PDA

View Full Version : No Thread Left Behind

troymcdavis
March 30th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I have a confession to make. I've been slacking off.

When I got here, all I did was hang out in the cafe, not really contributing much at all. It wasn't long before I changed that.

It was two months ago that I decided to begin a vigorous "no thread left behind" program. I pledged to answer one unanswered plea for help in this forum everyday. I missed days, for sure, but that didn't bother me. It's just now that I've realized how badly (and how long ago) I fell off the wagon.

I wanted to write something up, but I'm not one for melodrama, so I operated quietly on my own. But I saw daynah's sig, and, sadly enough, my own with its quote from WalmartSniper, and realized I needed to reinvigorate my mission. This is all about community, right? Why not call on the community?

I realized today I have nothing to lose by appealing to the community, and so much to gain. We can encourage and challenge one another. Together we can achieve far more than anyone can alone. Best of all, an experience like this can bring us a little bit closer together.

Here, standing at the turn of the month, with the release of Fiesty on the horizon, I want to pledge to answer at least five unanswered request threads every week for the month of April. Over 31 days, that's about 20-21 threads. I feel up to the challenge.

So, for the benefit of the community, I encourage everyone to pledge what support they can give for the month of April. It's easy to find questions that just require a little googling, or you can ask some follow up questions; at the very least you can bump a thread up. Think about goals you can meet: one thread a day, one a week, etc.

For me, I plan to make April a commitment to "leaving no thread behind."

BuffaloX
March 30th, 2007, 12:37 AM
That's a cool idea.
Maybe I'll set some similar goal for myself.

One thing I have noticed in the forum, Is that the same question is often asked many many many times,
even when the answer already exist in a previous thread.

So I thought it could be cool, when I see these, to refer them to the thread containing the answer.
This should of course only be done, if it is known for a fact that the answer is good.
And then add a VERY polite request, that people search for answers, before posting questions already posted many times.

dbbolton
March 30th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Group Memberships
Unanswered Posts Team:

A team for handling unanswered posts.

Durito
March 30th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I'm in.

troymcdavis
March 30th, 2007, 01:51 AM
So I thought it could be cool, when I see these, to refer them to the thread containing the answer.
This should of course only be done, if it is known for a fact that the answer is good.
And then add a VERY polite request, that people search for answers, before posting questions already posted many times.

One thought I've entertained is explaining to the OP how I got the answer. I usually never do for one main reason: I don't want to come off as condescending. I don't want someone to feel stupid when I go "then I typed the four words in the title in your post, clicked the first result, and there was the answer". But at the same time, I do want to teach them something. I think I will attempt to overcome that this month.

Group Memberships
Unanswered Posts Team:

A team for handling unanswered posts.

Looks like I was right to involve you guys! Thanks for the tip! But what is the Unanswered Posts Team? Is there some sort of commitment for joining? It looks like you have to be approved to join... is there some sort of process to go through?

%hMa@?b<C
March 30th, 2007, 01:53 AM
*joins*

dbbolton
March 30th, 2007, 01:55 AM
One thought I've entertained is explaining to the OP how I got the answer. I usually never do for one main reason: I don't want to come off as condescending. I don't want someone to feel stupid when I go "then I typed the four words in the title in your post, clicked the first result, and there was the answer". But at the same time, I do want to teach them something. I think I will attempt to overcome that this month.

Looks like I was right to involve you guys! Thanks for the tip! But what is the Unanswered Posts Team? Is there some sort of commitment for joining? It looks like you have to be approved to join... is there some sort of process to go through?
i applied a few months ago and just got approved. i'm also on the beginner team, but for some reason it doesn't show up.

here is the UPT section of the forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=216

Palypup
March 31st, 2007, 02:22 AM
As an older beginner in all areas, I have stayed away from help sources for windows because of immature aggression and hostility. Ubuntu is presented as a true suporive community. At first I thought "Yea, right". But after watching the Experience ubuntu.oggNelson Mandella's explaination of ubuntu that comes w/ the default install in Examples in the new home folder, I felt almost inspired.
I come to these forums looking for help, often with an incomplete understanding of how things work (both the OS and the forums) and am aware of my shortcomings and have often profited from questions and answers here.
Every post comes from a real person, both questions and answers and it is up to each of us how we deal with each other one on one.
I personally don't mind the response that tells me to type this here then click that
and make sure to this or else if you don't this could happer because of...
I'm glad for the response and am confident of your sincerity. Those who throw rocks at me in a response I suspect of sabotage and back away.
Younger users often have an assumption of anonymity and skill levels which may not be completely accurate.
There are a lot of first time linux users coming on because of Ubuntu, Linspire, Freespire, Gentoo etc. and a lot more will be a flood when OLPC really kicks in not to mention the current cost of transition from XP to Vista. So, when that happens, I will be the "One eyed man in the kingdom of the blind." Keep in mind that there are thousands who come here seeking answers and never post
because they got what they got what they wanted. So, though it is one on one, there is a huge audience watching.
The more you guys can bring along guys like me with a dose of patience and forgiveness, the smaller the load on all of you when guys like me are up to speed.
Thanks and keep pluggin" away because it's fun and you like to do it.

K.Mandla
March 31st, 2007, 03:46 AM
For me, I plan to make April a commitment to "leaving no thread behind."
There was a while when I was doing this "one-a-day" thing where I tried to find one unanswered thread I could reply to, every day.

I should start doing that again. :-k

slayerboy
March 31st, 2007, 04:00 AM
I'll join in this...I'll try...can't guarantee that it will happen, but I'll try

cowlip
March 31st, 2007, 05:03 AM

dbbolton
March 31st, 2007, 05:22 AM
I love posting the Absolute Beginner Help forum. It's somewhat addicting. Like that game of 'whack-a-mole' where you try to hit them with a hammer ASAP, I hate seeing posts with no replies in there ;)
here's my impression of 90% of the posts in the beginner forum:

hey im a n00b but i just installed beryl on feisty and it doesnt work!!!! what do i do ?!?!?!?!