PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

Pages : [1] 2 3

ronniet
March 29th, 2007, 03:37 AM
ok, since the post here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=384743) seems to be dying a death, I thought i'd pick up the gauntlet and offer to do a free emag...

I was thinking about starting up a free emag on the 'buntu family of distro's a while back. I have some spare server space and don't mind spending some pennies on a .org name.

Are there enough people willing to write though?
How about a show of hands?

I've done magazine/brochure stuff in the past using Windows and Adobe InDesign but since i'm now Windows free it'd probably be done in OpenOffice and exported as a PDF (don't really have the time to learn Scribe, and last time i used it it was really buggy). I'd be more than willing to do the web site and the layout of the mag, and help write stuff... lyceum has volunteered so far for Gimp/Blender articles. :)

I was thinking (like someone suggested in another art related thread) that it'd be mostly comprised of How-To's, with plenty of screenshots, it'd have some news but most people read the forums for news and by the time the mag came out the news would be old. Take info from some of the mailing list stuff and put that in there too (since most people probably don't subscribe to the mailing lists) which would almost serve as a Q&A section. Try and get interviews with people in the 'buntu scene; programmers, artists and so on...

I'm quite sure if we bashed heads we could get a nice list of contents to fill each month...

First thing i'd say is a name, with that I could get a quick website up, and most ideas/discussions for it could move to its custom site, save clogging this place up with magazine stuff... hm?

Waddya say people?... you up for it? :KS

If you want to help with the emag, please see the website for details (http://www.fullcirclemagazine.org)

linuxgeekery
March 29th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I'm definitely in. I *really* suck at writing :KS, but I'll try to contribute something. I might be able to help with the technical side - distribution, website, hosting, etc.

jenhsun
March 29th, 2007, 04:12 AM
ok, since the post here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=384743) seems to be dying a death, I thought i'd pick up the gauntlet and offer to do a free emag...

I was thinking about starting up a free emag on the 'buntu family of distro's a while back. I have some spare server space and don't mind spending some pennies on a .org name.

I've done magazine/brochure stuff in the past using Windows and Adobe InDesign but since i'm now Windows free it'd probably be done in OpenOffice and exported as a PDF (don't really have the time to learn Scribe, and last time i used it it was really buggy). I'd be more than willing to do the web site and the layout of the mag, and help write stuff... lyceum has volunteered so far for Gimp/Blender articles. :)

I was thinking (like someone suggested in another art related thread) that it'd be mostly comprised of How-To's, with plenty of screenshots, it'd have some news but most people read the forums for news and by the time the mag came out the news would be old. Take info from some of the mailing list stuff and put that in there too (since most people probably don't subscribe to the mailing lists) which would almost serve as a Q&A section. Try and get interviews with people in the 'buntu scene; programmers, artists and so on...

I'm quite sure if we bashed heads we could get a nice list of contents to fill each month...

First thing i'd say is a name, with that I could get a quick website up, and most ideas/discussions for it could move to its custom site, save clogging this place up with magazine stuff... hm?

Great, ronniet. A new thread for a cool idea.
Keep going....:)

linuxgeekery
March 29th, 2007, 04:19 AM
On the subject of names:

ubuntu magazine (obviously)
cup of ubuntu
everything brown (:lolflag: just kidding)

sorry, not in much of a creative mindset tonight

EDIT: as for things in the magazine, what about a "round-up" of good, useful, and informative posts/threads from the forums?

Adamant1988
March 29th, 2007, 04:21 AM
You may wish to consider talking to the marketing team (of which I am a member) about this, as they do something a little similar in the form of the Ubuntu Weekly News. I'm sure if some extra effort were applied that could be altered to do both (or at least allow for both).

Ubuntu-Marketing mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-marketing)
Ubuntu Marketing Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-marketing)

deepwave
March 29th, 2007, 04:46 AM

I'd do it... except I would do it for pay. Which kinda goes against the freeness of the emag. Beside isn't the Fridge doing a good job of being the Ubuntu emagazine?

Mateo
March 29th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I would do it in latex instead of in open office, since it looks more professional.

ronniet
March 29th, 2007, 02:09 PM
If Latex is quite similar to InDesign then I could use that, yeah.

I quite like the name 'Full Circle' since it kinda describes the Ubuntu logo too. What do you folks think?... since i'm sure we won't really be allowed to plaster the 'buntu logos everywhere (logo is TM'd) Any other name ideas??...

Ok, so the name idea is on the go...

Next idea to start up; contents. What would you folks like to read in a 'buntu mag?
So far;
How-to's (lots of :D )
Letters/eMails
Q&A (incl. mailing list & readers questions)

feel free to add your ideas...

linuxgeekery
March 29th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah... I kind of like the "full circle" idea :)

Anyways, LaTeX is sort of like InDesign for academia, rather than marketing :P From what I know, it doesn't do as much of the fancy graphics, it focuses on content.

From Wikipedia:

LaTeX is based on the idea that authors should be able to focus on the meaning of what they are writing, without being distracted by the visual presentation of the information. In preparing a LaTeX document, the author specifies the logical structure using familiar concepts such as chapter, section, table, figure, etc., and lets the LaTeX system worry about the presentation of these structures. It therefore encourages the separation of layout from content, while still allowing manual typesetting adjustments where needed. This is similar to the mechanism by which many word processors allow styles to be defined globally for an entire document, or the CSS mechanism used by HTML.

LaTeX can be arbitrarily extended by using the underlying macro language to develop custom formats. Such macros are often collected into packages which are available to address special formatting issues such as complicated mathematical content or graphics. In addition, there are numerous commercial implementations of the entire TeX system, including LaTeX, to which vendors may add extra features like additional typefaces and telephone support. LyX is a free visual document processor that uses LaTeX for a back-end. TeXmacs is a free, WYSIWYG editor with similar functionalities as LaTeX, but a different typesetting engine.

A number of popular commercial desktop publishing systems use modified versions of the original TeX typesetting engine. The recent rise in popularity of XML systems and the demand for large-scale batch production of publication-quality typesetting from these systems and other sources has seen a steady increase in the use of LaTeX.

The example below shows the LaTeX input:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\title{\LaTeX}
\date{}
\begin{document}
\maketitle \LaTeX{} is a document preparation system for the \TeX{}
typesetting program. It offers programmable desktop publishing
features and extensive facilities for automating most aspects of
typesetting and desktop publishing, including numbering and
cross-referencing, tables and figures, page layout, bibliographies,
and much more. \LaTeX{} was originally written in 1984 by Leslie
Lamport and has become the dominant method for using \TeX; few
people write in plain \TeX{} anymore. The current version is
\LaTeXe.
\newline
% This is a comment, it is not shown in the final output.
% The following shows a little of the typesetting power of LaTeX
\begin{eqnarray}
E &=& mc^2 \\
m &=& \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}
\end{eqnarray}
\end{document}

That would come out as this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/17/LaTeX_Output.svg/399px-LaTeX_Output.svg.png

P.S. - Will this only be distributed by website, or will it be emailed out weekly/monthly/quarterly, etc. ?

ronniet
March 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah... I kind of like the "full circle" idea :)

Anyways, LaTeX is sort of like InDesign for academia, rather than marketing :P From what I know, it doesn't do as much of the fancy graphics, it focuses on content.

P.S. - Will this only be distributed by website, or will it be emailed out weekly/monthly/quarterly, etc. ?

Yeah I looked up Latex... in a few words ; screw that. :D

I managed to print out some documentation on Scribus so i'll give that a read over and hopefully I can pick that up. I wasn't a total whizz with InDesign but know enough to produce good layouts.

I'd like it to be monthly and be available as a download from a website. Maybe some sort of mailing/subscribers list to let people know an issue is out?

I'm liking 'FullCircle'... the orange and blue suggesting the colours used in the 'buntu flavours. Any other name suggestions ?

I'll try and knock up a prototype logo/cover over the weekend for people to see and talk about... i want the communities input on it...

ajeffreys
March 29th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I think that it would be a good idea to have a section for new users, which covers some of the basics of Ubuntu etc.

BuffaloX
March 30th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Yeah I looked up Latex... in a few words ; screw that. :D

I managed to print out some documentation on Scribus so i'll give that a read over and hopefully I can pick that up. I wasn't a total whizz with InDesign but know enough to produce good layouts.

I was going to suggest Scribus, I think it's quite nice.
But you are already on it I see.

I liked the old Pagemaker and I also liked Indesign.
But Adobe is trying to tie in too much with only other Adobe products.
Kind of like Microsoft, and I don't like that one bit, so I try not to use Adobe products anymore.

If you don't know it already, you might want to try Inkscape for illustrations or Xara Xtreme.

I really like the idea of an Ubuntu magazine, I just read the one for PC-Linux, the idea is really nice, good info in a nice format. Nice for a pleasent relaxing read and to stay informed.

Maybe I'll even write an article for it, could be fun.

ronniet
March 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I was going to suggest Scribus, I think it's quite nice.
But you are already on it I see.

Maybe I'll even write an article for it, could be fun.

Having read through the Scribus documentation I think i'll give it a shot. It'll take me a little while to get used to where the options are but most of the things I used in InDesign are in Scribus (somewhere).

BuffaloX : Yes, please do write an article or ten :D

Everyone seems to want a 'buntu magazine but very few so far are actually willing to write... :( Even beginners can write SOMEthing! Even just an article on how you found Linux, what made you dump Windows that kinda thing... it's always interesting to read how someone moved from The Dark Side... :KS

el mariachi
March 30th, 2007, 02:26 PM
What a great ideia!!

Although my english isn't perfect i can give it a shot (or two). I'm a Linux noob so, the only things i can write about are my wrong stereotypes prior to actually using ubuntu/linux and why i left windows and some more "propaganda-type-article" lol will this kind of thing be of your interest?

Again, great initiative! keep it up!

ronniet
March 30th, 2007, 06:49 PM
What a great ideia!!

Although my english isn't perfect i can give it a shot (or two). I'm a Linux noob so, the only things i can write about are my wrong stereotypes prior to actually using ubuntu/linux and why i left windows and some more "propaganda-type-article" lol will this kind of thing be of your interest?

Again, great initiative! keep it up!

Absolutely!

If anyone is not a native speaker then let me know when you submit your article and i'll proof read it for you, and i'll let you know of any corrections needed before adding it. Could even be useful for people who are trying to improve their English skills! (although i'm no English teacher :D )

Another magazine feature could be 'My Desktop' where people send in screens of their desktop and explain how they got that desktop; what fonts, images, widgets or whatever did you need to install to get such an impressive desktop...?

I'll try and get a logo or something made up over the weekend for people give a yay or nay.

Once I get a logo made up, i'll try and get a few pages made up in Scribus and hopefully a PDF file for people to download, look over and yay/nay the layout...

Come on people... hands up, who else wants to help out??

el mariachi
March 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks ronniet. Although not an English teacher one can always learn from a native speaker! ;)

I'm eager to see that logo and, of course, the layout! Are you thinking about making it printable or just for online viewing? I could use it to "linuxize" some of my windows-fan friends hehe

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I'd be willing to write at least 1 article. It's an article on elinks that I wrote for my blog. I will, of course, expand it to be longer and such.

ronniet
March 30th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks ronniet. Although not an English teacher one can always learn from a native speaker! ;)

I'm eager to see that logo and, of course, the layout! Are you thinking about making it printable or just for online viewing? I could use it to "linuxize" some of my windows-fan friends hehe

It'd be a PDF file that you can download and read offline, or print out to read later if you wish :)

ronniet
March 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I'd be willing to write at least 1 article. It's an article on elinks that I wrote for my blog. I will, of course, expand it to be longer and such.

Only one article? :( Why only one...??

Surely you could squeeze out another few... hmmmm???

Oh go on... :KS

Mateo
March 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well I say one because it's already written, although I would expand it quite a bit. I just say that because I don't want to commit to doing it monthly. That doesn't mean I won't, it just means I don't want the commitment.

ronniet
March 30th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Well I say one because it's already written, although I would expand it quite a bit. I just say that because I don't want to commit to doing it monthly. That doesn't mean I won't, it just means I don't want the commitment.

Thats ok, i'm just joking with you... :D
Every article counts. If its a big article then I could cut it into two or more issues...

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 12:57 AM
I did a quick cover mockup. I'm not an expert in layout/graphics by any definition, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'd like it to be monthly and be available as a download from a website. Maybe some sort of mailing/subscribers list to let people know an issue is out?

I'll try to whip up a quick script we could use for email distribution.

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 01:32 AM
I did a quick cover mockup. I'm not an expert in layout/graphics by any definition, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll try to whip up a quick script we could use for email distribution.

Thanks man :KS , all help is greatly appreciated... i've still to look into a site builder (Joomla, Drupal etc) but I did make a start on a logo idea for the mag... all comments welcome...

Acglaphotis
March 31st, 2007, 02:16 AM
Hi, about the logo i think shouldn't be so blurred, and the "Circle" shouldn't be upside-down, but mirrored, like Full, but distorted downwards, i don't know if you understand me.

i think this is a great idea :biggrin:, i would like to help, but when my english gets better, as of right now, i can barely write coherent sutff. :(

-Acgla

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 02:27 AM
Thanks man :KS , all help is greatly appreciated... i've still to look into a site builder (Joomla, Drupal etc) but I did make a start on a logo idea for the mag... all comments welcome...

As for the mailer - here ya go! (http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/) I didn't even have to code it myself :) It's an LGPL'd PHP mass-mailer. You include functions from it into a PHP script of your own creation. Seems like it should work well.

One nice feature is that it can pull email addresses and attachments from a MySQL database. Make a sign up form that puts the email addresses into a MySQL database, tell another script to mail out new issue notices monthly, and there's an mass-mailer that fits our needs perfectly. :popcorn:

Also, do you think we should stick with the Ubuntu browns/oranges/etc. color scheme or do something else?

EDIT: Here's a rough mailer script using PHPMailer. I think I probably screwed up in the SQL :) I've never really used SQL, so...

Still working on the front end.

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 02:46 AM
... Also, do you think we should stick with the Ubuntu browns/oranges/etc. color scheme or do something else?

Well i'm trying to NOT use the browns and oranges only, i'm trying to use the orange of Gnome and the blue of KDE to keep the mag neutral...

Here's a quick mock-up cover...

migla
March 31st, 2007, 03:32 AM
(sorry for being too impatient to read the thread in its entirety)

An ubuntu magazine in paper form (a "real" magazine) would seem a thing there should soon be a market for.

And even in digital form, a free for all, editorialized magazine should be very popular. Just pick the best news and howtos (digg.com is ripe with those) and add some own content. Best of luck!

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 03:41 AM
Well i'm trying to NOT use the browns and oranges only, i'm trying to use the orange of Gnome and the blue of KDE to keep the mag neutral...

Here's a quick mock-up cover...

Looks pretty good, but needs a better font.

EDIT: Anyone want to do some testing on my script and phpMailer? I don't have the resources (read: no idea how to set up the mySQL)

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 03:48 AM
Looks pretty good, but needs a better font.

Which bit needs a better font? The logo or the headers?... :confused:

UPDATE: having looked over the cover again, i'm quite sure you mean the headers font! It's definitely getting changed for something a bit less stuffy/boring! :D

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 04:09 AM
Sorry, should've clarified. Just my opinion, but the body/header fonts (describing the articles inside) should match a bit better with the logo and header.

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 09:28 AM
nice work so far but, if I may, i think it should be (cover and logo) a little more simple. that's want Ubuntu is about, simplicity and ease of use, or at least that's want we want to transmit. I agree with the colour scheme proposed, we can't be too GNOME or KDE centric.

I'll make some drawings and see what i can do for a logo..:)

mykalreborn
March 31st, 2007, 10:03 AM
i think a nice touch would be to include some "phylosophical" articles, stuff like why open-source is better than closed source or just things you might usually see on slashdot.org. not just tutorials. i bet there are a lot of people who would like to write about that. i know i'm one of them :D.
and my opinion is that the colours of the magazine and the fonts and everything else should look a lot like this website so as to maintain the "ubuntu-look".
just my 2 cents. (man i've always wanted to say that :p)

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 04:17 PM
i think a nice touch would be to include some "phylosophical" articles, stuff like why open-source is better than closed source or just things you might usually see on slashdot.org. not just tutorials. i bet there are a lot of people who would like to write about that. i know i'm one of them :D.
and my opinion is that the colours of the magazine and the fonts and everything else should look a lot like this website so as to maintain the "ubuntu-look".
just my 2 cents. (man i've always wanted to say that :p)

Yep, absolutely... same idea as people writing articles on why they left Windows but, yeah, feel free to get writing! :)

Oh, and here's an updated cover with better fonts...

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Yep, absolutely... same idea as people writing articles on why they left Windows but, yeah, feel free to get writing! :)

Oh, and here's an updated cover with better fonts...

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Seriously, that's a pretty good cover. I should have a website mockup done pretty soon.

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
oh yeah baby! that's what i'm talking! so much more nicer for my eyes lol

can you do something about those edges on top? it would be perfect if they were softer.

Great work!! We got a first cover ladies and gents ehehe (always wanted to say that too xD)

Mateo
March 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM
if you have problem finding volunteers for articles, you could always browse around blogs and then ask people if you can use one of their blog posts as an article in the magazine. I would think most people would be glad.

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 06:53 PM
if you have problem finding volunteers for articles, you could always browse around blogs and then ask people if you can use one of their blog posts as an article in the magazine. I would think most people would be glad.

Yeah, good idea. You could be 'a researcher' :D see? Fancy title... ;)

Thanks for the kind words, the cover image aint a definite, thats just an example image for now but, you never know... :D

Now working on page templates for the layout... hopefully have a 4 or 5 page PDF file, as an example, soon... :KS

linuxgeekery : what kinda site you making? Is it CMS or just HTML?... look forward to seeing what you got going... :)

mykalreborn
March 31st, 2007, 06:53 PM

me too. i have a howto about building banshee 0.12. the link is in my signature. :D

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, good idea. You could be 'a researcher' :D see? Fancy title... ;)

Thanks for the kind words, the cover image aint a definite, thats just an example image for now but, you never know... :D

Now working on page templates for the layout... hopefully have a 4 or 5 page PDF file, as an example, soon... :KS

linuxgeekery : what kinda site you making? Is it CMS or just HTML?... look forward to seeing what you got going... :)

if that's the start then the final thing will be superb! keep it up!

btw: maybe it would be a good ideia to make a list of people interested in participating, just to keep things tidy:)

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM

btw: maybe it would be a good ideia to make a list of people interested in participating, just to keep things tidy:)

It depends. Right now I'm working on a plain html + php site that includes phpBB.

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM

EDIT: I did some research and I'm going with drupal.

mykalreborn
March 31st, 2007, 07:22 PM
btw: maybe it would be a good ideia to make a list of people interested in participating, just to keep things tidy
i agree. and i would be very interested in writing a few articles. :D

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 08:08 PM
Yaaayy! Here we go... a four page, PDF, file for your comments... :popcorn:

Also attached is an example page with some filler text and FC logo with surrounding text...

As ever; all comments and criticism is more than welcome!

Speak now or forever hold your peace... :KS

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
humm maybe...too much text?

the final print could use some more images and blank spaces for ease of read and prevent loss of interest hehe

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
It depends. Right now I'm working on a plain html + php site that includes phpBB.

The site would really just be a place where we could say 'hey! New issue out! Come get it!!' and a page where people could attach a few items, to email me for inclusion... that kinda thing. Nothing too fancy.

I've been tinkering with Drupal lately and its quite nice. You could try it? I know it has a very basic forum with it too which would come in handy but really... this is THEE 'buntu forum for people to meet and discuss... no point in re-inventing the wheel (as someone else put it). If you want to tinker with it, I can install it on my server then give you access to the Drupal install if you want?...

Thanks for all the help folks, i really appreciate it and I hope to do you all proud with this mag... just glad to have found a way to contribute to the community.

Start writing, grabbing articles and getting pictures! :)

mykalreborn
March 31st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Speak now or forever hold your peace...
i still believe we should keep the colours, and the overall design of the ubuntu website. yes i know it's for kubuntu and xubuntu too, but the main distro is ubuntu after all. and even if we are not to keep the "human" look, i think everything is just a little too flashy. but that's just me, maybe other people feel different.
either way, i will still bring some articles for posting. :D

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 09:51 PM
i still believe we should keep the colours, and the overall design of the ubuntu website. yes i know it's for kubuntu and xubuntu too, but the main distro is ubuntu after all. and even if we are not to keep the "human" look, i think everything is just a little too flashy. but that's just me, maybe other people feel different.
either way, i will still bring some articles for posting. :D

agree. the magazine itself should cover Xu, Ku and Ed buntus but the mais look could be a little more "clean and sharp" like gnome *feels the rage of KDE users:lolflag:*

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 09:53 PM
I've got the website up! (http://www.openfish.info/drupal) It's by no means fully functional (basically a default drupal install) but it's there. I'll be fleshing it out with example content when I have some time.

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 09:58 PM
I've got the website up! (http://www.openfish.info/drupal) It's by no means fully functional (basically a default drupal install) but it's there. I'll be fleshing it out with example content when I have some time.

great! I'll begin writing my article as soon as I finish all my School stuff..

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 10:42 PM
great! I'll begin writing my article as soon as I finish all my School stuff..

Do I know you? Oh yeah... your the guy who said something bad about KDE...

You do realise i'm making this magazine in Scribus on Kubuntu don't you?? ;) :D

Ok, i've changed the master page colours to look more like the forum here...

PS: Don't worry about the page numbers being in toward the 'spine' its just the display on my KPDF :D

Comments?... :KS

el mariachi
March 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM
lol not an über-gnome-fan though :p
getting good!

linuxgeekery
March 31st, 2007, 11:15 PM
This looks promising: http://drupal.org/project/simplenews

daynah
March 31st, 2007, 11:16 PM
I'm one of those cursed people that's wonderful at writing but has nothing good to say. Thus, I can fix everyone's grammar.

I like the second article layout much better. The first was very red. Which I understand that Ubuntu's "brown" is a very orange-tinted brown but the first layout looked a bit Americana. :)

What about using the font that comes on the Ubuntu packages and make it look official, though it is not?

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 11:27 PM
lol not an über-gnome-fan though :p
getting good!

Yeah, yeah... you try and deny it... ;) :D

Adjusted the colours again, the previous ones were too red-y brown. These colours are taken directly from the Ubuntu Forums so ARE spot on! :D

mykalreborn
March 31st, 2007, 11:31 PM
Adjusted the colours again, the previous ones were too red-y brown. These colours are taken directly from the Ubuntu Forums so ARE spot on!

now that looks much better. much better indeed. i guess with time the design of the magazine will improve.
by the way, i'm just in the middle of writing a howto for installing banshee. it's very comprehensive if i do say so myself and it's made for noobs with screenshots and explenations along the way. i'll post it here tomorrow when i finish it.
man i'm so excited about this. :D

ronniet
March 31st, 2007, 11:42 PM
now that looks much better. much better indeed. i guess with time the design of the magazine will improve.
by the way, i'm just in the middle of writing a howto for installing banshee. it's very comprehensive if i do say so myself and it's made for noobs with screenshots and explenations along the way. i'll post it here tomorrow when i finish it.
man i'm so excited about this. :D

Thanks, glad you like it... :)

And thanks for writing an article, thank you. If it's a long article I can spread it across several issues if you want? Makes people come back for more issues! :D

Only thing is... i'm not so confident of that FC logo now... :(

Mateo
April 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM
how should we submit articles? i was going to send a plain text file, but now I think i'm going to add some pictures. maybe I will just tar together the plain text article with PNGs and let you decide where to place them.

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 12:31 AM
Only thing is... i'm not so confident of that FC logo now...
i feel the same too. it looks a little out of place . maybe we'll come up with something else.
a suggestion I have is that we should make a mailing list or something and really start checking out who's in and who's not. you know... getting things moving.

baza41
April 1st, 2007, 01:26 AM
OK, I'm happy to be a writer for an emag. I already write for a magazine on environmental issues, so I know the kind of style needed for mag writing. PM or email me.

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM
i feel the same too. it looks a little out of place . maybe we'll come up with something else.
a suggestion I have is that we should make a mailing list or something and really start checking out who's in and who's not. you know... getting things moving.

ANYONE wishing to take part in the emag, please use this site (http://www.openfish.info/drupal)

I'll still check this thread, but please use the site...

Mateo
April 1st, 2007, 02:52 AM
i'm not a fan of mailing lists, i'll have to find out new information here, unfortunately.

Compucore
April 1st, 2007, 03:06 AM
Just out of curiousity. what kind of articles would be in the emag? I have learnt some oracle in the past like on 8i/9I in 2003. I am currently starting to use 10G express which is also available for Linux as well from Oracle themselves. I could write up on some things that can be done with Oracle that can be used on Ubuntu for the home user or a combuination there of while using Ubuntu and Oracle together. I would like to help out where possible in my spare time. Just need to know where though you know.

COmpucore

aysiu
April 1st, 2007, 03:06 AM
This is not spamming. Please feel free to continue the discussion here. If the project turns big, you could even request a subforum on the Ubuntu Forums, and you could manage it.

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 03:16 AM
This is not spamming. Please feel free to continue the discussion here. If the project turns big, you could even request a subforum on the Ubuntu Forums, and you could manage it.

Ok, thank you. :KS

I've done a new, more clean, logo... more direct and to the point this time I think...

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 03:18 AM
Just out of curiousity. what kind of articles would be in the emag? I have learnt some oracle in the past like on 8i/9I in 2003. I am currently starting to use 10G express which is also available for Linux as well from Oracle themselves. I could write up on some things that can be done with Oracle that can be used on Ubuntu for the home user or a combuination there of while using Ubuntu and Oracle together. I would like to help out where possible in my spare time. Just need to know where though you know.

COmpucore

Sure, whatever you want to write... as i said; as long as its 'buntu related, it'll fit! :D
Just make sure that you put plenty of screenshots and detailed steps in there for us n00bs! :KS

Mateo
April 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM
i like that new cover ronniet. best one yet.

daynah
April 1st, 2007, 04:02 AM
I suggest the discussion stays here. It encourages casual people to take an interest. People who are on the fence whether they want to help or not would probably just wander off seeing a email list as too much effort for something they're not sure they want to help or not.

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 04:05 AM
hey all.

ill contribute any thing u want just ask and ill do by best. and great cover looks excellent. has the first issue come out yet??? excellent idea.

nolander

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Could you get me a png copy of that new logo to include on the website?

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 04:11 AM
Could you get me a png copy of that new logo to include on the website?

One logo, coming right up... :KS

@ Nolander : No issues released as yet but feel free to start writing! :)

@ Daynah : the discussion will primarily be here, i just didn't want to spam the forum with replies and attachments but the forum staff seem fine with it *phew!* :KS

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 04:26 AM
have to howto's on the go should be ready in a couple of days:
1. is wireless networking over kilometers
2. home surveillance(webcam + ZM)

if theres are no good for the mag then just say so.

nolander.

EDIT: is this emag just ubuntu or all linux distros

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM
have to howto's on the go should be ready in a couple of days:
1. is wireless networking over kilometers
2. home surveillance(webcam + ZM)

if theres are no good for the mag then just say so.

EDIT: is this emag just ubuntu or all linux distros

#2 sounds awesome, something i'd definitely want to know more about :)

It's a 'buntu emag, covers ALL flavours of 'buntu, the big four (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu) plus all the other lesser known/used flavours.

As I say ; as long as it's got something to do with a 'buntu flavour, then it's good! :KS

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the logo. I'll update it tomorrow (10:30PM here).

Copied from mailinglist:

The website is finally functional after a few hours of work! I've got the forums, subscription module, etc. set up. If you have a website feature request, feel free to contact me at drupal@openfish.info

Mateo
April 1st, 2007, 04:47 AM
daynah:

if you're still volunteering, i'd like to send you my article for proofreading. just PM me with an email address an I'll send it over.

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the logo. I'll update it tomorrow (10:30PM here).

Copied from mailinglist:

The website is finally functional after a few hours of work! I've got the forums, subscription module, etc. set up. If you have a website feature request, feel free to contact me at drupal@openfish.info

temporary url is : http://openfish.info/drupal/

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 05:15 AM
daynah:

if you're still volunteering, i'd like to send you my article for proofreading. just PM me with an email address an I'll send it over.

i like to think that im a good writer. so send it to me if u want. email is 'nolander.101@gmail.com'.

nolander.

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM
i've spent a little time in inkscape and came up with a different logo. it's a little dull, but i feel it fits better with the 'buntu theme. i hope it's not a violation of any licences, as i know the logo is not gpl. i've searched for something about this on the wiki, but no success. if i'm braking any laws please tell me.
well, anywho, here it is. :D

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM
i've spent a little time in inkscape and came up with a different logo. it's a little dull, but i feel it fits better with the 'buntu theme. i hope it's not a violation of any licences, as i know the logo is not gpl. i've searched for something about this on the wiki, but no success. if i'm braking any laws please tell me.
well, anywho, here it is. :D

Its allright but the other one is good to. maybe the full circle logo can change its colors?

nolander.

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
this really grew this overnight ^^

the cover is getting better! but, to be honest, the only thing i don't quite like, from the beginning, is the logo... it seems too "noobish" too much colors and effects. I can't really say I'm able to do better than that, I'm no designer, but we should try to come up with leaner ideas. *Logo competition anyone?*

The mag's going good though, a lot of interest and even the moderators approval, nice!
I'll have something written in no time! *damn school xD*

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 02:35 PM
LOGO Competition. dude ura legend. im so in ay. but...
the logo looks alright as it is. im still sorta a noob but.

excellent idea,
nolander

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
I've started up several different threads on the Full Circle website to talk about different aspects of the magazine. This way, everything isn't all jumbled up in one big megathread.

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Here's a log I have been toying with, I am sure someone could make it better with original files etc

ukubuntu

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 03:28 PM
lol, it's more like eduxkubuntu, but... :KS

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
lol, it's more like eduxkubuntu, but... :KS

This is true, But I wonder is this magazine to be Ubuntu only? or a formatted for all? It could have more content and more willing content providers. Tips can be shared across the range.
I wondered is this to be a monthly publication? Podcasted? and lets not forget the UWN

:)

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
I think it will just be PDFd monthly (?)

the logo seems cool lol too bad the Xu mascot is a mouse, it really stands bad there

lyceum
April 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM
As this is a new thread, I am throwing my ideas from the old one here.

My 2 cents on why this is a good idea:

1. Time stamp. Not everyone gets the Ubuntu e-mails. My Linux Format is a month old by the time I get it. I still read the news, even though it is old and I already read about it at Google.news, OSdir.com, here, or where ever. It is always good to get another perspective. New users do not always know where to get the news, and it can be a good look back in time for some people.

2. Easy access. New users do not want to search the world for info. An e-mag is very convenient for them. Rather than look for how-to's, a mag would have them (with pictures if done right). The cover would throw out things about what is inside, making it easier than a search.

3. Pictures in the how-to's. When I first for started I did not know things like "terminal" or what ever. I wanted to see pictures of how to do what I was doing, as I just did not know what was going on. An e-mag can have these, making life for new users easier.

4. There can also be fun things, like voting for the best screen shot for the past month, etc. There are ways to make it fun to keep it going after the new user phase.

This is a project that I wanted to do myself, but planed on working on next year. I have already found an editor, he will work for free. He is an English teacher. I will gladly do the covers, if you would like (I am too busy to do anything else right now). I am also working on a "marketing" website for FOSS that will be focused on Ubuntu right now to help get the word out about free software. I will gladly give you room, for free, to place the mag and you would not have to get any sponsors, so everything could be free. If you want to get sponsors to make some $$'s for the mag, that would be up to you. I would start it as bi-monthly until you get the contributers you need.

Here is what I feel is needed at this point:
A list of what goes in, and contributers to put it there.
here is a list of what I would like to see, please add-to or remove items as you see if.

1. Letters. Letters from the community just like any other mag has. What did you think of this or that? What would you like in the mag?
2. Editor's comments. Every good mag has a small one page letter from the editor about what they think of the mag and why you should read it.
3. News. This could be a re-write of the Ubuntu mailing list letters, stuff gathered from Google (it would have to be legal, no cut and paste. It could talk about what is said instead, have a link.)
4. Fun stuff. Who has the best desk-top? Who has the best Avatar, what ever.
5. Recommended programs. What is good in the FOSS world, and why?
6. How-to's. Customize your desktop for Gnome, KDE, etc... Use Blender, Gimp, OpenOffice.org, etc...

What I am willing to do

At this point, it looks like there are only a hand full of people really interested in making this. I would like to propose the following: have 4 topics, and each of us grab one. I am currently creating a web page, so I will take notes on everything I do. I am planing on using Blender, GIMP, Bluefish and trying a few different FTP programs (gFTP, Filezilla and the like).

GIMP & Blender (and any other art program I use) - I will write a how-to for everything I do. These can be spread out to many different issues.

Bluefish - The same, I can write a how-to for making web pages with Bluefish, for people use to WYSIWYG's.

FTP - I will write up a comparison of how each worked and why I liked the one I chose the best.

This way, when ever you need an article, there can either be a corner where I walk you through how to make a website or you can just use what you want to keep the mag stream lined. I really think that if we really want other people to sign up, we will need to make something, as we are not the first group to talk about it and at this point we really have not gotten much further. My 2 cents, let me know what you thing.

Also

I would also propose that the mag come out every other month until we can get enough people to help. I would really like to have something before Feisty +1 so there can be a special issue about it, I am guessing it is too late for 7.04 :D

Okay, sorry that was so long.

:popcorn:

-edit-
one last thing, sorry, I have a friend that is willing to edit. He is an author/English teacher.

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
This is true, But I wonder is this magazine to be Ubuntu only? or a formatted for all? It could have more content and more willing content providers. Tips can be shared across the range.
I wondered is this to be a monthly publication? Podcasted? and lets not forget the UWN

:)

I'm hoping it'll be monthly and it's for ALL 'buntu flavours.

Regarding the logo... I doubt very much that Canonical would let us butcher their Ubuntu logo(s). I know, from the mailing list, that the UK Ubuntu Local Team managed to get an Ubuntu logo with the Union Jack (flag) in it but they had to have it approved by Canonical.

No offense to Canonical but I don't want to end up with a magazine thats just a rip off of this site... same-ish layout, logo, etc... as that would bias it to Ubuntu (and probably get me in trouble with Canonical) :D

lyceum
April 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Here's a log I have been toying with, I am sure someone could make it better with original files etc

ukubuntu

I love this idea! I think it would be the perfect logo.

:guitar:

lyceum
April 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'm hoping it'll be monthly and it's for ALL 'buntu flavours.

Regarding the logo... I doubt very much that Canonical would let us butcher their Ubuntu logo(s). I know, from the mailing list, that the UK Ubuntu Local Team managed to get an Ubuntu logo with the Union Jack (flag) in it but they had to have it approved by Canonical.

No offense to Canonical but I don't want to end up with a magazine thats just a rip off of this site... same-ish layout, logo, etc... as that would bias it to Ubuntu (and probably get me in trouble with Canonical) :D

looks like we posted at the same time :)

Anyhow, if asked, Canonical may give the okay. They seem to help get the OS set up and get you stated, the mag could take things to the next level. Why pick on flavor over another, review distros based off Ubuntu, how to for what do do now that you are using Ubuntu, how many people have asked, "now that I've set it up, what do I do with it? Just throwing out ideas. :)

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Just a quickie on the timestamp.
If in RSS or Atom, then feed readers are now a better option.

I agree that it is a marketing issue and perhaps if the whole community is involved and it can then be linked from ubuntu.com direct

Canonical would be interested if any good. Is it expected only as online? PDFs have now a non-FOSS image lately which is political correctness but worth noting

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM
looks like we posted at the same time :)

Anyhow, if asked, Canonical may give the okay. They seem to help get the OS set up and get you stated, the mag could take things to the next level. Why pick on flavor over another, review distros based off Ubuntu, how to for what do do now that you are using Ubuntu, how many people have asked, "now that I've set it up, what do I do with it? Just throwing out ideas. :)

Things would get interesting if Canonical officially sponsored this. It'd probably draw a lot more attention to this project and that could attract more writers.

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Just a quickie on the timestamp.
If in RSS or Atom, then feed readers are now a better option.

Just in case I meant if the release note was reported in RSS not the mag content itself :)

Mateo
April 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM
I think we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. No need talking about a print edition, or whether it should be monthly vs bimonthly. That is a concern for established emags. Since we are just starting, shouldn't we release new issues when we get finished? Deadlines are good for getting things done, but we currently have no clue how long things take, and until we do, we probably shouldn't set deadlines. my opinion of course.

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. No need talking about a print edition, or whether it should be monthly vs bimonthly. That is a concern for established emags. Since we are just starting, shouldn't we release new issues when we get finished? Deadlines are good for getting things done, but we currently have no clue how long things take, and until we do, we probably shouldn't set deadlines. my opinion of course.
i agree. someone should be named editor-in-chief or something and then he - consulting the others of course - should set the categories of articles, the number of them and what not.
and ronniet should be the editor-in-chief because he's the one who started all of this. :D
any thoughts on this?

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
I just sent out a test of the newsletter distribution system. Mykal and nolander, please check your email to see if it worked.

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 04:25 PM
hey linuxgeekery

i got the email but no attachment.

nolander

EDIT: Do u want me to reply to it.

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM
i didn't get an attachment either. i also replied to your mail. i use thunderbird 1.5 - if that's any help. :D

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the attachment.
edit: tried again, hope this works

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the attachment.
edit: tried again, hope this works
nope. still not working.

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM
Email received but no attachment again

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
i agree. someone should be named editor-in-chief or something and then he - consulting the others of course - should set the categories of articles, the number of them and what not.
and ronniet should be the editor-in-chief because he's the one who started all of this. :D
any thoughts on this?

thanks mykalreborn, i'd be honoured to be Editor of the mag... any objections?
*hits baseball bat against other open hand ;) * :D

Assuming i am Editor, i'm proposing these article categories and placed in the magazine in this order (ie: news starting on p.03 (after the contents page));

News - this will be related to all flavours, and derivatives, of ubuntu and also news within the Linux world.

Install - Explain an install of an Ubuntu derived OS. What will it ask? What does it install? Not so much a review, more of a showcase.

Letters - readers who have something to say or discuss. This would also include snippets from the various 'buntu mailing lists and forums. Entire, full, threads welcome.

Reviews - where readers can review software that they personally use, this can also include hardware but with hardware please state if the hardware comes with Linux 'drivers' or they have to be obtained elsewhere.

How-to's - these would be, again, related to any Ubuntu derived OS. They must be detailed and have relevant screens where necessary. General rule; the more screens the better. Also the writer must say which 'buntu distros the article is applicable to. You can write on ANYthing you wish. Installing/configuring distro's, apps, games, whatever... as long as it runs on some form of Ubuntu.

Interview - where someone interviews a person within the 'buntu circle. This can be anyone from a forum mod to a 'buntu developer. Preferably the interviewee would be announced the issue before the interview, thus giving readers the chance to submit their questions.

Open Mic - where readers can explain why Microsoft suck and why they chose Linux and 'buntu in particular. BUT; the article will only be printed if it is a serious discussion. No mud-slinging without good reason!

My Desktop - readers can send in a screengrab of their desktop and explain how they got that desktop. What background are they using? What font(s)? Any extra widgets or applications that you had to install/configure?

Ok, that's my ideas so far... anything i've missed?

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM
ronniet,

Open Mic - is that sorta like user testimonials.
and howabout something on hardware- the latest support or driver released or how to install 'blank'.

nolander

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM
ronniet,

Open Mic - is that sorta like user testimonials.
and howabout something on hardware- the latest support or driver released or how to install 'blank'.

nolander

Open Mic is more like just people on their soapbox ranting about something or other. A place to vent off really...

Hardware... knew there'd be something i'd miss! I'll add that to my post above...

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
thanks mykalreborn, i'd be honoured to be Editor of the mag... any objections?
*hits baseball bat against other open hand ;) * :D

Assuming i am Editor, i'm proposing these article categories and placed in the magazine in this order (ie: news starting on p.03 (after the contents page));

News - this will be related to all flavours, and derivatives, of ubuntu and also news within the Linux world.

Install - Explain an install of an Ubuntu derived OS. What will it ask? What does it install? Not so much a review, more of a showcase.

Letters - readers who have something to say or discuss. This would also include snippets from the various 'buntu mailing lists and forums. Entire, full, threads welcome.

Reviews - where readers can review software that they personally use, this can also include hardware but with hardware please state if the hardware comes with Linux 'drivers' or they have to be obtained elsewhere.

How-to's - these would be, again, related to any Ubuntu derived OS. They must be detailed and have relevant screens where necessary. General rule; the more screens the better. Also the writer must say which 'buntu distros the article is applicable to. You can write on ANYthing you wish. Installing/configuring distro's, apps, games, whatever... as long as it runs on some form of Ubuntu.

Interview - where someone interviews a person within the 'buntu circle. This can be anyone from a forum mod to a 'buntu developer. Preferably the interviewee would be announced the issue before the interview, thus giving readers the chance to submit their questions.

Open Mic - where readers can explain why Microsoft suck and why they chose Linux and 'buntu in particular. BUT; the article will only be printed if it is a serious discussion. No mud-slinging without good reason!

My Desktop - readers can send in a screengrab of their desktop and explain how they got that desktop. What background are they using? What font(s)? Any extra widgets or applications that you had to install/configure?

Ok, that's my ideas so far... anything i've missed?

Sounds great! I could do a My Desktop on XFCE - I'm pretty good with customizing it. I could possibly do a howto on setting up some web applications (drupal, wordpress, phpBB, etc) on an ubuntu system.

Speaking of titles, could I be "website administrator" or something of the sort? ;)

freesitebuilder
April 1st, 2007, 06:15 PM
The Free Software Magazine (http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/) often features 'buntu - they may be willing to allow use of some of their articles in exchange for the use of some of yours, which would be good promotion for both.

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM
i think the roll of:

Website administrator
and
Editor in chief

were well definded at the beginning of the thread. i mean who started it "ronniet" the editor in chief and who made the website "linuxgeekery" the site administrator.

:( i want a title,

Nolander

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Sounds great! I could do a My Desktop on XFCE - I'm pretty good with customizing it. I could possibly do a howto on setting up some web applications (drupal, wordpress, phpBB, etc) on an ubuntu system.

Speaking of titles, could I be "website administrator" or something of the sort? ;)

if the website looks pretty, does the job and the community accepts it then, yeah, you'd be 'Website Administrator'. But it's gotta look pretty and professional! :)

On a different note; how's about this for a logo? This is a larger version of the one suggested by ookooboontoo.

Before using it and releasing the magazine i think i'll need to send a preview of it to Canonical to get their ok on it since were basically ripping off their site and logos... :(

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 06:36 PM
like the logo. especially the reflection in the surface.
and like the categories.
like the idea and all. :D

linuxgeekery
April 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
if the website looks pretty, does the job and the community accepts it then, yeah, you'd be 'Website Administrator'. But it's gotta look pretty and professional! :)

On a different note; how's about this for a logo? This is a larger version of the one suggested by ookooboontoo.

Before using it and releasing the magazine i think i'll need to send a preview of it to Canonical to get their ok on it since were basically ripping off their site and logos... :(

I think the drupal theme is about as professional looking as you can get, unless someone wants to build us a custom drupal theme (hint hint). Don't worry nolander, we'll think of something for you. :)

Nolander
April 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
all the website needs is a splash of color.
and ill have watever title u give me. ;)lol.

nolander

Edit:
How we going on that mailing script???

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Don't worry... everybody can get titles after they hand in something or other... :)

No input = no title :KS

Ok, added more pages to the 'Beta Preview' :)
Again its only filler text and images just to show how it'll pad out.

I hope your all writing articles by now! :D

The site looks ok but the logo is biiiig and looks like its just been plopped in there not nicely integrated. The site is definitely getting there (thanks linuxgeekery!) but it definitely needs to look similar to this forum and, thus, the magazine. Have a root around on some sites for Drupal themes, then adjust the colours in them.

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM

THe logo looks great and I suspect that as this is about the 'buntus from the 'buntus for the 'buntus etc, I would think Canonical would accept it. You do better logo work than I do :D

A point of not on the mail distribution - sending a magazine has a number of problems.
1 bandwidth for the distributor, this could mean that in posting the mail it takes a great deal of time to send out each mail, however if there is a link to a site then the mail is miniscule in comparison.
2 some mail programs may block due to size of attachment
3 a permanent location to store and archive the mag is needed anyway, why double up?
4 Feeds can alert subscribers of new editions
5 The more it is loaded, the more it is cached on servers hence generally less net bandwidth used

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM
I received an email with attachments (dunno if that's what you've been talking about)

I'll make an article about my switch from Windows Xp to buntu and some misconceptions I had at first yabba yabba yabba. from there on I think I can help out on a more "social" style, duo to my lack of experience in Linux, i really don't want to be out of this project, it's really a damn good thing

(like the logo btw, nice Xu mouse)

BuffaloX
April 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM

The 3D glass ubuntu logo, you have used for the proposal cover looks extremely cool.

I don't know who made it, but if it's possible, I think that a version of that logo,
Sliced into 4 layers, each layer done in the tones of the colors of the different ubuntu versions, would make an awesome logo.

And since it's an electronic magazine, we don't have to worry about expensive 6 color prints.

I think Full Circle is a good name for the magazine,
but maybe with a subtitle like "ubuntu community magazine"
Just to make it easier for newcomers to identify what it's all about.

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Ronniet, I am not such a linux savvy hacker, but I would be happy to proof read and perhaps submit some quick tips I have learnt on the way or maybe review software?

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Ronniet, I am not such a linux savvy hacker, but I would be happy to proof read and perhaps submit some quick tips I have learnt on the way or maybe review software?

Sure, no probs. :)
Pass your name to linuxgeekery and i'm sure he'll add it to the list of writers.

I'm getting a new modem/router next week (a Netgear) so i'll probably review that :)

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Is someone intending to write about .iso burning? I'm writing my article about switching to Linux/Ubuntu and this issue came into question.

If no one is writing it/don't want to, I can write it or look it up on the web ;) just tell something ;)

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Is someone intending to write about .iso burning? I'm writing my article about switching to Linux/Ubuntu and this issue came into question.

If no one is writing it/don't want to, I can write it or look it up on the web ;) just tell something ;)

burning ISO's in Kubuntu is best with K3B which is pretty straight forward, dunno about in Gnome...

But feel free to write about it... if you need KDE shots/help just lemme know...

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM
it's not for Ubuntu its for Windows users that want to migrate. They have to burn the iso in windows right? :P lol

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM
it's not for Ubuntu its for Windows users that want to migrate. They have to burn the iso in windows right? :P lol

I sent a pm to you with some free cd burner links. You may also consider the migration tool reference as it is only 3 weeks away from launch.

PM also sent to linuxgeekery

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
This is just a sketch... I got a bit overexcited :lolflag: , wrote i bit too much, but few about what i was supposed to write.

Anyway check it out. (do also mail it?)

jgrabham
April 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
I would love to write about MS doing bad things, and the general annoyingness of microsoft. I love to be annoying, and I hate microsoft.

Also I have nothing to do half the time so im always bored.

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM
I would love to write about MS doing bad things, and the general annoyingness of microsoft. I love to be annoying, and I hate microsoft.

Also I have nothing to do half the time so im always bored.

I don't think we should do that... that wouldn't be very "ubuntu" or humane. we should show people what ubuntu can do by itself, not what others fail at. Windows and Mac are both good OS's, we just want people to realize that Ubuntu is better:KS

ookooboontoo
April 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
I don't think we should do that... that wouldn't be very "ubuntu" or humane. we should show people what ubuntu can do by itself, not what others fail at. Windows and Mac are both good OS's, we just want people to realize that Ubuntu is better:KS

I would have to agree with el mariachi. Whilst it may be felt inside, it is not the Ubuntu way to put down others. It is far better to show the wonders of the alternatives than slag the competition.

The philosophy of MS was probably right when it started, and has driven many things that may not be here today. However, we know that when the public become aware of the positives of FOSS, it is more likely to promote better change than one with ill-feeling attached.

With global warming, industrialisation was right at the time, but now public awareness is able to promote change to a more beneficial attitude

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 10:30 PM
bashing windows is definetly not the way to go.
btw: i sent an article to the mailing lists. do i have to send it on the website too to get it submited or?... and maybe all the people involved could give their real and full name, so we won't be stuck with nicknames.

el mariachi
April 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
bashing windows is definetly not the way to go.
btw: i sent an article to the mailing lists. do i have to send it on the website too to get it submited or?... and maybe all the people involved could give their real and full name, so we won't be stuck with nicknames.

yeah... where's that editor-in-command? lol do we send our stuff to the mail group to be reviewed by everyone?

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM
When your article is all written and spell checked, attach it and any screens to an email and send it to me : ronnie [at] ronnietucker.co.uk

I'll probably take down the mailing list to be honest, it was put up incase Ubuntu Forums didn't want us discussing it on their bandwidth :D

I'll email some details to linuxgeekery to put on the website with regards to submitting articles...

Thanks guys!

mykalreborn
April 1st, 2007, 11:41 PM
:D i've sent my article.
btw. what about the thing with the real names? i know it's not that important, but still...
soon i think we'll need our own subforum. :D

Mateo
April 1st, 2007, 11:50 PM
sent mine as well.

ronniet
April 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys, got 'em!

I agree that we probably should use our real names. At the end of each article I have a box there for the author so that they can put in a short bio or avatar or something?

I've also emailed Canonical to get their blessing on the logo and layout, i'll let you all know how it goes.

Oh, and feel free to use the site forum too if you have any questions...
http://www.openfish.info/drupal/

I'll get a .org for it soon...

linuxgeekery
April 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
I still have the one free domain on my dreamhost account (the one that hosts the current website). You can give me the .org to register and it's free for a year.

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
I still have the one free domain on my dreamhost account (the one that hosts the current website). You can give me the .org to register and it's free for a year.

Thanks dude, thats really kind of you.

Ok people, we need a domain name now... i'm thinking :
fullcirclemagazine.org (which is available)

(fullcircle.org and full-circle.org are both taken)

any other ideas? Please check that its not already taken!

Mateo
April 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
sounds good, fullcirclemagazine.org.

by the way, you should have gotten my real name in the email i sent.

deepwave
April 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Hmm... looks like you guys are going in the right direction. All you need is enough articles, and get published on a regular basis. I suggest starting small with like 4-5 articles a month and adding more content as you get more contributers. Writing tutorials or reviews about programs is a good way to start. The most important part is to publish on a regular basis.

Nolander
April 2nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
hey all,

Im Back, the time difference must b huge. im in australia.

anyho back ons subject. About the real name thing. how about 2 or 3 bios in the back of the mag each issue. and my PP on the first issue is 1 article per heading.

byw. did u get the news letter sender working???

Nolander.

linuxgeekery
April 2nd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Wow, this is moving along a lot quicker than I thought. Anyways, I'd like everyone to _please_ look through this long list of themes: http://drupal.org/project/Themes

Just post which one you like here: http://www.openfish.info/drupal/node/19

Thanks! :KS

Nolander
April 2nd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Antique Modern
Aurora
Barron
Goofy
Aaaaahhhh!!! there all so good but the ohe obove are tops.

Nolander.

linuxgeekery
April 2nd, 2007, 03:38 AM
fullcirclemagazine.org seems like what we're going with. buying it tomorrow. please state objections now.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
i have no objection what so ever. :D

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
i have no objection what so ever. :D

+1:)

could someone make a database or something with everyone's email? it would be simpler to send stuff to each other, rather than searching the forum for the nickname.

maybe a closed topic in the forum, STAFF only (?)

anyway, i sent my article for proofing. I'll make the ISO burning one.\\:D/

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
could someone make a database or something with everyone's email? it would be simpler to send stuff to each other, rather than searching the forum for the nickname.

the forum doesn't disclose people's email addresses so if everyone interested in contributing could give their name and email address to linuxgeekery (or sign up to the site) they'll be added to the newsletter list, that way you'll be kept up to date with things... :)

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
the forum doesn't disclose people's email addresses so if everyone interested in contributing could give their name and email address to linuxgeekery (or sign up to the site) they'll be added to the newsletter list, that way you'll be kept up to date with things... :)

I'm already registered. Sending my info to linuxgeekery
Thanks ;)

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
I've added all the people who are in this project in my buddy list to get in touch with them easier if i need to.
and i'll be sending my info to linuxgeekery right about now. :D

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
by the way... are we going to use pdf afterall? isn't there an open-source alternative?

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
by the way... are we going to use pdf afterall? isn't there an open-source alternative?

I dunno... all the formats I know are proprietary... hasn't scribus got one of those?

Nolander
April 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Just a suggestion. i think it should be a pdf. because it is universe so window users can still read it. i dont know 4 shore but i dont think alternatives will be supported.

Nolander.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
i've done a quick search on wikipedia. what about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DjVu)?
:D

edit:

Just a suggestion. i think it should be a pdf. because it is universe so window users can still read it. i dont know 4 shore but i dont think alternatives will be supported.

didn't think of that. still DjVu is worth taking a look at

re-edit:

i've installed DjVu and it's not that suitable. first because you have to download a plugin in linux also - although they have pretty much covered every type of binary installer, and because it doesn't look all that good.
take a look

Nolander
April 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
there is a win and mac DjVu Viewer. but i recon stick with pdf. so readers dont need to download another program.

nolander,

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
This is just a sketch... I got a bit overexcited , wrote i bit too much, but few about what i was supposed to write.

i read this. it needs a little work because it sounds a bit superficial. you went too fast - my opinion - and the reader doesn't get captured by what you were saying. other than that it's pretty cool
oh, and this is constructive criticism so no hard feelings, ey ? :lolflag:

ookooboontoo
April 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Interesting minutes from the marketing meeting

Ubuntu Magazine
Yet again, there are people interested in reviving this project. This
will be done by creating a first issue, and working from there.
I have made a couple of favicons for the website, simply replace the drupal favicon.ico in the main folder

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM

I reckon PDF is the way to go as Scribus easily exports to PDF.

I think we'd be doing ourselves harm by releasing a magazine in a non-standard format. PDF can be viewed on Windows, Mac's and Linux... :)

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Interesting minutes from the marketing meeting

I don't remember us giving them permission to talk about us! ;) :D

Don't forget to vote for your favourite Drupal theme for the site!
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2388629&postcount=136

Adamant1988
April 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Anyone interested in helping make this a reality I encourage you to either

Get in touch with me via my e-mail
Join the marketing-team mailing list and help us iron out the details
do both ;)

('3' is the encouraged option ;) )

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM

do both ;)

:confused: I don't mean to sound rude but this IS a reality and WILL be released, with or without the Ubuntu marketing team...

If the marketing team want to help out in the magazine then by all means please feel free to put your ideas out to the community in this thread.

Burgundavia
April 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Cool, somebody is working on the magazine idea. Having had a few conversations with Chris Kenyon of Canonical in the past, I know they are interested in such a thing. Are any of you able to pop on to IRC and chat about making this project more official, via the marketing team?

Corey

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
Cool, somebody is working on the magazine idea. Having had a few conversations with Chris Kenyon of Canonical in the past, I know they are interested in such a thing. Are any of you able to pop on to IRC and chat about making this project more official, via the marketing team?

Corey

I'd be more than happy to have this blessed by Canonical but surely its manners for the marketing team to approach the project rather than the project approach them?... :confused:

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM

do both ;)

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. :-|

Adamant1988
April 2nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. :-|

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize I had that setting on.

/me fixes it.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
It sounds like someone, somewhere, is seeing this project become a reality and wants a piece of the pie...
now i think we're getting a little of ourselves. don't get me wrong. i don't agree with adam. we made this a reality (well.. mostly you and linuxgeekery), and none of the marketing team staff helped us. but still we should remember this is an open comunity. people are doing - or should be doing - this out of generosity for the comunity and thus there shouldn't be any competitions, and if there were any they should be constructive.
i just think you were a little mean there, that's all.
still, i agree, if the marketing team wants to help, by all means we could use the extra hand, but the project has already been started so there's no point for starting it yet again is there?
my thought on the whole matter.
and about the pdf thing, i agree. i didn't quite think about mac or windows users. hehe.:P pdf really is the best thing.

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
now i think we're getting a little of ourselves. don't get me wrong. i don't agree with adam. we made this a reality (well.. mostly you and linuxgeekery), and none of the marketing team staff helped us. but still we should remember this is an open comunity. people are doing - or should be doing - this out of generosity for the comunity and thus there shouldn't be any competitions, and if there were any they should be constructive.
i just think you were a little mean there, that's all.still, i agree, if the marketing team wants to help, by all means we could use the extra hand, but the project has already been started so there's no point for starting it yet again is there?
my thought on the whole matter.
and about the pdf thing, i agree. i didn't quite think about mac or windows users. hehe.:P pdf really is the best thing.

You are right, it was a bit mean, i've taken that line out of my original statement now, but it just kinda gets me a bit annoyed that the community has done all this work in making it a reality then it seems like the marketing people are talking as though they own it! :(

I'll email the marketing team and hear what they have to say...

Mateo
April 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
I reckon PDF is the way to go as Scribus easily exports to PDF.

I think we'd be doing ourselves harm by releasing a magazine in a non-standard format. PDF can be viewed on Windows, Mac's and Linux... :)

I agree. PDF is nearly the standard. No reason to make the magazine less accessible for philosophical reasons (philosophical reasons we might not all share -- just because the official Ubuntu development team are open-source fundamentalists doesn't mean the magazine has to have that same attitude). Besides, nearly everyone downloads the mp3 codecs and the program to get DVDs to work. Heck, the open-source Evince views PDFs by default. PDF is definitely the way to go.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
You are right, it was a bit mean, i've taken that line out of my original statement now, but it just kinda gets me a bit annoyed that the community has done all this work in making it a reality then it seems like the marketing people are talking as though they own it!

that is true.
join the irc channel:ubuntu-marketing. they're discussing this right now

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
about the pdf thing, i agree. i didn't quite think about mac or windows users. hehe.:P pdf really is the best thing.

the main purpose is to "convert" Win/Mac users so we can't expect them to use other more "obscure" formats:lolflag:

it's weird the sudden interest of the marketing team but if they want to help, why not? Open source and community can't be separated that easily lol just my humble opinio tho

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
that is true.
join the irc channel:ubuntu-marketing. they're discussing this right now

Unfortunately I can't, i'm at work at the moment... :(

But like El Mariachi said; its a bit suspicious how they've suddenly sprung on this project... but, as i've emailed to Adamant1988, the marketing team are more than welcome to help out...

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
don't forget to let us know their answer/comments/suggestions whatever ;)

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
But like El Mariachi said; its a bit suspicious how they've suddenly sprung on this project... but, as i've emailed to Adamant1988, the marketing team are more than welcome to help out...
yes they are. this argument was all a little misunderstanding. i'm sure in a few years time, this will be something we'll all laugh at. :lolflag:
too bad you can't get on irc though. you could have disscussed this more thoroughly with adam.

mrmonday
April 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hi,

I would be willing to help on the magazine, I can do anything you want me to. I have experience in programming basic websites (with XHTML + CSS + bits of javascript). I can also design graphics and write articles for you.

Could someone fill me in on the main progressions since the front page? I skipped from the front to here.

Thanks.

Mateo
April 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I would be willing to help on the magazine, I can do anything you want me to. Could someone fill me in on the main progressions since the front page? I skiped from the front to here.

Thanks.

basically I think we need more articles.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Hi,

I would be willing to help on the magazine, I can do anything you want me to. Could someone fill me in on the main progressions since the front page? I skiped from the front to here.

Thanks.
if you're patient enough you could read the post here and tell us what you think. you could visit the website and all. cheers!

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
yes they are. this argument was all a little misunderstanding. i'm sure in a few years time, this will be something we'll all laugh at. :lolflag:
too bad you can't get on irc though. you could have disscussed this more thoroughly with adam.

It just annoyed me the way it was put across as 'contact us or die' kinda thing... very pompus

aysiu
April 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Let's not let the politics get out of control here.

Can I make a proposal?

If the Ubuntu eMag folk want to integrate with the larger Marketing Team's efforts, they can do so, but they should not feel pressured to do so. They may also decide not to integrate efforts but to just keep the Marketing Team abreast of what's going on and perhaps suggest ways the Marketing Team can help out.

If the Marketing Team wants integration of efforts, it should be very careful not to present that desire as any kind of pressure but as a mere proposal with outlined specific benefits to both parties.

The Ubuntu eMag people working alone could be just fine. Combining efforts or working in conversation with (if not in conjunction with) the Marketing Team could also be just fine.

To everyone--please be open to exploring all the possibilities.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
aysiu you should be a judge or something. you allways manage to bring things "middle grounded" - sort of speak. :D

aysiu
April 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
I can get pretty riled up and biased, but on this issue, I'm not involved, so it's easy for me to be "middle grounded."

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Hi,

I would be willing to help on the magazine, I can do anything you want me to. I have experience in programming basic websites (with XHTML + CSS + bits of javascript). I can also design graphics and write articles for you.

Could someone fill me in on the main progressions since the front page? I skipped from the front to here.

Thanks.

Feel free to write, write, WRITE! :D

Have a look over the submission guidelines on our temp website (url is in my sig). Look forward to reading your articles :)

ookooboontoo
April 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM

Can I make a proposal?

If the Ubuntu eMag folk want to integrate with the larger Marketing Team's efforts, they can do so, but they should not feel pressured to do so. They may also decide not to integrate efforts but to just keep the Marketing Team abreast of what's going on and perhaps suggest ways the Marketing Team can help out.

If the Marketing Team wants integration of efforts, it should be very careful not to present that desire as any kind of pressure but as a mere proposal with outlined specific benefits to both parties.

The Ubuntu eMag people working alone could be just fine. Combining efforts or working in conversation with (if not in conjunction with) the Marketing Team could also be just fine.

I too feel that there needs to be some careful thought into the exercise. I briefly went on irc 20 mins ago and whilst it is easy to see how the marketing team could seem like they want to take over, in fact they are just as enthusiastic as the rest of us.

I have not been within the Linux community for long but I do know from communities that careful management and a respecting all individuals.

There is much to discuss and I would think it prudent to wait a month until a first release to gain an idea of the pressures involved. As well as an editor, there may need to be additional management to help keep the focus.

A comment made earlier, that this magazine is mainly to help convert windows users - I see this as only a small facet. I think give a window and a route into the 'buntu world but also open up all the facets within it for all 'buntu users. There will be a need to cater for all sections of the Ubuntu community, from novice to pro.

A

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM

Can I make a proposal?

I couldn't have put it better myself! :KS

I totally agree with what your saying aysiu. What got my back up was that we're very open in this thread so when the marketing team seemed to muscle in, we've no idea what their motivations/intentions/ideas are! :(

So yeah, if they want to help us out then great, i'm all for it, 'more hands make light work', but they have to explain what we're going to do for helping one another... :)

aysiu
April 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
A comment made earlier, that this magazine is mainly to help convert windows users - I see this as only a small facet. I think give a window and a route into the 'buntu world but also open up all the facets within it for all 'buntu users. There will be a need to cater for all sections of the Ubuntu community, from novice to pro. I agree.

A good magazine would be one like Linux Format but focused specifically on Ubuntu. Linux Format manages to appeal in its tutorials and news articles to both novices and intermediate users. I'm not a pro, but I'm guessing it's a little beneath pros in terms of its appeal.

mrmonday
April 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
ronniet, I wouldn't know what to write about... If you give me some ideas, I can write for you.

mykalreborn, How did you make that logo you posted? I have been trying to do one myself, but I can not get the curves right.

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
ronniet, I wouldn't know what to write about... If you give me some ideas, I can write for you.

mykalreborn, How did you make that logo you posted? I have been trying to do one myself, but I can not get the curves right.

Just write about whatever hits you. If its HTML or Java, feel free. If its just how you got into Linux, go for it. Dig deep and write about whatever your passion is...

Mateo
April 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM

A good thing to do is think about some program or something that's made your computing more productive, and write about it. or think about something that your enthusiastic about, and write about that.

aysiu
April 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Just write about whatever hits you. If its HTML or Java, feel free. If its just how you got into Linux, go for it. Dig deep and write about whatever your passion is...
Maybe some submission ideas would be good to accumulate?

I've got a few ideas:

Your Ubuntu switch story
Other distros you'd recommend and why
Reviews of open source applications available for Windows and Mac
Application recommendations/reviews
GIMP tutorials
OpenOffice tutorials
Guides to non-traditional *buntus (IceWM, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, etc.)

Also, if you find some good posts in these forums, you could PM the writers of those posts and ask permission to have them published in the eMag.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't know what to write about... If you give me some ideas, I can write for you.
there are a lot of ideas in this thread. and there's one post which contains a bunch of categories

Adamant1988
April 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
You are right, it was a bit mean, i've taken that line out of my original statement now, but it just kinda gets me a bit annoyed that the community has done all this work in making it a reality then it seems like the marketing people are talking as though they own it! :(

I've replied to your email. I hope we can come to a satisfactory arrangement.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
How did you make that logo you posted? I have been trying to do one myself, but I can not get the curves right.
i opened up inkscape and used my eyes, lol. i zoomed up close and with patiance and a steady hand i managed to make it round. well, it's not that round :D, but you can only see that at a large size

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
i opened up inkscape and used my eyes, lol. i zoomed up close and with patiance and a steady hand i managed to make it round. well, it's not that round :D, but you can only see that at a large size

That'll be an article idea for you then mykal ;) :D

TIP : most art progs will easily draw an ellipse but if you need to make a circle, hold down SHIFT :)

mrmonday
April 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
I have started writing an arcticle, It's a bit bloggy, but it'll do. I think someone should do what aysiu suggested, and come up with some catagories. We could post the development forum on the site, so people knw what to write about. I will also start working on a logo, and switch between them when I feel like it.

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM
That'll be an article idea for you then mykal
not really. i was practicaly working blind. i really don't know how to operate in that program. i was improvising lol.
mrmonday, take a look at this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2386178&postcount=101

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
ok, just to fill people in on whats going on in the background with me and Adam... :D
Nothing bad anyway... :KS

I emailed Adam that I had no objections to the marketing team helping us out, his reply was positive (pasted here with his permission) ;

Ronnie:

I understand your feelings, and I did not mean to give the impression
that we were 'muscling in' on your project. We (the marketing team) do have
experience with this type of project as a strong effort went under way about
6 months ago to do roughly the same thing you're doing.

I am hopeful that you would not be opposed to meeting the marketing
team in the middle and making your project a more official one. I do
completely understand that you started this project, but I encourage you to
consider merging efforts with us (the marketing team) to make this a
reality. With the marketing team's experience and resources and your
enthusiasm we could produce a much better product than either of our groups
could produce individually.

In fact many on the marketing team would rather not 'muscle in' on your
project simply because it *is* a massive effort that requires a lot of work
and time investment, which many of our members do not have to give. The
marketing team hosts a number of other large projects that are very time
consuming, like the UWN, and the DIY website. Discussion came up during our
meeting yesterday about reviving the magazine, and I pointed toward your
thread as a sign that the community was (once again) interested in seeing
this happen. We don't want you to give up your project to the marketing
team as we don't have the resources to do it, you would not need to give
anything up.

We would like to encourage you to speak with us on IRC
(#ubuntu-marketing) or on our mailing list (see http://www.lists.ubuntu.com)
so that both groups can come to an arrangement that we can all be happy
with. I am sorry for any misunderstandings that occurred on the forums, and
we don't mean to step on any toes. There are a lot of obvious benefits to
collaborating on this matter, not the least of which is that the Magazine
would be more widely distributed and more official. We would all like the
same thing, so let's collaborate. I, and the rest of the marketing team,
look forward to discussing this with you in the near future.
-
Adam.

To which I replied ;
(pasted here by my kind permission ;) )

Hi Adam,

No problem, just crossed wires... :)

If anything I should apologise for my harsh first post which i then realised was harsh
and edited... :/

As many other people have said in the forum post we would be delighted to be able to help
the community and Ubuntu by being more official I can't speak deinitively without the
other voices having their say in things.

Would their be any objection to putting your email (below) in the forum post? To let
others put across their comments?

I for one would not object to being an official magazine as long as the community was
assured its independence and wasn't held back in any way.

I have now joined the marketing mailing list and will participate in the discussions, i
will also try and get to the IRC channel too.

All the best,
Ronnie

So, whats your thoughts on this folks? As I said in my email to Adam, i've no objections to being an official magazine to the ubuntu community but as long as we keep our independence (which it seems we would).

Discuss... :KS

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
seems fine to me! their help will be vital for the mag to be more widespread. what about canonical? did they replied?

marketing team doing marketing and we doing "journalism" seems quite right, because no magazine of just one of these things

mrmonday
April 2nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Oooooh. "The Full Circle - Ubuntu's Official e-Magazine".

Has A nice ring to it... No objections from me :D

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
So, whats your thoughts on this folks? As I said in my email to Adam, i've no objections to being an official magazine to the ubuntu community but as long as we keep our independence (which it seems we would).

i've sent you an email, and if you feel you can post it here too. thought it's not even close to being so proffesional as adam's lol :D
my thoughts: the marketing team helping us is nothing more than a way to progress the outgoing of this project

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
i've sent you an email, and if you feel you can post it here too. thought it's not even close to being so proffesional as adam's lol :D
my thoughts: the marketing team helping us is nothing more than a way to progress the outgoing of this project

yeah he writes quite well:KS

Mateo
April 2nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
I do have some objections to being official. What if I wanted to write an article where I disagree with one of Ubuntu's decisions? becoming official does give them veto power, unfortunately.

el mariachi
April 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I do have some objections to being official. What if I wanted to write an article where I disagree with one of Ubuntu's decisions? becoming official does give them veto power, unfortunately.

that's a point... we will be independent, but how much? where does that freedom ends?

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM

that is a very good point. and a puzzeling question indeed. :-k
an idea would be to put a disclamer on the articles that don't agree with the official ubuntu view point stating that these are our own thoughts

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM

I really appreciate you guys representing us in the IRC, i'd have gone there myself too but I don't have an IRC client in work... :(

To fill the others in; the general idea seems to be that we continue going as we're doing but before we can release an issue we have to put it past the Marketing Team before it can be released.

Although this would hold things up a tad, i've no real objections to it since I wouldn't print anything bad about Canonical/Ubuntu (unless it truly deserved it! :) ) My only reservation is that even if deserved, we may not be allowed to print anything anti-Canonical, but don't quote me on that since i've not had any discussion about terms of agreement here! :D

As ever, i'll keep you informed...

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM

Thats the one reservation I have. If Canonical/Ubuntu make a bad decision that the community doesn't agree with I still want us to keep the power to be able to print that story and that we disagree with it...

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
A potential article for someone could be to take the Top 10 or 20 apps (or more) from this post : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=382137

And describe the apps, provide screens and depending on the amount of obscure apps mentioned we could span it across two or more issues... :)

Just an idea... :KS

ookooboontoo
April 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Thats the one reservation I have. If Canonical/Ubuntu make a bad decision that the community doesn't agree with I still want us to keep the power to be able to print that story and that we disagree with it...Hmm, now this is where I start to show my concern, though I am sure my fears can be allayed.

I feel that if a magazine is produced as an officially sponsored item, then if decisions taken by the Canonical, Launchpad, Shippit or any other recognised affiliate of Ubuntu, then as with any other team that is publiscised, the reporting should be unbiased, fair, give both sides of a story and leave the reader informed, not prejudiced.

In fact even if it was not an official mag then I feel that these principles should be paramount.

ookooboontoo
April 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
As reported in the marketing mailout, this is worth looking at (a few lines down if you can't read Dutch)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=magazine&titlesearch=Titles

mykalreborn
April 2nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
To fill the others in; the general idea seems to be that we continue going as we're doing but before we can release an issue we have to put it past the Marketing Team before it can be released.

it's good to note that no decision has been made on the irc chatroom. those were just ideas and we agreed we would wait for ronnie to talk to the marketing team. it's not a decision yet, except if, ronnie, you agree with the ideas i mailed you. and if you did you should post a more detailed description of the way we'll get things done and we should notify the marketing team about it.

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
it's good to note that no decision has been made on the irc chatroom. those were just ideas and we agreed we would wait for ronnie to talk to the marketing team. it's not a decision yet, except if, ronnie, you agree with the ideas i mailed you. and if you did you should post a more detailed description of the way we'll get things done and we should notify the marketing team about it.

I've passed a few emails back and forth between myself and Adam and i'll have an MSN conversation with him shortly (hopefully tonight) to get any differences ironed out but as long as we keep our independence then i'm good with it...

linuxgeekery
April 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
HOLY $*#@... a lot happened while I've been gone. :popcorn: Now back on topic...

As I've said, a lot's happened. I'm getting to work on all of this ASAP

EDIT: Email list live @ http://www.openfish.info/drupal/node/21 (no link on any of the pages, tried to make it as private as possible)

DOUBLE EDIT: fullcirclemagazine.org is now registered. It should go live within 48 hours (takes a while for DNS sometimes)

ronniet
April 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
I'm just chatting with Adam and the Marketing Team in IRC if anyone wants to pop by to see whats going on or get their say...

irc.freenode.org
#ubuntu-marketing

ronniet
April 3rd, 2007, 01:58 AM
Ok, just spent over an hour on IRC with the marketing team and here's the outcome ;

as previously speculated; we, the community, still control the magazine. The only thing the marketing are asking is that we pass it by them before release. The idea of passing it by the marketing before release is to ensure that the magazine looks and sounds professional. If anything is libelous or slanderous they will catch it and alert us to the fact. They will NOT dictate as to its contents nor censor articles.

In return for us working with the marketing, they will work with us in passing us news, articles and any other content they can.

By mid-April (pre-Feisty) we'll release issue #0, this will essentially be two articles that make up a Feisty Fawn Preview issue. I will write a History of Ubuntu and one of the marketing team is writing an extensive article on the new features in Feisty.

This gives you guys more time to work on articles, alerts people to Feisty and gets us out there for downloads come Feisty launch!

Articles... for collaboration what'll happen is that all articles will be sent to linuxgeekery who will put the articles up on the Ubuntu wiki. There the marketing and myself can edit the articles and the writers can too. Then when the article is done I grab it and put it into the layout. All the Scribus and Gimp files will go up on the wiki too, the reason being; if anyone drops out/vanishes then the files can be picked up and passed on to someone else.

When the issue is finalised - and we're all happy with it - the marketing team will take the pdf and spread it far and wide.

So we are now full circle - THE Ubuntu Community Magazine...

Thats the long and short of it. I have the full log of the meeting. If anyone wants it, feel free to drop me an email and i'll pass it along...

linuxgeekery
April 3rd, 2007, 02:46 AM
I'd like the full transcript if possible.

Also, everyone, fullcirclemagazine.org is officially up and running. Please go there, not openfish.info/drupal. I've set up a temporary redirect to the new website to give you guys time.

Also, during the website move, the database got a bit messed up. All of you that have registered for the website 18 hours or less before this post, your accounts are gone. Please re-register. Sorry for the inconvenience, but stuff happens. :)

ookooboontoo
April 3rd, 2007, 03:04 AM
I'd like the full transcript if possible.

Also, everyone, fullcirclemagazine.org is officially up and running. Please go there, not openfish.info/drupal. I've set up a temporary redirect to the new website to give you guys time.

Also, during the website move, the database got a bit messed up. All of you that have registered for the website 18 hours or less before this post, your accounts are gone. Please re-register. Sorry for the inconvenience, but stuff happens. :)
http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-marketing-current.html for tonight and http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-marketing-2007-04-03.html from tomorrow onwards
ps I put some favicons if you want one http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2391181&postcount=150

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
in the archive i saw something about translations. are we planning to translate the magazine in other languages than english or was it just a misunderstanding?

ronniet
April 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
in the archive i saw something about translations. are we planning to translate the magazine in other languages than english or was it just a misunderstanding?

I think the option is there for translations, yes. Not sure which languages though...

You guys have been really quiet now :) , are you all ok with what was said in the IRC chat?

linuxgeekery
April 3rd, 2007, 04:06 AM
I just made a badge you guys can use if you want. Put it in your signature or whatever your want to do.

el mariachi
April 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM
I think the option is there for translations, yes. Not sure which languages though...

You guys have been really quiet now :) , are you all ok with what was said in the IRC chat?

read it all, seems good to me. I also talked to adam for awhile and they seem to be as enthusiastic as we are:KS

just a quick question: for the first issue no articles made by us will feature on the magazine right? it will just be that feisty "special"? ;)

EDIT: linuxgeekery do we really have to re-register? I logged in just fine.

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
I had to re-register :(

Just lost all the coomments I made as well:(

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been working on a logo, it's still a work in progress, but let me know what you think. What should I add or remove?

el mariachi
April 3rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been working on a logo, it's still a work in progress, but let me know what you think. What should I add or remove?

humm sleek. but i dunno if people wouldn't prefer the other one, although it's a bit too cramped

but maybe this one is too simple. i like it though:)

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM

it's pretty cool dude. the colours are a bit too bright i think. the old logo - with the 'buntu logos - wasn't bad at all, but i personally kind of like your idea more. but maybe if the colours were a bit different. if you want you can mail me the svg or the gimp image (i asume you made it in one of these programs) and maybe i can help you make it look a bit better.
i think translation wouldn't be such a bad thing, but the effort required would be quite extensive. you know there are a lot of languages on this earth lol. maybe translating it into some common languages like french, german, dutch, spanish, italian and so on.

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
What colours do you think I should use?

If you give me some hexadecimal values for the colours you want, I can do it in a few minutes. I am not using inkscape or the gimp (which I realise now was a mistake, as I can't export as an SVG... I can however, export it at any size, without any problems as it uses vector graphics).

EDIT: BTW, I just went for 3 basic colours, just to get an idea of what it would look like

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
What colours do you think I should use?

well... i really don't know right now. i have to have the svg in front of me to get some ideas. tell you what. i'll try to make a simillar one in inkscape and post it here.

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think these colours look good together - What do you think?

EDIT: I think the blue needs to be slightly lighter?

richardjennings
April 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
I think it looks really good. Perfect even.

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

really good. the coulours are much better. i'm still working hehe. :P

el mariachi
April 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

EDIT: I think the blue needs to be slightly lighter?

I also think that. the blue stands out too much. other than that it's perfect :D nice job

guitarmaniac
April 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
sorry if I'm repeating anything (I havent read the entire thread).
If anyones read TuxMagazine you'll notice they had everything set to landscape. Its much easier to read on screen and looks much nicer for an ezine in my opinion (if it was on paper portrait is obviously a much better choice).
just thought id throw that out there :P

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Here it is slightly less bluey. Is this better?

EDIT:@@guitarmainiac - good idea. Would work better for most PCs I think. Especially ones with wide screens :) We would also be able to include more info.

EDIT2: Do we want text on the logo? I think it would be best without, to save re doing the graphics if we do a translation. It is no hassle for me, but for who ever is doing the emag, it could be a struggle.

Nolander
April 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
the new logo looks fine. But...
Why? the old one was fine. i even preferred the first one that Roonie did. with the penguin and blue and yellow. but if you guys wont to change i have no ojection. and is there a set date on the 1st release. or is it still just mid april.
the already growing popularity is huge. told a couple of pplz at TAFE and thay think it'll be a good read.

Nolander.

Edit: the title maybe in the middle

"Full
Circle"

Like that

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
If I am putting text in the middle, I need to know what font to use... Is there a 'full circle' font, or is there a font the magazine uses?

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
in case we were still using the mixed up 'buntu logo, i made a svg in inkscape. i watched the website and it's a horrible quality there.
i'll post two pngs and two inkscape svgs. you'll notice that the old logo has s gradient on it. :D

edit: the attached svg is an inkscape svg, not a plain one. it's the source-image for the logo, with the text attached, put here for anyone who wants to modify it. you won't be able to open it with a plain image viewer. if you just want to see how it looks, click on the thumbnail. :D

Nolander
April 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Not sure if there is a select font. i think some thing bold and round.

Nolander

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
If I am putting text in the middle, I need to know what font to use... Is there a 'full circle' font, or is there a font the magazine uses?
you can use the official ubuntu font:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing. scroll the page down and it should be somewhere around there.

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
The mixed up 'buntu logo looks a lot better now, I think one is needed without the tex though. In the other logo, the colours look a bit off. I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it just doesn't seem quite right.

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
The mixed up 'buntu logo looks a lot better now, I think one is needed without the tex though.
i'll put a svg in the archive without the text. and a normal svg not an inkscape one.

In the other logo, the colours look a bit off. I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it just doesn't seem quite right.

yes they are a bit strange. i got a little carried away. :D

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
I think we should go for the old one, with no text. It looks a lot better now.

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
I think we should go for the old one, with no text. It looks a lot better now.

maybe we can have two of them. sometimes with text and sometimes without text. what i'm curious is if people like the gradients. well, they need a little bit more work, but i think they give the logo a more complex look. :D

el mariachi
April 3rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
maybe we can have two of them. sometimes with text and sometimes without text. what i'm curious is if people like the gradients. well, they need a little bit more work, but i think they give the logo a more complex look. :D

the new-old logo (the mouse one lol) now looks real great! let's stick to this one shall we? :guitar:

about the text: can't we make two separate images? one for the logo itself and one for the caption. then, if we translate, we could change the caption accordingly.

btw: i can't open the mouse logo... it gives me some forum error...:confused:
for the front-cover logo with text
for anything else we could use the simple version (no caption)

the gradients are very cool!

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
the new-old logo (the mouse one lol) now looks real great! let's stick to this one shall we?
that's what i was thinking too. i'll just retouche it a bit. the gradients aren't placed just right, because i was in a hurry.

about the text: can't we make two separate images? one for the logo itself and one for the caption. then, if we translate, we could change the caption accordingly.

being in svg format we don't need a different image for the text, because it's very simple to edit with inkscape.

for the front-cover logo with text
for anything else we could use the simple version (no caption)

i agree that for anything else we should use the simple version with no caption,but for the front cover it may be a bit to simplistic. maybe in the first issue. but the next ones we could put screenshots of some apps from featured articles or something. screenshots of ubuntu or cool wallpapers. screenshots of people - if we take the interview of someone famous -like mark for instance lol.

btw: i can't open the mouse logo... it gives me some forum error...
:-k. weird. it should work because it's png. i'll try uploading it again.

el mariachi
April 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
I just took a peek at Tux magazine and I must say it's really great, and strangely all of our ideas are somewhat implemented quite well (the "forum-like" discussions, the news articles, how-to's and app reviews)

The paper orientation seems a good idea as someone stated before. But that's up to the editor. ;D

I'm already seeing myself interviewing mr Linus Trovalds with a badge saying "Full-Circle Magazine - PRESS" awwwwh xD

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
I'm already seeing myself interviewing mr Linus Trovalds with a badge saying "Full-Circle Magazine - PRESS" awwwwh xD
:lolflag:

lyceum
April 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
in case we were still using the mixed up 'buntu logo, i made a svg in inkscape. i watched the website and it's a horrible quality there.
i'll post two pngs and two inkscape svgs. you'll notice that the old logo has s gradient on it. :D

edit: the attached svg is an inkscape svg, not a plain one. it's the source-image for the logo, with the text attached, put here for anyone who wants to modify it. you won't be able to open it with a plain image viewer. if you just want to see how it looks, click on the thumbnail. :D

I really like the mixed 'buntu. The one with the text looks too much like the canonical logo to me.

ronniet
April 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
yeah I prefer the mixed 'buntu logo too (with the mouse) as it does symbolise all four main flavours of 'buntu which is exactly what the magazine is about.

I'll grab mykals gradient version of it for the cover and site... it looks nice :)

I've started the process of writing the History of Ubuntu so when i've got some readable text down i'll post it on the website for you guys to read.

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
I really like the mixed 'buntu. The one with the text looks too much like the canonical logo to me.
i wouldn't say that. or at least it doesn't look more like the canonical ubuntu logo than the one with no text.

btw. i took mrmonday's example and i've updated my avatar.:guitar:

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
I'll grab mykals gradient version of it for the cover and site... it looks nice
i'll have to edit it some more. there are minuscule things such as the placement of the object which don't algin perfectly and the gradients again. this logo is still usable, but tomorrow i'll post the final "perfected" version. today i don't have much time. i have to study.

I've started the process of writing the History of Ubuntu so when i've got some readable text down i'll post it on the website for you guys to read.
can't wait to read it :D

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
One of the suggested sections for the magazine was 'My Desktop'. I think I will write some sort of mini customisation guide, to say how I got to mine. Is ther any particular way I should do it?

Nolander
April 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Just thought of another section of the magazine. "Gaming".
Thought i would put it out there.

Nolander.

el mariachi
April 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Just thought of another section of the magazine. "Gaming".
Thought i would put it out there.

Nolander.

we could talk with Artificial Intelligence, he runs the UGA site :)

mrmonday
April 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
We could include the story made by ubunuters here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=384234&page=29), to show of how creative we are.....

Roelski
April 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'm very new to all this, so if you need a proof-reader, sign me up! If I can understand it, most others out there will too... :lolflag:

Use the "private message" tool if you need anything else from me (such as direct email address). If you want me to register straightaway on your website, please let me now too.

Let's get this started.

Roelski

richardjennings
April 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
here are a few suggestions;

A "making music with Ubuntu" article section or feature.

A "From Scratch" section aimed at tuoring someone completely new to Ubuntu through the course of the magasine towards a good level of competancy.

I think publishing as pdf is a very good idea, but what about also publishing each article as a blog entry? People could then comment on the articles - hopefully leading to some valuable input.

I have been following this thread since it started, I just wanted to make a few suggestions. I'l go back to lurking :P ...

Nolander
April 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
from scratch is a grate idea.
ppl can just email comments in and if there worth it thay'll probably b posted or published.

nolander.

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
i like the from scratch idea. i think we should spend some time thinking how we should do it. your thoughts? your elaborated thoughts that is :p

Nolander
April 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
start at installation
then package installation and basic use of terminal(source code compiling aswell)
then....

nolander

mykalreborn
April 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
start at installation
then package installation and basic use of terminal(source code compiling aswell)
then....

:-k. this one's going to be pretty hard. we can of course get some ideas from the ubuntu wiki. But rewrite it ourselves. It would be pretty cool to have this kind of article once a month. It would make readers stick to the mag.