PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a desktop

tiscareno1234
March 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I have come to the point in my life where I want to upgrade my desktop. I was wondering, can anyone help me make a good decision. I'm trying to decide between getting a mac mini, or a acer aspire L100. Either way I'm going to install ubuntu, I just want some input on which one I should get. Should I go with the Mac or with the PC?

PurplePenguin
March 30th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I'd go Mac over PC anyday. Although I'm using a PC with Ubuntu to write this... :)

jeffc313
March 30th, 2007, 01:44 AM
BOOOO! do not get a mac. no upgradability, build your own.
if you must buy, get teh aspire.

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Go for Vista. It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Also, Macs aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be.

jeffc313
March 30th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Go for Vista. It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Also, Macs aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be.

vista may _work_ well, but it is a whole load of WGA all over again but worse. DRM is bad any way you slice it.

Nils Olav
March 30th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Go for Vista. It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be...

:---) <-- you

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 01:59 AM
vista may _work_ well, but it is a whole load of WGA all over again but worse. DRM is bad any way you slice it.

It really depends on how the topic starter wants to use his desktop. If he plays games, Vista's definitely the way to go. If he enjoys editing movies, Mac is pro. Customization? Linux, of course.

Compucore
March 30th, 2007, 02:38 AM
If you wish you buy a brand new system. Coming from personal experience over the years. I would rather buy the parts and assemble together. Since you can choose what you want in there. And ig you want to go either with Ubuntu or with windows. You still have either option to do so. Or go with Sun Solaris 10, Sco Unix as alternate free OS's. Or Sky OS for that matter which last I checked it was free at one point but now you have to buy it and download it.

My personal preferece is that you can compare which parts will work on a variety of OS's. Where as you stick with one kind only. It may only work with just one OS and may be very difficult on another. Turst me I have been arguing with some IBM's all day just tring to find the drivers for soe of the video cards. And man what they tell you in one at the web site they don't show until you peel the cover open or double check with a working machine to find out the drivers you need.

Compucore

zorkerz
March 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I feel some people are not reading our original post. tiscareno1234 does not plan on using another os just asking about hardware i believe. I would say get pc hardware. Macs are great in my mind but it is pointless in my mind to pay all that extra money for the macs and then just ditch the os. As for what pc i would find a few i like and then check around to make sure people have success stories installing ubuntu on them. Theres my 2 cents.

Compucore
March 30th, 2007, 03:01 AM
It is a mater of preference as to what kind of computer you want to use. I knew what he wanted. It can go either way. I have had more success with clone computer than with a off the shelf brand over here. Why not go with a Sun microsystems or a Silicon graphics machine. Those are pretty much a lot higher than a Mac in comparison when you look at the prices. And I still do have two older macs here that were given to me to putter around with. :D

Compucore

I feel some people are not reading our original post. tiscareno1234 does not plan on using another os just asking about hardware i believe. I would say get pc hardware. Macs are great in my mind but it is pointless in my mind to pay all that extra money for the macs and then just ditch the os. As for what pc i would find a few i like and then check around to make sure people have success stories installing ubuntu on them. Theres my 2 cents.

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Oh my. You're correct, I misread the first post.

Yes, choosing PC hardware would be more efficient as Macintosh hardware is very difficult, if not impossible to update.

qpieus
March 30th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't buy the mac, especially if you're ditching the OS anyway. You pay a premium price for the mac hardware - totally unnecessary.

dbbolton
March 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I have come to the point in my life where I want to upgrade my desktop. I was wondering, can anyone help me make a good decision. I'm trying to decide between getting a mac mini, or a acer aspire L100. Either way I'm going to install ubuntu, I just want some input on which one I should get. Should I go with the Mac or with the PC?
have you given system76 any consideration ?

tiscareno1234
March 31st, 2007, 06:55 AM
I looked at system76, and well, I actually need to have either windows or mac, for the rest of my family, as this will be a desktop. I'm leaning towards the mac mini, but the acer aspire comes with a 19 inch widescreen monitor for $200 less than the mac mini. I was just wondering if it was worth it going with a mac mini or the aspire. Thank you to everyone for they're input, I'll update to let everyone know what I choose.

InuyashaDuelist
March 31st, 2007, 07:04 AM
If you're going to keep the operating system, go with the Aspire.