PDA

View Full Version : In Honor of D Day 6 June 1944

allforcarrie
June 6th, 2005, 07:12 AM
You will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41.

The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeat in open battle man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground.

Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.

The tide has turned.

The free men of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle.

We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Dwight Eisenhower
June 6th, 1944

mtron
June 6th, 2005, 10:11 AM
There must be a mistake in this Quote

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeat in open battle man to man...

The funding charta of the United Nations was singned by 51 states on the 26th of June 1945 in San Francisco. On Oct. 24, that charter went into effect.

(Wrote a paper for university about that)

allforcarrie
June 6th, 2005, 10:14 AM

The funding charta of the United Nations was singned by 51 states on the 26th of June 1945 in San Francisco. On Oct. 24, that charter went into effect.

http://www.quotedb.com/speeches/eisenhower-d-day-order

http://www.ku.edu/heritage/abilene/graphics/ikesmessage.jpg

Knome_fan
June 6th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I think United Nations in this context refered to the allies against Germany.

mtron
June 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Wow, where did you get this from, nice.

Anyway, i don't understand this with the UN. do you?

allforcarrie
June 6th, 2005, 01:49 PM
He means Nations fighting together that is how they came up with the U.N.

How many Allied troops were involved in D-Day?

On D-Day, the Allies landed around 156,000 troops in Normandy. The American forces landed numbered 73,000: 23,250 on Utah Beach, 34,250 on Omaha Beach, and 15,500 airborne troops. In the British and Canadian sector, 83,115 troops were landed (61,715 of them British): 24,970 on Gold Beach, 21,400 on Juno Beach, 28,845 on Sword Beach, and 7900 airborne troops.

11,590 aircraft were available to support the landings. On D-Day, Allied aircraft flew 14,674 sorties, and 127 were lost.

In the airborne landings on both flanks of the beaches, 2395 aircraft and 867 gliders of the RAF and USAAF were used on D-Day.

Operation Neptune involved huge naval forces, including 6939 vessels: 1213 naval combat ships, 4126 landing ships and landing craft, 736 ancillary craft and 864 merchant vessels. Some 195,700 personnel were assigned to Operation Neptune: 52,889 US, 112,824 British, and 4988 from other Allied countries.

By the end of 11 June (D + 5), 326,547 troops, 54,186 vehicles and 104,428 tons of supplies had been landed on the beaches.

As well as the troops who landed in Normandy on D-Day, and those in supporting roles at sea and in the air, millions more men and women in the Allied countries were involved in the preparations for D-Day. They played thousands of different roles, both in the armed forces and as civilians.

Lovechild
June 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I have a hard time celebrating one act of human cruelity to end another - can't we celebrate Gandhi instead?

allforcarrie
June 6th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I have a hard time celebrating one act of human cruelity to end another - can't we celebrate Gandhi instead?

You have a hard time celibrating liberating France from Nazi rule? :-x

Knome_fan
June 6th, 2005, 01:58 PM

That's not what he said, so please let's keep this civilized.
Anyway, liberating France (and Europe as a whole) from the Nazis sure is something to celebrate, or to be more precise, to commemorate and honour.

allforcarrie
June 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
and that is what this thread is about.

Lovechild
June 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Not at all, but the real question is what could have been done to avoid all the cruelty that lead up to this and the prior actions (by both sides). Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it and all.

So why aren't we celebrating the actions and life of Gandhi (and other nonviolent revolutionaries), why do we always celebrate war actions? (even if the intent of said action was good)

skoal
June 6th, 2005, 03:40 PM
QUESTION:

So why aren't we celebrating the actions and life of Gandhi (and other nonviolent revolutionaries), why do we always celebrate war actions? (even if the intent of said action was good)

Hmmm...

ANSWER:

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it and all.

allforcarrie
June 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Please stop jacking my thread.

I Am honoring those men who faught and died so Europe Asia and Africa can be free.

jeremy
June 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM
My mother, who sadly died last year, was doing her National Service as a Wren (Women's Royal Naval Service) at the docks in Portsmouth handling the communications with the D-day fleets. She told me several times about how many left, and how few came back. While she felt that the Nazis had to be conquered, she told me how, having witnessed that great victory, that terrible event, she felt she had no choice than to become a pacifist.

I think we must remember the event (celebrate sounds too happy for something that involved so much death and suffering, on both sides), and wherever possible, use it to remind us of the absolute horror of war so that, possibly one day, we can live without fear of it.

skoal
June 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM
As someone who's served in the US Army, I can appreciate this thread. I've been to Arlington National Cemetary, touched the cold black granite of the Memorial Walls, and even run my fingers across fallen GI names in newspaper print. It's quite moving, and quite inspirational. One day I would like to visit Colleville-sur Mer, France, and walk the rows of tombstones there too. We are blessed in remembrance of such days in honor of men who passed on it. Blessed with vigilence, hope, and wisdom even amongst such sorrow. We honor such days and the men who marked them, so that others may continue asking why we do.

\\//_

bk452
June 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
My dad was in the second wave that hit Omaha Beach. Thank you for remembering.

allforcarrie
June 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I am in the Air Force.

KiwiNZ
June 8th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Its not about the right and wrong of War. Its about remembering and honouring those that made the ultimate sacrifice.
We will remember them , we will remember them.

Takis
June 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it and all.

why do we always celebrate war actions?
I don't know if I could call it celebrate. Maybe commemorate.

But, as part of an answer as to why these events are remembered, this (http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=409735) might be a reason. To make matters worse, I was discussing this (a while back) with some of my friends and was shocked when one of them said "I don't get it - why are they making such a fuss?".

:-#

We all did history and whatnot during high school, but when I asked my friends there, only three out of the five of us had even heard of Auschwitz - and one because he'd heard about it that morning on the TV report on Prince Harry.
Three out of five selected university-level students didn't know enough about WW2. There are reasons these things are commemorated.

allforcarrie
June 8th, 2005, 12:18 PM
that is truely sad.

WWII was one of the main reasons i joined the military.