PDA

View Full Version : MP3s hijacked by hip-hop: Is this even possible?

AstarothCY
March 30th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I record lectures using my PDA, it records straight to mp3. I gave my friend these lectures on a USB stick, and she put them on her computer. When she got round to listening to them, she said that all my recordings had music at the end. I listened to a specific lecture she told me and my copy was fine.

She sent me the recording, and amazingly, there actually is music starting in the middle of the mp3... full quality mp3 music, as if it was digitally inserted into the original recording. The weirdest thing is... I don't even have this music and neither does she! BTW the music on the one she sent me is De La Soul... Completely insane.

I have no clue what to even begin thinking, this is completely baffling. Assuming this isn't a joke of some sort, how could this have possibly happened?

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Y... Uh.

Maybe it's ghosts? In your computer? Tampering with your files during synchronization?

AstarothCY
March 30th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Ghost rappers? This is seriously scary. Maybe my house was built on an R&B cemetery?

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 02:09 AM
The first thing I recommend doing is getting a shovel and immediately digging under the house to find if there's a magical recording studio or something.

Then get a different USB stick and try the synching again, to see if there's the same problem. But before you do that, check the original USB stick and see if re-synching the mp3 file causes the same problem.

Albi
March 30th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Sounds like an obscure windows virus if it was only on her side

esaym
March 30th, 2007, 02:43 AM
heh, I am going to bookmark this thread and keep an eye on it.

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Sounds like an obscure windows virus if it was only on her side

Doubt it. Not everything is a Windows virus. Hardware problems (although, this would be quite an odd one O_o) as well as software bugs exist and could definitely cause problems.

dbbolton
March 30th, 2007, 02:51 AM
maybe the lecture got jammed against a song in the e-tubes

AstarothCY
March 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Those are plausible theories I suppose, but you're forgetting one important thing - neither of us actually have this music anywhere on our HDs or have ever even heard it before.

justin whitaker
March 30th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Well, sounds like the hip-hop ghosts have taste anyway....props to plug 1 and 2 baby!

:)

C-A
March 30th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I record lectures using my PDA, it records straight to mp3. I gave my friend these lectures on a USB stick, and she put them on her computer. When she got round to listening to them, she said that all my recordings had music at the end. I listened to a specific lecture she told me and my copy was fine.

She sent me the recording, and amazingly, there actually is music starting in the middle of the mp3... full quality mp3 music, as if it was digitally inserted into the original recording. The weirdest thing is... I don't even have this music and neither does she! BTW the music on the one she sent me is De La Soul... Completely insane.

I have no clue what to even begin thinking, this is completely baffling. Assuming this isn't a joke of some sort, how could this have possibly happened?

So your pda recording is fine and the usb stick has music by De La Soul mixed in?

Stores seem to take returns for about anything in any condition. Maybe you have a memory stick previously owned by a De La Soul fan. ?

rolando2424
March 30th, 2007, 04:29 AM
"The Truth is Out There." (tm) :D

But that sure is wierd...

DirtDawg
March 30th, 2007, 05:57 AM
http://a718.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/64/l_acbd372b6e4245f011f5285d978257fd.gif

Polygon
March 30th, 2007, 07:30 AM
well, if its on the usb memory stick the file might of existed there, but as "erased" (as in had the bit set to "its erased, anything can overwrite this spot") and then somehow the program bugged and put the mp3 file in the middle of your recording

or the same thing might of happened with your operating system, hard drive, or maybe the program itself has the music file somewhere in there...

AstarothCY
March 30th, 2007, 08:43 AM
is there an easy way to have a look "inside" the usb drive to see if i can find these phantom mp3s?

Dragonbite
March 30th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Are you sure your lecture is all in one MP3?

Just thinking that if the music, somehow, was already on the USB stick and the lecture is broken into multiple MP3 files then they could be shuffling on you?

This *is* an interesting one!

Eddie Wilson
March 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Doubt it. Not everything is a Windows virus. Hardware problems (although, this would be quite an odd one O_o) as well as software bugs exist and could definitely cause problems.
If you don't know what it is than you can't know what it isn't:)
Sounds crazy don't it?
Eddie

AstarothCY
March 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Are you sure your lecture is all in one MP3?

Just thinking that if the music, somehow, was already on the USB stick and the lecture is broken into multiple MP3 files then they could be shuffling on you?

This *is* an interesting one!

It is most definitely a single file. Would it help if I uploaded the mp3 for you? I could upload the original and the mutant one and maybe someone could compare them.

kostkon
March 31st, 2007, 03:37 AM
Following this interesting conversation here, I would like to ask you if you bought your USB stick as new or as a used one. The same applies to your friend: Did any component of her PC belonged to someone else before (especially I mean the hard drive)?

That would easily reinforce the theory that your mp3 files got mixed up with older files that existed in the past, and now been deleted, in your USB stick or your friend's hard drive.

Thanks

Stew2
March 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM
Hmmm... looks like a good old fashioneded exorcism is in order here :D. Sorry, not helping much but I couldn't resist!

Regards,
Stew2

Man_Beach
April 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Following this interesting conversation here, I would like to ask you if you bought your USB stick as new or as a used one. The same applies to your friend: Did any component of her PC belonged to someone else before (especially I mean the hard drive)?

That would easily reinforce the theory that your mp3 files got mixed up with older files that existed in the past, and now been deleted, in your USB stick or your friend's hard drive.

Thanks

My brand new, sealed MP3 player came with 2 tracks already on it -
del_clip_mala_nova_b.mp3 and MiddleEasternDanceTrack.mp3

I think it's most probable that your usb stick already had something on it when you bought it.