PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Ubuntu, but not really

WalmartSniperLX
March 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hey everyone. I just got a new pc and decided to jouney off into other distros. I chose Fedora for this system so atm Im running in it. The only problem is that when I ordered the new pc, I forgot to order a CD/DVD ROM so I had to take it from my older pc (with Ubuntu on it). And, I only have one moniter. So for the mean time as I await employment, Im going to have to pack that pc away in my closet. So, for a while I'll be only running fedora. Ill still be visiting these forums on a regular basis and I plan to get my other pc running again in the near future.

Thanks everyone for being so selfless and sharing your knowledge with others (including myself). I hope to get my old pc back up and running with Ubuntu.

(btw I could dual boot but I really hate dual booting :P

ice60
March 28th, 2007, 08:12 PM
i stopped using ubuntu on my main computer about a year ago and still use these forums, it's too difficult to get installed with my hardware so i'm using suse instead.

as long as you don't need support it shouldn't really affect you too much i would have thought :)

WalmartSniperLX
March 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
i stopped using ubuntu on my main computer about a year ago and still use these forums, it's too difficult to get installed with my hardware so i'm using suse instead.

as long as you don't need support it shouldn't really affect you too much i would have thought :)

:) Thats how suse was with my other pc. Im guessing it didnt like the hardware. And when I had a laptop, only Suse and Xubuntu would work. I tried a few other distros and they either wouldnt install or the X would hang during booting the WM.

ice60
March 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
i have SATA discs with software RAID too, i'm not sure where ubuntu has problems, but i think once you get the hang of linux you can pretty much customise a distro to your liking.

no matter what i use all my distros end up being very similar so i don't mind too much not using ubuntu. the worst bit is not being able to follow the Tutorials & Tips part of the forum so closely as alot of them are pretty ubuntu specific with their debs and config settings.

prizrak
March 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Pick up a $20 KVM switch this way you can use both systems on the same monitor :)