PDA

View Full Version : Portable players with Ogg Vorbis support

Man_Beach
March 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know of any (reasonably easily available) portable music players with flash memory storage which support the Ogg Vorbis format? If so, where can I get them in the UK?

I'm aware of http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers but many of the players are discontinued, most are brands I've never heard of, I've no idea where to buy them and there's no indication of the cost.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, don't need a radio included and 512MB or 1GB would be more than adequate.

tbroderick
March 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

rubinstein
March 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I have a Cowon iAudio G3 with 1 GB. I can play almost 40 hours with one AA battery.

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 02:38 PM
iaudio is the way to go. they are the most linux-friendly media players.

Man_Beach
March 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I have a Cowon iAudio G3 with 1 GB. I can play almost 40 hours with one AA battery.

£60 (reduced from £144) is just a teeny bit over my budget.

airtonix
March 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM
an ipod nano with rockbox.....or ipodlinux..

they both play ogg...but rockbox is the best he easiest and provides some cool features you wont never get from apple....

text : large text file reading
audio : flac,ogg,shn,mp3,aac,wav ( might be more )
movie : rmv, mp4

it also lets you dual boot the ipod and you can convert the apple itunes dbase into the rockbox dbase format if you so wish to browser your songs album/artist/genre style....or you can view the directory strucutre and sort your mp3 that way

...like i preferer. i make my own genres.

but yeah it is pricy compared to cheap low-spec production fet grade plastic shite from china (not that its china or thailands fault for dodgey products....they just make the stuff to an exact spec...you get what you pay for)

steevc
March 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
The iRiver iFP players do OGG too. Have a look on ebay and you may find a bargain.

Man_Beach
March 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I don't know - there's something about Apple and their marketing strategy that I don't like, and which puts me off ipods. Not sure what, but reading articles like this http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/guide/ don't help.

bonzodog
March 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Go to PC world, and look for the Samsung range of Players. I have a small 2GB Player that supports all known formats. It doesn't say on the packaging that it supports ogg, only mp3 or wma, or aac. It actually supports FLAC and ogg as well.

steevc
April 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM
If you want some thing really cheap I just got my daughter a 2GB Sumvision M18 from ebuyer for £22. Plays OGG with no firmware changes. Also has a radio and voice recorder. Not the most user friendly device, but it's a bargain. We shall see if it lasts.

djwohls
August 21st, 2007, 10:18 PM
meizu miniplayer m6.

Found mine at Walgreens.com Not sure where to source it in UK, sorry...

4GB around $100-120 USD.

Plays video too (you have to convert it to a particular bitrate, good enough video not perfect) Music sounds great with a good set of headphones, the ones that come with it are average. plays .flac .wav .mp3 .ogg probably more (no .m4a tho). good community meizume.com to help answer your questions.

*I have no financial stake in this product, just someone who uses one

regomodo
August 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
i have a cheapo 1GB chinese mp4 player. uses ogg, flac, wma, and mp3. unfortunately for it to work well (playing order) the songs have to be uploaded in order

fleabay has them everywhere

crimesaucer
August 22nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
The iRiver iFP players do OGG too. Have a look on ebay and you may find a bargain.

Just DON'T get the iRiver T30

it plays ogg files, but it can't upload correctly on Linux (with ogg or mp3), even with UMS...maybe there is a script that can fix it, or a way to upload using a Command, but I found that with drag and drop it will upload all songs out of order and sometimes only partially...or a complete file of errors.

HermanAB
December 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Samsung players play pretty much anything, including Ogg.

sydbat
December 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Spam-threadcromancy is spam-threadcromantic!

bouncingwilf
December 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I'm sure I found a cheap one that supported ogg while I was rootling around in Tesco's the other day. You have to read the packaging carefully to find it though!

Bouncingwilf

bouncingwilf
December 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Try this one http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-5081.aspx no radio but ogg support

Bouncingwilf

mkendall
December 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Spam-threadcromancy is spam-threadcromantic!

I, for one, think that this kind of thread is always relevant regardless of the time between posts.

Changturkey
December 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Don't Sandisk players support .OGG now?

cprofitt
December 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Don't Sandisk players support .OGG now?

Yes, several of them do. I have the Fuze and it works very well. They also can play .flac

drascus
December 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
well any Android device will have ogg suport so that opens the field up a bit.

sydbat
December 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I, for one, think that this kind of thread is always relevant regardless of the time between posts.I posted that before the spam was removed. And I agree, to an extent. However, the original thread is from 2007 and a new one should have been started (actually lots have since then).

macogw
December 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I've had a Cowon iAudio 7 and a Cowon D2. The iAudio didn't break; it got stolen. Both quite nice.

Guitar John
December 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I have a Sansa Fuze 8 GB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansa_Fuze). Plays ogg, flac, MP3, wma.

Costs about $80 (USD).

Austin25
December 12th, 2010, 04:49 AM
My nds with moonshell supports it, but that's cheating isn't it. ;)

Dustin2128
December 12th, 2010, 05:36 AM
sansa fuze.