PDA

View Full Version : What is your method of Archiving?

Mr Wrath
March 30th, 2007, 03:59 PM
What is the best method of Archiving files? I just wanted to get a general idea of the best and safest way of archiving one's files. Do you use massive Hard Drives, or burn everything to DVD's. This is open to any method...Let me know. At the moment, I have been using a Dapper Drake OS with a large amount of storage space where I store the files for immediate retrieval and I also create DVD's where I tar the files, then gzip them, and burn. I then store the DVD's in a fire proof cabinet. What are your methods?

nsleiman
March 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Well my most important data is always back up on my USB (1gb is more th enough for me) and everything else i put on a CD (rarely DVD); Yes i have pretty much of archived data :)

justin whitaker
March 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM
External harddrives, to which I back up regularly, and make sure that they are ext3 formatted and disconnected from my running system, and usually powered off.

I used to do the whole DVD thing, but with some 50gb of MP3s, I have lost discs, had cyclic redundancy errors, and all other sorts of issues with questionable burns. Try explaining to your wife that you can't get at your wedding pictures because a DVD failed. :(

Man_Beach
March 30th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I zip them up and keep a copy on my personal directory at work.

jariku
March 30th, 2007, 04:45 PM
External USB HD (now NTFS, will reformat it to ext3 when Microsoft drops support for XP) and DVD-Rs.

I order the DVD-Rs bulk from Estonia, where they cost about 1/5 of their cost here.

♞Knight
March 30th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I backup everything to an external USB disk that I keep in a safety deposity box. :popcorn:

beercz
March 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I backup to an large file server using rsnapshot (http://rsnapshot.org/)

Easy, automated, very fast and very reliable.

I backup on a daily basis using it.

Simply brilliant!

SunnyRabbiera
March 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I use an external

karellen
March 30th, 2007, 06:40 PM
the only stuff that matters are my personal documents and my e-book collection (aprox 3 giga). they are all writen on cds and my favourties uploaded in my gmail accout

AndyCooll
March 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I backup everything to an external HDD once a week.

:cool:

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM
the only thing I backup is the book i'm writing. I do that through a script that tars the files and copies one to a hidden /home/ folder and the other to my usb device.

the other stuff doesn't need to be backuped. worse can scenario i can also put in a livecd and then mount the hard drive and backup stuff after the problem has already occured.

Mr Wrath
April 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your input everybody...it looks like I need to research the lifespan of External HD's. If any of you have a preferred External HD, let me know. I will be watching the thread. Thanks.

Sunflower1970
April 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Right now I back up to DVD's...I plan to buy a very large capacity external HD sometime in the future for archiving though.