PDA

View Full Version : All Hail Ubuntu Linux, Saved my ****!

DoctorMO
March 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Just come back from a deadly attack of stupidity. trying out a second hand firewire router on my wifes mac mini so we can have more than one port, I plug in my burner then I take a black wire I thought was plugged into my hard disk and instead it was plugged into my desktop.

Poof, both computers go down and my wife is not amused, nor am I for that matter. the acrid spell of lead and rare earth elements burning is a sure sign that something is dead.

After about 10 minutes my computer comes back alive, power. won't boot.

Then the mac mini comes back, boots everything looks fine no hardware dead.

Sure enough my main hard drive (20GB Maxtor) is fried, you can see the rathe rinteresting scorch marks where one of the chips on the undersided melted.

Now here is where linux shows it's strenth, like a good linux admin I have all my data on a second hard drive (250GB Western Digital) which seemed to be ok, at least ok minus an operating system (which is good because I didn't want to loose latest revisions of dohickey code) so I reinstall dapper from an existing cd onto the WD hard drive, making space for some new partitions (I kept a spare partition at the start of the disk fortunaly).

I'm constantly amazed at how fast ubuntu installs. 10 minutes later my computer was up and running. baring a problem with the wifi card (physical problem) and because I could tell the install where my home folder was I log in and all my stuff is where I left it. even my trash folder still has all the things I deleted. fantastic stuff.

So for this I think my fellow developers on the Linux, GNU and other imperitive projects which saved me from myself.

Dual Cortex
March 30th, 2007, 11:21 PM
:popcorn:
Good story... congratulations :guitar:

:mrgreen:

And obviously a thanks to the devs from me as well.

DoctorMO
March 31st, 2007, 02:02 AM
I can't belive the filter blocks the word -A-R-S-E it's a real part of the human boddy unless we have to say 'rumps'

FoolsGold
March 31st, 2007, 02:10 AM
I can't belive the filter blocks the word -A-R-S-E it's a real part of the human boddy unless we have to say 'rumps'

There is a popular forum I life to visit, where you can use pretty-much any vulgarity you like (particularly the F-word). The forum is for a computer magazine and yet we're still allowed to talk with ultimate freedom.

Then again, the mag/forum is Australian, so I guess we have less politically-correct crap to deal with. Ah well. Good story from the OP anyway.

%hMa@?b<C
March 31st, 2007, 02:23 AM
oh. I hate that popping noise and the spark, happened to me twice (luckily no ruined hardware *knocks on wood*)