PDA

View Full Version : Games!

vega44
June 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM
how well does wine play games like doom3 or half life 2??

invalid
June 6th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Why would you use wine to play doom3 when you can play it directly on linux?
If you have (legally) the doom3 cd's + cdcode, do a google search for how to install it on linux - runs just like windows.

vega44
June 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Why would you use wine to play doom3 when you can play it directly on linux?
If you have (legally) the doom3 cd's + cdcode, do a google search for how to install it on linux - runs just like windows.
i have doom 3 cds but im talking about games that don't support linux? how would you intall them?

tread
June 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Check out the gaming section of the forum .. you should find a lot of information there.

vega44
June 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Check out the gaming section of the forum .. you should find a lot of information there.
where is that?

tread
June 6th, 2005, 08:17 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Ironi
June 6th, 2005, 08:41 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53
What about the people who use Breezy? ;)

Seriously, though, shouldn't there be a unified gaming forum instead of separate ones for warty, hoary, etc?

rjstevens3
June 6th, 2005, 08:46 AM
if you are serious about games you'll need cedega to play them. check out www.transgaming.com and http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu

so far i have WOW, GTA:VC and KOTORII working in ubuntu on amd64. they play great with no discernable slowdown. i haven't done any benchmarks, but i'm always surprised at how smooth and fast they play in linux.

Domhnull
June 6th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I play World of WarCraft using the transgaming software. It worked fine setting it up. I just read the instructions and took it a step at a time. It's also helpful to read the transgaming forums so that you're aware of any potential problems before you run into them.

On my system WoW runs great, better than under Win XP. My latency is half what it was under Win XP.

jdodson
June 6th, 2005, 08:43 PM
doom3 can be run natively in ubuntu.

there are also a TON of other games that are native in ubuntu as well. some are proprietary some are not, check out a decent list of games here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5153

i run war3 and halflife2 with no problem in ubuntu via cedega. i natively run ut-goty, ut2004, quake3, nexuiz and neverwinter nights with no problems at all. well, neverwinter nights sound at times (and i mean occasionally) sounds like a alien transmission, though i think it might be my cheap onboard sound.

i had americas army installed, but i got bored of it quickly.

you can run games in ubuntu.

jdodson
June 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM
What about the people who use Breezy? ;)

Seriously, though, shouldn't there be a unified gaming forum instead of separate ones for warty, hoary, etc?

because of different versions of software the distros have, we think it warrants a different section. i dont go into the warty forum at all anymore, it seems most people have moved to hoary. big differences in xfree vs. xorg and the nvidia/ati driver changes, etc. a bigger difference in nvidia drivers in the next version of ubuntu as they now include coolbits overclocking support(please be careful).

however, i play all the same games in hoary i could play in warty, they are just a bit nicer to play with better driver support and a faster kernel.

pdk001
June 6th, 2005, 09:42 PM
how about poker game?
i play at www.pokerroom.com. this is work fine in linux

skoal
June 6th, 2005, 09:54 PM
how about poker game?
i play at www.pokerroom.com. this is work fine in linux

muahaha...

sweet. I've been playing there for several months now. It's the only online poker room which uses java (that I know of), so all Linux users can lose their shirt there as well. I had 90k at one time in the bank and blew it all in a big bid match while bluffing on a 2-5 off-suit.

Pdk001, I'll look for you in the poker rooms. Let's see if we can't bankrupt some Window users.

muahahaha...

\\//_