PDA

View Full Version : A New Linux Distro

gruffy-06
March 31st, 2007, 06:19 PM
I have ideas for what could be a new Linux distribution.

Some of the key points I would like to see achieved are:

# Real-time compression of everything using a compression device embedded with its own processor - meaning less load on the main CPU. Compression strength based on overall system power.
# No rebooting during kernel upgrades (all applications designed to be kernel-independent).
# Advanced X Window System fully utilizing power of graphics hardware and eliminates tearing and other unattractive artifacts.
# A new desktop environment - could utilize existing technology or something nobody has ever heard of.
# Awesome next-gen graphics and sound effects. In fact, make the distro an instant blast into the future.
# Built-in clustering support to increase system wide performance

Those are just some of the points. If anybody has any ideas or improvements, please post them here. The distro might arrive in a few years time or maybe it might turn to scrap...

boredandblogging.com
March 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM

# No rebooting during kernel upgrades (all applications designed to be kernel-independent).

I'm confused by this. You don't reboot when doing kernel upgrades now. Are you saying no reboots after the kernel has been upgraded? Isn't a kernel upgrade supposed to give you something beneficial? Why would not want to reboot to start using a new kernel?

Dual Cortex
March 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
# A new desktop environment - could utilize existing technology or something nobody has ever heard of.
# Awesome next-gen graphics and sound effects. In fact, make the distro an instant blast into the future.

# Makes a PBJ sandwich every day at 7:30AM

daynah
March 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM
# Advanced X Window System fully utilizing power of graphics hardware and eliminates tearing and other unattractive artifacts.

Sounds fabulous, but very, very vague. You will absoutely have to put more work into getting some real goals into it before you start. These two aren't goals. Everyone wants insanely awesome graphics and a creative desktop environment (truely creative, see bumptop). People also want to fully utlilize all of their video card. If you have a $40 card, you want to get the most for your money, 'cause otherwise you're gonna be just on console, and if you have $120 card, you wanna get the most for your money 'cause gosh darn it you paid so much it better do some fancy stuff.

My suggest is... get better goals.

Majorix
March 31st, 2007, 09:31 PM
This is not a good idea. Why? Because it asks for too much. These are impossible to achieve for now. If they were easy to achieve, you would see them in all Linux distros.

If you want to design a new Linux distro just don't be asking for too much. I am not saying you shouldn't put in something new, now that would be bad. I am just saying that you should just hold onto the reality a little.

Good luck.

dbbolton
March 31st, 2007, 09:34 PM
i could go for that.

karellen
March 31st, 2007, 09:56 PM

Some of the key points I would like to see achieved are:

# Real-time compression of everything using a compression device embedded with its own processor - meaning less load on the main CPU. Compression strength based on overall system power.

Those are just some of the points. If anybody has any ideas or improvements, please post them here. The distro might arrive in a few years time or maybe it might turn to scrap...

#cure cancer
#eradicate poverty
#scratch your back

are you a big fan of sf literature?...

Majorix
March 31st, 2007, 10:19 PM
I am not a mod or anything but may I please ask of you to stop flaming the topic starter? It hurts him and the readers too.

karellen
March 31st, 2007, 10:32 PM
I am not a mod or anything but may I please ask of you to stop flaming the topic starter? It hurts him and the readers too.

not flaming, just making fun ;). I have no mischievous intentions
and by the way, have you read the topic? maybe you could expres a thought or two about it

Majorix
March 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah I have read the topic and replied, #5 is my post :)

spinflick
March 31st, 2007, 11:51 PM

Would rather have the two boiled eggs and soldiers option. ;)

dbbolton
March 31st, 2007, 11:55 PM
could it also counterfit money and pay taxes ?

not necessarily in that order. but ideally.

23meg
March 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM
To a very large extent, distros don't develop software; they only put it together in certain ways. If you'd like "super advanced X, very fast Y and the ultimate in Z" for Linux to exist, the way to do it isn't ask for or start a new distro that will somehow magically have them, but actually develop X, Y and Z in a way that distros can utilize, or create or reinforce the conditions in which they can be developed.

Nils Olav
April 1st, 2007, 02:03 AM

That's not something a distro does.

That would take an absurd amount of work and there would then be no point of a kernel.

Thats what X implementation are for.

Nothing is wrong with this.

huh?

Nothing is wrong with this but, it has already been done.