PDA

View Full Version : Edgy to Feisty Beta Upgrade - Worth it?

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I've known about the Kubuntu Feisty Beta release since it happened, but didn't really give it much of a second thought since I tend to stay away from OS betas due to previous bad experiences.

But my friend upgraded to Kubuntu Feisty Beta and told me that it was alright, and that there wasn't anything he found to make him wish he never upgraded. I got slightly interested, so I went and skimmed the update list.

It looks like all that's up in this beta is some media codecs and a Windows migration tool (which is useless to me, at least, since all my stuff is already migrated over). What else that is serious business has been upgraded that'll make me tip the weight down onto the "Install Updates" button of the Adept Updater?

Moreover, is there anything that should make me NOT install the Beta?

audax321
March 30th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I don't know about any of the other updates, BUT here are some reasons to not install the beta:

(1) what is working today is not guaranteed to work tomorrow
(2) the final release is scheduled for April 19th... that is only 3 weeks away

and a really good reason to install the beta

(1) to test the OS and submit bug reports to make it a better, more polished piece of software (although being this close to release i doubt much will change)

:)

picpak
March 30th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I've done it. The only showstopper bug I found was my CD burner not working anymore. I fixed that by using kernel 2.6.20-11. Other than that, it's more stable than Edgy.

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I've done it. The only showstopper bug I found was my CD burner not working anymore. I fixed that by using kernel 2.6.20-11. Other than that, it's more stable than Edgy.

Any information on if that's a guaranteed bug? Not that it's a big deal, as I'm sure it'll be fixed by release day, but still, I'll never know if suddenly a friend will want something from me and I won't be able to get it to them.

Gordy
March 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I don't know about any of the other updates, BUT here are some reasons to not install the beta:

(1) what is working today is not guaranteed to work tomorrow
(2) the final release is scheduled for April 19th... that is only 3 weeks away

and a really good reason to install the beta

(1) to test the OS and submit bug reports to make it a better, more polished piece of software (although being this close to release i doubt much will change)

:)

I was wondering if there will be updates available to those that are using it now. In other words will we have to download the released version to have a complete install or what?

macogw
March 30th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Wireless is setup by default, Compiz is installed, restricted driver manager for all your ati/nvidia/wireless needs

The cd burning bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrkit/+bug/76058

If you hop on the beta now, your computer will be identical on April 19 to someone who updates that day or does a fresh install that day (well except you'll have your stuff and settings, unlike with a fresh install)

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Gordy, I'm assuming the update tool that is used to upgrade to Feisty Beta will be used to upgrade to Feisty Final.

dbbolton
March 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM
no.

Gordy
March 31st, 2007, 01:36 AM
Gordy, I'm assuming the update tool that is used to upgrade to Feisty Beta will be used to upgrade to Feisty Final.

COOL! thanks for the info....................

Quillz
March 31st, 2007, 01:43 AM
I don't know about the others, but I've no issues whatsoever moving from 6.10 to 7.04.

K.Mandla
March 31st, 2007, 03:41 AM
For my own part, I think a fresh installation of Feisty would be far more impressive than an upgrade. So many things like Flash and proprietary drivers are handled with a single click that I think if you're just dist-upgrading, it might be a letdown. The beauty of Feisty might be that it's so much easier to set up from scratch.

Anyway, that was what impressed me.

Stew2
March 31st, 2007, 04:31 AM
Does anyone have a link to the beta download? Thanks

Regards,
Stew2

*Edit* Thanks anyway, I found it... just didn't look very hard I guess :D

karellen
March 31st, 2007, 05:55 AM
I don't know about the others, but I've no issues whatsoever moving from 6.10 to 7.04.
same goes for me, edgy never crashed or something like this. I'll upgrade to feisty sometime in the future, certainly after April

user1397
March 31st, 2007, 08:28 AM
being as insane as I am, I installed feisty on a desktop while it was in herd 4...

and updating all the way from then, it's never crashed on me.

Obor
March 31st, 2007, 09:12 AM
I upgraded about a week ago. First on my test machine and when that went ok on my main PC as well. I didn't have any problems and so far everything works fine.

As it was mentioned before, some of the new features are only useful on a new install so with an upgrade you won't see a big difference from edgy. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you upgrade now you will be downloading a fair amount of updates every day as the bugs get fixed.

DJiNN
March 31st, 2007, 11:58 AM
I did a fresh install of the beta on my laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo) and of all the distros that i have tried lately, it's the only one where everything worked right off the bat, even the Intel WiFi got picked up..... Fantastic!! :) There were a few hiccups with the nVidia drivers, but a quick search on the forums sorted that one out, and now i'm using Feisty as my Major OS on the Laptop..... Kool! :)

Also, i upgraded my old P4 desktop machine which was running Edgy, more to see how it would go than anything else. I fully expected it to break or fall over, and was indeed VERY surprised when it not only upgraded really well, but also fixed several issues that i had previously had in Edgy, and now LOOKS better & runs faster than it did using either Edgy, Breezy or Hoary!

I was getting a bit disenchanted with 6.10 over various problems that i was having. Nothing Major, just niggly stuff, but nonetheless frustrating. Feisty has really swung the ball back into the Ubuntu court. I am just soooo impressed with both the upgrade & the Fresh install.

What can i say.... it may still be in Beta, but it's the best release yet (IMHO).
As always, your mileage may vary. :)

lotusleaf
March 31st, 2007, 03:26 PM
I did a fresh install of Feisty beta and I'm loving it. I've ran into a few things along the way but that's to be expected in any beta.

My general suggestion: wait for the final release unless you know what beta testing is about.

sgtkwol
March 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Automatic support for my tv capture card (hauppauge 150 mce) made me wanna upgrade again. I did an unnecessary reformat after upgrading to feisty once, but I got some experience out of it at least.