PDA

View Full Version : Xfce

savas
June 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Hi friends. I have installed Xfce on Ubuntu. But when i use Xfce, my keyboard does not work properly. For example, when i press turkish characters of keyboard. It doesn't write any thing(even wrong characters). I could not find any suitable section for this question. Because of this i asked it here. Thanks.

poofyhairguy
June 6th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Hi friends. I have installed Xfce on Ubuntu. But when i use Xfce, my keyboard does not work properly. For example, when i press turkish characters of keyboard. It doesn't write any thing(even wrong characters). I could not find any suitable section for this question. Because of this i asked it here. Thanks.

Well....XFCE isn't the best desktop environment. Its under heavy development and lacks some refinement on its edges. If you have a machine the Gnome won't run well on, and XFCE dislikes (or maybe it just dislikes not english) then your best bet by far is to use Kubuntu/KDE.

benplaut
June 7th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Well....XFCE isn't the best desktop environment.

alot of that is personal prefence :wink:

savas
June 7th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I have used gnome and kde. But i don't need a lot of thing that gnome and kde can do. I only want a simple desktop(or window) manager that looks good. I used xfce yesterday and i like it. It is so simple and meets all i want. There is only one minus, turkish keyboard support. If i could aciave to work it, i will use it. It seems there is a bug. Except this, i thing xfce is good enough to use. At least it is over the average.

jdong
June 7th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Well....XFCE isn't the best desktop environment. Its under heavy development and lacks some refinement on its edges.

Well, I will have to disagree with that. XFCE4 is the best desktop environment for lightweight use. Before XFCE, my old systems were forced to Fluxbox and IceWM, so XFCE is very nice in comparison. Also, XFCE is also GTK2, so your GTK apps (Firefox) blend in very well.

savas
June 7th, 2005, 03:03 PM
İ find the what is wrong. When i have edit xconf.org, i assigned trq to XkbLayout. It should be tr. I change it and the problem solved.

mrtaber
June 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Good news, Savas. I enjoy Xfce myself...but, since my machine can handle it, I run Gnome. That's one of the main reasons I run Ubuntu...I want a full-on Gnome desktop.

Mark :)

poofyhairguy
June 7th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Well, I will have to disagree with that. XFCE4 is the best desktop environment for lightweight use.

Probably is. But no matter what anyone wants to think, XFCE isn't half as easy to use as Gnome or KDE.

j-rock
June 7th, 2005, 07:11 PM
But no matter what anyone wants to think, XFCE isn't half as easy to use as Gnome or KDE.

Once again, opinion. I abhor using gnome or kde. From the first moment I touched them, I thought the *boxen were the easiest.

Opinions are like, uhhhh, bellybuttons. . . ;-) ;-)

Brunellus
June 7th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Probably is. But no matter what anyone wants to think, XFCE isn't half as easy to use as Gnome or KDE.

It isn't half as easy to configure, sure. But once configured, I find it much much easier to use.

Actually, I'd be happy if Gnome implemented the right-click menu that XFCE and Fluxbox use. I love it; it saves me from having to go all the way to the "programs" menu to launch something. I just right-click on the desktop and possibilities just start flowing out. It's definitely a cool thing, especially when you show it to Windows users.

(the other nice thing about most WMs is the virtual desktop idea--it's ludicrous that MS hasn't thought to implement it in windows. It makes life so much easier!)

What would it take to roll together a polished XFCE-based ubuntu distribution (Xubuntu?)? That would certainly help out people like the original poster. Is such an effort underway? How can I help?

Gtaylor
June 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I'd imagine an XFCE based Ubuntu would see a lot less usage and support than Ubuntu/Kubuntu. While I think XFCE is fine and have ran it on my older machines, the userbase is much smaller than the giants.

I think you'd have better luck trying to get some people rounded up to improve the XFCE related packages and make it easier to install for those who'd like to run it rather than go encouraging yet another fork that a comparatively small portion of the Ubuntu group would actually use.

But then again, with open-source you're free to do whatever you want :)