PDA

View Full Version : The built in Bittorrent client in Opera is simply the best Bittorrent client to date

RAV TUX
March 31st, 2007, 07:14 AM
In search for the best Bittorrent client I have overlooked the obvious best Bittorrent client to date!....it's built in the Opera browser by default...

What could be simpler?

Again Opera never ceases to impress:)

slimdog360
March 31st, 2007, 07:27 AM
Never noticed it, I'll have to give it a try.

fuscia
March 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM
that and the mail client are just two more bonuses to using opera.

rav, no one will ever accuse you of understatement.

manmower
March 31st, 2007, 09:28 AM
Too bad it's Qt... I have this thing about not mixing toolkits. :)

EdThaSlayer
March 31st, 2007, 10:58 AM
The built-in client for Opera doesn't seem to be working that well for me. It can't seem to connect. Although when I use Deluge everything works perfectly fine. :)

Quillz
March 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM
I've never really like the BitTorrent client built into Opera. It's almost a bit too simplistic. I still prefer kTorrent when I'm on Linux.

Colonel Kilkenny
March 31st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Opera works ok as a bittorrent client if you just want to have simple way to download torrents. I use myself Azureus because I want to have a little bit more control over downloads. But as a feature the bittorrent client is very nice indeed, it's so simple and nicely integrated.

siimo
March 31st, 2007, 11:59 AM
Speeds don't look too flash though. What sort of speeds do you achieve with this client?

With Azureus I regularly hit 700-800KB/s and my internet connection's max is around 1000KB/s.

I tried Deluge torrent but haven't been able to get above 20-30KB/s on that ](*,) If I could get higher speeds with it then it would be my client of choice.

Somenoob
March 31st, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have tried it a couple of times, It's quite a typical client I also had trouble getting to use the right port, don't see what's so special about it. Utorrent is my preferred bittorent

SunnyRabbiera
March 31st, 2007, 02:01 PM
I dunno, sometimes I think the others are better.
Bit tornado is my favored, with azureus a second

RAV TUX
March 31st, 2007, 05:20 PM
that and the mail client are just two more bonuses to using opera.

rav, no one will ever accuse you of understatement.

The more and more I use Opera, the more I like it.

The widgets and the wand are great also.

I've never really like the BitTorrent client built into Opera. It's almost a bit too simplistic. I still prefer kTorrent when I'm on Linux.

The simplicity is what I like the best.

Opera works ok as a bittorrent client if you just want to have simple way to download torrents. I use myself Azureus because I want to have a little bit more control over downloads. But as a feature the bittorrent client is very nice indeed, it's so simple and nicely integrated.

A simple way to download a bittorrent is exactly what I am looking for.

The dedicated Bittorrent client I like the best is KTorrent

Speeds don't look too flash though. What sort of speeds do you achieve with this client?

With Azureus I regularly hit 700-800KB/s and my internet connection's max is around 1000KB/s.

I tried Deluge torrent but haven't been able to get above 20-30KB/s on that If I could get higher speeds with it then it would be my client of choice.

I like that you have brought up the speed factor I will have to take a look at this next time when doing a comparison contrast upon Bittorrent clients.

cantormath
March 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
In search for the best Bittorrent client I have overlooked the obvious best Bittorrent client to date!....it's built in the Opera browser by default...

I must say that azureus bittorent client is the best to date.

mykalreborn
March 31st, 2007, 05:37 PM
opera is pretty cool, but since it doesn't integrate that well into gnome i'm not gonna use it. and plus, no matter how cool any other torrent software is, none will match up to the power of deluge torrent. simply the best, most ergonomic, light-weight torrent client i've tried. :>
at least in my eyes. :D

RAV TUX
March 31st, 2007, 05:41 PM
opera is pretty cool, but since it doesn't integrate that well into gnome i'm not gonna use it. and plus, no matter how cool any other torrent software is, none will match up to the power of deluge torrent. simply the best, most ergonomic, light-weight torrent client i've tried. :>
at least in my eyes. I have to admit I have never tried deluge, I will have to give it a test drive one day.

SunnyRabbiera
March 31st, 2007, 06:33 PM
the worst part about operas torrent downloader is that I personally hate leaving my entire browser on to download large files, and since torrents can take days to download i really dislike leaving my browser on.

karellen
March 31st, 2007, 07:22 PM
in linux ktorrent all the way :) . in windows: bitcomet

SOULRiDER
March 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM
I tried the Opera BT client some time ago and it didnt quite fit my needs. Right now i havnt found any linux client I like so im still using uTorrent with Wine :P

Dual Cortex
March 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hmm, I LOVE opera as well, but it's bit torrent client does not seem to work well for me. Either takes a really long time to start downloading or speeds don't go high much. Ports, etc., are opened.
The built-in IRC fits my needs, though.

RAV TUX
March 31st, 2007, 09:16 PM
Hmm, I LOVE opera as well, but it's bit torrent client does not seem to work well for me. Either takes a really long time to start downloading or speeds don't go high much. Ports, etc., are opened.
The built-in IRC fits my needs, though.
I didn't realize it had a built in IRC.....can you post a quick howto use it....and a screenshot?

mykalreborn
March 31st, 2007, 09:43 PM
it seems opera is a pretty good browser. built-in torrent client, mail clinet, irc chat support, tab support, widgets, quick adding of search engines and an overall good quality.
still, i preffer firefox. it just seems more open-source, you know. :D

hoagie
March 31st, 2007, 09:46 PM
I never thought to try that out, but I don't think it will be that good to replace azureus or deluge.

picpak
March 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM
My favourites are Azereus and KTorrent, but they're way too slow of programs. Bittornado is like the best of both worlds.

RAV TUX
March 31st, 2007, 10:30 PM
I never thought to try that out, but I don't think it will be that good to replace azureus or deluge.
I wouldn't think of it as a replacement just a quick simply client if you just have one or two Torrents to download....

If I go into a poweruser mode which I will often do where I will download about a dozen or so Torrents I use a dedicated client

(I would edit the title to reflect "the best for simplicity"....but unfortunately OP's can not edit a thread title)

Perfect Storm
March 31st, 2007, 10:35 PM
I must say that azureus bittorent client is the best to date.

I agree with that. Alot of options, plugins etc.

RAV TUX
March 31st, 2007, 10:36 PM
I agree with that. Alot of options, plugins etc.

OT...nice new avatar AI

Perfect Storm
March 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM
OT...nice new avatar AI

Thanks ^_^
It's character is from a new MMORPG game (which also will be available for linux) Wakfu.

daynah
March 31st, 2007, 10:43 PM
What seredipity that you reminded me this! I don't torrent very often... but Doctor Who starts today. And I hate pretty much all bittorrent clients. I'll have to try it. :)

yabbadabbadont
March 31st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks ^_^
It's character is from a new MMORPG game (which also will be available for linux) Wakfu.

Kind of looks like a blue version of the robot in "Fooly Cooly". (Lord Conti?)

Perfect Storm
March 31st, 2007, 10:50 PM
Kind of looks like a blue version of the robot in "Fooly Cooly". (Lord Conti?)

It aren't ;)
http://gaming.gwos.org/news.php?item.12

yabbadabbadont
March 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM
It aren't ;)
http://gaming.gwos.org/news.php?item.12

I know. I just said that it kind of looks like him... :p (so there) :lol:

It's good to see that the gwos website is back up again. I couldn't get to it yesterday. You should name that server "Yo-Yo" ;)

Perfect Storm
March 31st, 2007, 10:56 PM
I know. I just said that it kind of looks like him... :p (so there) :lol:

It's good to see that the gwos website is back up again. I couldn't get to it yesterday. You should name that server "Yo-Yo" ;)

Got enemies that uses dirty methodes.

daynah
March 31st, 2007, 11:48 PM
I'm dumb I can't get it to work. :(

EDIT: Doh! All is right with the world. A few months ago, I had changed the router settings to prevent my dad from downloading HBO, 'cause our service provider sent us a letter. :P I completely forgot. I need a nap.

Dual Cortex
April 1st, 2007, 02:23 AM
I didn't realize it had a built in IRC.....can you post a quick howto use it....and a screenshot?

Well, take a look here for Opera's 'guide'
http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/using/chat/

Opera =D>

:guitar:

Polygon
April 1st, 2007, 03:01 AM
its good if you use opera, but if you dont, people are not going to download/install opera just to use the built in bittorrent client

and not to mention that its awfuly simplistic. My current favorite is azureus/utorrent, and once deluge starts getting some upnp support, i will use that.

SOULRiDER
April 1st, 2007, 03:38 AM
its good if you use opera, but if you dont, people are not going to download/install opera just to use the built in bittorrent client

and not to mention that its awfuly simplistic. My current favorite is azureus/utorrent, and once deluge starts getting some upnp support, i will use that.

I feel the same way, its just too simple for me, but for everything else Opera just rocks! I feel azureus is too bloated and im not going to use deluge just yet. uTorrent is still the best option for me, but i hope that will change soon....

daynah
April 1st, 2007, 03:57 AM
Eh, I think all of the torrents have t heir problems. Azureus has memory loss (same reason I don't use firefox, btw). It is bloated, also. uTorrent is really too much work for someone who isn't constantly torrenting (me). So... most of the time, I'm just doing a random torrent that I don't need any special features. Opera's perfect for it.

The only thing I can think I need it to do that it doesn't do is sometimes I want to only download some files from the set (like if I found the complete Tom Baker, and I really only wanted what he did in a certain season).

ButteBlues
April 1st, 2007, 07:36 AM
Just because Opera's BT client is simplistic, that doesn't mean it's good. Hell the GNOME Bittorrent Client is simple, but complete *** when it comes to torrents.

uTorrent is by leagues the best application available.