PDA

View Full Version : Ogle - THE answer to all my DVD playing problems!

somewhat
March 31st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Just thought I would give a mention to this great app - looking at its web page its been around a long time and hasnt seen a new release for some time. But it just works! In researching DVD playback in the wikis etc it never really gets a mention. Do I have rights to edit https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs and put a reference to it?

I'd really like to make it known - I mucked around for hours on end last night before finally giving up and just booting into VIsta so I could enjoy a movie, which had its own share of problems and I'd rather others dont have to do the same. Basically after trying all the usual suspects mentioned I had the following issues:

totem (totem-gstreamer)
No menu support (not a deal breaker but would be nice), Seeking crashed or froze playback, would play chapter one, then play in chapter one again but in German etc ;)

mplayer
No menus again, and also an issue with subtitles - I dont know how to handle this but its seems they are either on or off, it didn't pop them up when just relevant (ie I was watching star wars 1 and subtitles are supposed to pop up occasionally)

VLC
same issues as mplayer basically

But... ogle is simple and it just works - menus and needed subtitles. Magic!

I wonder why DVD playback is so unsupported in linux? I mean DVD's have been around a long time, and when researching bugs with totem about no menus etc they have been "getting fixed" for years. I guess DVD playback is one of those things that would be great to work well for average users but is not high on the list for developers working on bigger issues.

ps totem-xine was next on my "to try" list as I read that it works well with menus, but since Ubuntu seems quite heavily invested into totem-gstreamer with its easy-codec-installation etc I didnt really want to change it.

tbroderick
March 31st, 2007, 11:02 PM
You could install xine and gxine, that way you will still have totem-gstreamer.

Artificial Intelligence
March 31st, 2007, 11:08 PM
Never had any problems with VLC.
Though I use xine for my browser as I find it best for the job.

reacocard
April 1st, 2007, 01:43 AM
You could install xine and gxine, that way you will still have totem-gstreamer.

I second that. xine-ui is my dvd player of choice, and gxine is a close second. Excellent menu support on each, and highly configurable too.

somewhat
April 1st, 2007, 04:22 AM
good point - I actually forgot about just using xine-ui or gxine, that was another thing I was going to try. I still live in hope that someone will say they found my suggestion useful though ;)

I guess I got a little over excited as last night was the first "grr damn linux" moment when I just booted into Windows so I could get something done, then I found out today there is a better alternative and it can be done in linux"

These moments are happening less and less these days :)