PDA

View Full Version : Laptop with Windows, reselling OEM license?

nocturn
June 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I'm looking for a good laptop for Ubuntu (any suggestions welcome).
Unfortunately, everything I find has at least WinXP home and sometimes pro with it.

Getting a refund here seems very unlikely, but I was wondering if I can resell the Windows OEM license? I live in Belgium (EU), reselling software (if you don't keep a copy) is legal here.

Any thoughts on this?

az
June 6th, 2005, 01:04 PM
If there is only one Microsoft Windows XP end-user-licence, that sort of thing is not allowed*.

nocturn
June 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM
If there is only one Microsoft Windows XP end-user-licence, that sort of thing is not allowed*.

I don't think the EULA is valid because someone installing Linux at first boot would either not see it, or refuse it (therefor be entitled to a refund).
If my legalese is correct, it would not be a binding contract without the consumer accepting it.

az
June 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Yes, but if it is written on the cd that this version of windows is meant to be used with the computer it was purchased with, there is nothing you can do.

On all of the OEM versions of WINXP CDs that I have seen, this is the case.

nocturn
June 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Yes, but if it is written on the cd that this version of windows is meant to be used with the computer it was purchased with, there is nothing you can do.

On all of the OEM versions of WINXP CDs that I have seen, this is the case.

That is true... but it is one sided (I didn't agree to it). Hmmm.
Maybe I'll try to contact the local legal aid, they offer free legal advice.

somuchfortheafter
June 6th, 2005, 03:35 PM
hmm whenever i was attempting to build my own laptop i found out that the "windows tax" wasnt that big of a deal, plus most laptop manufacturers sell xp to you with a proprietary disc which includes all of the software installed by default... so ehh go toshiba with nvidia graphics lol

nocturn
June 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Ok, I didn't get legal aid yet. But I did find out some things that are at least valid in Belgium.

1# As long as you do not accept the EULA, it does not mean anything (not legally a contract). It is even shady if click-throughs are valid (here).

2# Printing on the CD 'for use with this PC only' does not mean anything as it is also not a contract unless I sign something that says 'I agree'.

So legally, reselling the OEM license should be OK.
Practically it may present some problems (such as the forced registration process).

alastair lewis
June 9th, 2005, 10:08 PM
The more pressing problem would be finding a buyer. I like the idea however.

bmwboy
June 9th, 2005, 10:34 PM
one word : ebay

desdinova
June 9th, 2005, 10:44 PM
one word : ebay
Bear in mind some XP cd's supplied with the hardware are actually tied in that they won't install on other brands etc...

bmwboy
June 9th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Bear in mind some XP cd's supplied with the hardware are actually tied in that they won't install on other brands etc...
i hate that.. that happened to me on windows ME, heres what it said:

I r teh suxxorz and i wontt leteh u install; ******* moneytaking edition

nocturn
June 10th, 2005, 08:21 AM

That is not such a problem, even without advertising, there are many people that would like to make their pirated install legal, but not at 200 € (the price of a full version).

So, if I was sure I could sell it legally and it would run on the target machine, I could get rid of it for about 50 €.