PDA

View Full Version : What if Microsoft...

Krystoll Meth
March 30th, 2007, 04:08 AM
...threw out an offer to Ubuntu? What do you think it would be like? I seriously doubt the idea would happen (and seriously hope it wouldn't go through) but just a what if. Moreso these questions: What would it be like (teamwork OS, the MS/Novell team, etc), how would you feel, and how do you think it would impact future releases?

For the record, I love Linux and never want to go back. Even got my mom & a few friends using Ubuntu 6.10.

So, completely hypothetical list. May have been done once before, I dunno. Only been on here for a little while. Just a thought that popped in my mind, so don't flame me (although I seriously doubt you guys would from what I've seen of this community).

Sunnz
March 30th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Depends on what kind of offer and how Ubuntu uses the offer.

If ms were to donate XXX million no strings attached, why not? Maybe they did some awful thing with free laptops with bloggers which are supposed to be no string, but I don't think they do something like that for the big companies!!!

On the Ubuntu side, someone has suggested that the whole thing could be 'sold' to ms no strings attached. Just use that money and start a complete new org with the same code base, Ubuntu is GPL so it is completely legal!!!

FoolsGold
March 30th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Probably commit seppuku I suppose.

EdThaSlayer
March 30th, 2007, 04:50 AM
All I know is that Ubuntu would have a lot of new developers. :)

JAPrufrock
March 30th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Oil and water don't mix.

maxamillion
March 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I don't think an "offer" is such a good idea but collaboration efforts would be.

I think it would be beneficial in many ways if there was some sort of collaboration between platforms, even it was as small as saying "ok, lets agree on an open standard of some sort for <whatever>" and then each development team can go implement it, this way linux would be able to more easily co-exist with microsoft systems in the business world and i think migration is probably the easiest way to get big business to convert so in the event platforms are able to work along side one another with as little complications as possible the easier it is to market the switch.

my two cents ....

aysiu
March 30th, 2007, 07:00 AM
If ms were to donate XXX million no strings attached, why not? When it comes to Microsoft, there's no such thing as no strings attached. Look at Novell.

karellen
March 30th, 2007, 07:17 AM
ms is no charity foundation, it won't give 1$ if it can't get back 2

Krystoll Meth
March 30th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I don't think an "offer" is such a good idea but collaboration efforts would be.

I think it would be beneficial in many ways if there was some sort of collaboration between platforms, even it was as small as saying "ok, lets agree on an open standard of some sort for <whatever>" and then each development team can go implement it, this way linux would be able to more easily co-exist with microsoft systems in the business world and i think migration is probably the easiest way to get big business to convert so in the event platforms are able to work along side one another with as little complications as possible the easier it is to market the switch.

my two cents ....

Ok, simple example for further continuing this discussion, games. Morrowind series, WoW, etc. (Yes, can all be played via workarounds so to speak, but still...BTW, much credit to the linux community simply for finding these workarounds).

Also, I did say, this is all hypothetical of course & know that this won't happen. So far, the guy I quoted is the only at least semi-in-depth guy I've seen a post from on here. Anyways, please continue this discussion as it is starting to interest me!!

Krystoll Meth
March 30th, 2007, 08:08 AM
...threw out an offer to Ubuntu? What do you think it would be like? I seriously doubt the idea would happen (and seriously hope it wouldn't go through) but just a what if. Moreso these questions: What would it be like (teamwork OS, the MS/Novell team, etc), how would you feel, and how do you think it would impact future releases?

For the record, I love Linux and never want to go back. Even got my mom & a few friends using Ubuntu 6.10.

So, completely hypothetical list. May have been done once before, I dunno. Only been on here for a little while. Just a thought that popped in my mind, so don't flame me (although I seriously doubt you guys would from what I've seen of this community).

[EDIT]

BTW, did I mention I was 8 beers in when I posted the above message? Damn...1.5 beer/hour pace for you math lovers out there.

Sunnz
March 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM
When it comes to Microsoft, there's no such thing as no strings attached. Look at Novell.
You haven't heard of the no strings attached free Vista laptops? It were "no strings" attached at first then MS kind of "re-attach" the strings later on...

Sunnz
March 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM

my two cents ....

Ok, simple example for further continuing this discussion, games. Morrowind series, WoW, etc. (Yes, can all be played via workarounds so to speak, but still...BTW, much credit to the linux community simply for finding these workarounds).

Also, I did say, this is all hypothetical of course & know that this won't happen. So far, the guy I quoted is the only at least semi-in-depth guy I've seen a post from on here. Anyways, please continue this discussion as it is starting to interest me!!

Well I could vaguely recall the view of some MS developers, "why should we help our competitors to work with our products? it is good as long as people are using our products." something like that.