PDA

View Full Version : Can't listen to MLB with Linux?

JAPrufrock
March 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Apparently, I will not be able to listen to Major League Baseball games this year with my Linux box. According to these specifications (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_system_requirements.jsp) I need either a Windows of Mac OS, with Windows Media Player. Maybe my MPlayer Movie Player will work, but I decided not to subscribe. Instead, I sent this note:

My OS is a Linux distribution (Ubuntu). I have RealPlayer 10 installed for audio, and not Windows Media Player. You have excluded me from the possibility of signing up (as well as another 29 million or so other Linux users). Your bad.
I sent the message 2 days ago. So far, no answer.

igknighted
March 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure you could play that stream, if it isn't encrypted with some sort of DRM. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
people take those things too seriously. they do that to save themselves from having to support linux. they are only trained to help people who are having problem listening in windows. you can probably still subscribe, but you're on your own if something doesn't work.

fuscia
March 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM
last year, but this might help - http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/baseball/mlb_linux.php

i thought they were doing you a favor. if the canes miss the playoffs, it's going to be a long time waiting for football to start. (i have no idea who any of my fantasy baseball players are, except ichiro, jeter and howard.)

DJ_Peng
March 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
That's a nice link, fuscia. I hope theyupdate it soon now that we have a working Flash plugin. I haven't tried listening to any of the games so far this year (I wish I had tried though) but I hope it works. I'm trying to pull off a subscription myself so I can enjoy my beloved Dodgers this year, which is a hard thing to do from Red Sox Nation. :(

ThrobbingBrain66
March 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Apparently, I will not be able to listen to Major League Baseball games this year with my Linux box. According to these specifications (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_system_requirements.jsp) I need either a Windows of Mac OS, with Windows Media Player. Maybe my MPlayer Movie Player will work, but I decided not to subscribe. Instead, I sent this note:

I sent the message 2 days ago. So far, no answer.

You probably haven't received a reply because the last sentence in your note is completely unprofessional. 'Your bad'...are you kidding me? I'm sure someone read that and immediately deleted it. It isn't the customer service rep's choice not to support Linux. Anyway, if I were you, I'd send another, more professional e-mail. You may get a response.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM
you won't receive a reply because:

1) Linux users account for less than ten percent of all desktops. Of that percentage, I'd hazard that most are usingn Linux concurrently with Windows (dual boot, virtual machine, time on a Windows machine, and so forth).

2) Baseball doesn't give a rat's asterisk about minority internet users.

3) The revenue they lose from Linux users is miniscule.

See Bug #1.

fuscia
March 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
That's a nice link, fuscia. I hope theyupdate it soon now that we have a working Flash plugin. I haven't tried listening to any of the games so far this year (I wish I had tried though) but I hope it works. I'm trying to pull off a subscription myself so I can enjoy my beloved Dodgers this year, which is a hard thing to do from Red Sox Nation. :(

all hail the 'gyro'!1

Brunellus
March 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
all hail the 'gyro'!1
it'll be interesting to see what Dice-K does in the AL. Now all I want Koji Uehara to come and play somewhere in the National League.

yabbadabbadont
March 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Pity me. I'm a Royals fan. :(

(Ok, we don't have a cool losing streak like the Cubs, but we have set records for being bad.)

Brunellus
March 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM

(Ok, we don't have a cool losing streak like the Cubs, but we have set records for being bad.)
/me pities the foo.

It wasn't always bad for the Royals. I remember George Brett....

fuscia
March 30th, 2007, 05:49 PM
i stopped paying attention to baseball after the red sox lost in '86, on purpose.

speaking of which, anyone hear anything more about buckner's apparent suicide attempt (threw himself in front of a train)?

tbroderick
March 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
speaking of which, anyone hear anything more about buckner's apparent suicide attempt (threw himself in front of a train)?

That's just an old joke, he threw himself in front of a train but it went between his legs.

fuscia
March 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
That's just an old joke, he threw himself in front of a train but it went between his legs.

darn you!

r4ik
March 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Nice avatar ! :)

plb
March 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
You could always use some form of emulation e.g VMware, qemu, wine...

fuscia
March 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Nice avatar ! :)

if you're talking to me, thanks. i still don't forgive the disrespect you showed 'lipkid', though.

r4ik
March 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
No disrespect just a different kind of "taste"

fuscia
March 30th, 2007, 11:24 PM
'lipkid' is a deity!

prizrak
March 30th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I don't seem to have a problem playing WMV stuff with FFmpeg and gstreamer with all the plugin packs installed. I'm on Feisty though, maybe Edgy won't be able to do it.

JAPrufrock
March 31st, 2007, 12:12 AM
I don't seem to have a problem playing WMV stuff with FFmpeg and gstreamer with all the plugin packs installed. I'm on Feisty though, maybe Edgy won't be able to do it.

Problem is if I try and it doesn't work, I'm out around $15. Either that or I boot up XP and use Media Player, something I haven't done in quite a while.

prizrak
March 31st, 2007, 04:39 AM
Problem is if I try and it doesn't work, I'm out around $15. Either that or I boot up XP and use Media Player, something I haven't done in quite a while.

Did you try with Feisty? I think they have different versions of FFMpeg. Chances are it has DRM wrapper on it.

JAPrufrock
March 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
I have 2 boxes, one with Edgy and the other with Dapper 64bit. I suppose if I subscribe and it doesn't work I can always switch one of them to Feisty.

prizrak
April 1st, 2007, 03:36 AM
I have 2 boxes, one with Edgy and the other with Dapper 64bit. I suppose if I subscribe and it doesn't work I can always switch one of them to Feisty.
Don't know if it will actually work with Feisty you should try with the LIveCD I guess.

jharbert
April 3rd, 2007, 03:00 AM

:-$ The Cubs are going to win it this year. ;)

yabbadabbadont
April 3rd, 2007, 03:16 AM
:-$ The Cubs are going to win it this year. ;)

Well.... as of today: Royals (1-0), Cubs (0-1) Woo Hoo! Go Royals! (They'll still lose a hundred games this year. I have faith in them. :( )

JAPrufrock
April 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Well, I managed to sign up for a season of MLB games. Although Linux is not mentioned as an acceptable OS, I was able to log on and connect using Flash and Mplayer (using Dapper 64bit). Go Bosox.

tbroderick
April 3rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
So are you going to write an apology letter?

JAPrufrock
April 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM
So are you going to write an apology letter?

I would have, had they answered my email.

Brunellus
April 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Well.... as of today: Royals (1-0), Cubs (0-1) Woo Hoo! Go Royals! (They'll still lose a hundred games this year. I have faith in them. :( )
Grudzlieanek is on my fantasy squad. The Royals are a puzzlement to me--they could be so much better....

yabbadabbadont
April 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Grudzlieanek is on my fantasy squad. The Royals are a puzzlement to me--they could be so much better....

They are what happens when a team is owned by Walmart... (well, not directly owned, but still) A couple years ago someone asked the owner(s) about spending more money on the team. The gist of the reply was, "Why should we spend more money on them? We made a million dollars profit last year." Granted, it is a business, but not caring if your team is in the crapper every year as long as they turn a profit. That's not thinking long term. They'll lose all their ticket sales eventually.

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM

It probably won't work even in Feisty. I have the win32 codecs installed in Feisty, and certain online things still won't work. Some examples are my local weather report at www.wthr.com and music downloads from walmart.com. Some things just have to have Windows Media Player to work. I wonder if you could run Internet Explorer and WMP through wine to get it to work.

wolfm
April 7th, 2007, 12:06 PM
MLB TV and Radio 2007 work fine for me with Ubuntu feisty.
I use MediaPlayerConnectivity as an add-on for Firefox which I configure to use Mplayer (not Totem) for Windows media only. I do not allow MediaPlayerConnectivity to interfere with flash.
I downloaded the Flash and MPlayer from repositories and MLB TV automatically opens in a separate window.

Saul_2
April 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Have you tried wine?

thousandrobots
June 14th, 2007, 01:05 AM
After installing mplayer and the Media Player Connectivity firefox plug-in, i can listen to the radio broadcast, but when i attempt to play the video, i get "error opening the selected video output device (-vo)".

Does anyone have any idea what the video output device should be, or where I should begin trying to figure that out?

In the Media Connectivity control panel, WMV is assigned to /usr/bin/X11/gmplayer.

I would really like to get this working. I am pretty new at this stuff, so any guidance would be appreciated.