PDA

View Full Version : get symlink destination

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 03:06 AM
anyone have a good way (terminal of course), to get the destination of symlinks? thanks.

I'm trying to make a script to mv the destination files, but i've read that mv doesn't follow symlinks. So I was going to write the destinations to a file and then mv that way.

yabbadabbadont
March 30th, 2007, 03:22 AM
/home/daffy $ file /etc/localtime
/etc/localtime: symbolic link to `/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central'

It's ugly, but it should work.

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 03:24 AM
huh?

yabbadabbadont
March 30th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Run file on the item of interest and parse the text it prints out.

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 03:37 AM
i have no clue what you are talking about. I want a command that scans a symbolic links and gives the destination. I have no clue what localtime or /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central has to do with that.

yabbadabbadont
March 30th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Clearly, from the output I posted, /etc/localtime is a symbolic link that points to /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central. If that wasn't obvious, perhaps you might want to tackle an easier problem. ;)

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 03:40 AM
ohh I see now. i'll try it.

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 03:50 AM
that won't work because it includes the words "symbolic link to..". I need for it to be just the destination. i wonder if there's another command that can achieve this.

hod139
March 30th, 2007, 03:55 AM
How about
ls -l fooEdit: If you want just the destination you can use awk

ls -l foo | awk '{print $10}' This is not a very robust solution. Spaces in filenames will kill it for one, but maybe it's a good start.

yabbadabbadont
March 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM
that won't work because it includes the words "symbolic link to..". I need for it to be just the destination. i wonder if there's another command that can achieve this.

I told you that you would need to parse the output. :D

Read up on the sed, awk, and cut utilities. The proper combination of them, combined with the file command, should get you what you need.

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM
ok, I think that will do. thanks a lot (to both of you).

Mr. C.
March 30th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Don't forget to remove (and remake) the symlink.

test -L filename
test -h filename

will indicate if a file is a symlink.

MrC

gerald.schnabel
July 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I know this thread is a little bit older, but I found them in google as I searched for a solution to get the destination for a symlink.

And I found the nice command
readlink something that will return the destination and just the destination of a symlink.