, 11:16 PM
Hi

Are there any others who are programming with ruby on ubuntu, I would like to know somebody else who also do this.
I like ruby really a lot, I don't really like python I think ruby is a lot better it is OOP which is really great - if it is not done the same lame as python is, you have to write all the spaces, but there is no pre-installed mode for emacs, and they aren't having anything like cpan for python.
But ruby is really neat.
I just need to figure out something about how I could do somethings as I have just started so I need to learn the language from the really fundamentals to the really wild and insane programs...

I hoped to find a little help in here.

Jmccaffrey
March 31st, 2007, 11:47 PM
You sir need the Pickaxe book: http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/ enjoy!

pmasiar
April 1st, 2007, 04:43 AM
I like ruby really a lot, I don't really like python I think ruby is a lot better it is OOP which is really great - if it is not done the same lame as python is,

blah blah i know only a little but ruby is better than sliced bread blah blah.

My bet is you don't know many languages (less than 5) and did not maintained thousands of lines of code written by someone else 5 years ago, who left the company :-) so your understanding of programming languages and appreciation of their features is little different from people who did the above.

People who did the above can appreciate multiple other languages as they are, with pros, cons and warts, without talking down other languages. Ruby and Python are pretty similar. But even if compete for mindshare in the same niche, it does not mean that people preferring one should spread stink about the other. making stink like you do makes you look like a Ruby fanboy without real understanding of the issues. FYI we already had a discussion comparing dynamically typed languages like Python and Ruby, couple times, and if you really had something meaningful to add to enrich the discussion and understanding, you could add it there.

I prefer Python, one of the reason is the significant whitespace you dislike - because whitespace allows code written by other people look like my own, so I can read and maintain it easier.

Another reason I prefer Python is (as you just learned) Python is little more mature and has more libraries, and bigger acceptance in big companies, etc.

But still I have no problem if other people use Ruby, or Java, or C. I feel secure enough with my choice of Python that I do not feel the urge to talk down language preferred by other people. And I am ready use other languages, if it makes more sense. Use the best tool for a job.

ThaDoctor99
April 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM
I don't particularly dislike people who like python, I just don't like the language myself.
Ruby and python are really a lot like each other, I know that I just like the ruby part better.
Not that I hate python I might have said written something that should not be written there.
But I did only ask for a little help so I could end up being the guy that maintained that software written by a guy who now have left his job.
But I couldn't really be that guy I am only 17...

Doovoo
April 1st, 2007, 11:07 PM
I like ruby better than python (not dissing python, just my opinion) and I encourage people to learn ruby because it has less libraries and communities built around it. The only way for it to gain traction and acceptance is for more people to use it and develop libraries and applications for it.

Also, it's true python and ruby, while they have many fundamental differences, aren't too different. I can look at python code and translate it to ruby pretty easily.