PDA

View Full Version : MethLab: A Player Independent Music Library

OffHand
March 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM
The developer of Nicotine, which is now forked to Nicotine+, made a new application named MethLab. Check the first reply for details about MethLab.

First we will have to make sure we have all the dependencies. I think I have covered them here, but if I missed any let me know. (Source (http://methlab.thegraveyard.org/wiki/Dependencies))

dependencies: python2.5 python-ctypes, python- tagpy, libboost-python1.34.1, python-gtk, subversion

sudo aptitude install python2.5 python-ctypes python-tagpy libboost-python1.34.1 python-gtk subversion

Alright, now that we have all the dependencies covered we can download the svn source code... (Source (http://methlab.thegraveyard.org/wiki/MethLabFromSubversion))

Now we are going to download the svn repository.

svn co http://methlab.thegraveyard.org/svn/trunk methlab

Now we will have to navigate inside the directory.

cd methlab

And finally start up MethLab

./methlab

If you want to update your copy of MethLab, type:

cd methlab
svn update

OffHand
March 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM
About MethLab

What is it?

MethLab is a music library manager that allows you to perform queries on your music. It can also interface with various music players to play or enqueue the results of your query.

Goals

MethLab aims to provide:

* A clean and simple to understand (and to use) interface.
* A non-instrusive addition to the music player you're already using.

Supported platforms

MethLab is being developed on arch linux so that is the primary 'target'. However, there should be very little platform dependent code (exception being the audio player drivers). As long as you get the dependencies installed, MethLab will probably run. MethLab would run on windows if there was a useful audio player driver.

Supported players

Currently, MethLab supports a handful of players: XMMS, Beep, Audacious and MPD. The MPD audio player driver can only be used with the MPD database source.

Database sources

MethLab collects its data from a database source. Currently two database sources are included with MethLab: the filesystem source and the MPD source. The filesystem source uses a tagging library (tagpy or mutagen) to extract metadata tags from the files in your music library. The MPD source connects to the music player daemon and synchronizes MethLab's database with the MPD library. The MPD source only works with the MPD audio player driver.

OffHand
March 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
bump

OffHand
March 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
bump

OffHand
April 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
up

stokedfish
April 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Honestly, I'd prefer a better Museek.

But yeah, looks promising! ;)

OffHand
April 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Honestly, I'd prefer a better Museek.

But yeah, looks promising! ;)

:)

bump

banjobacon
April 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
There's probably little interest in this because most people who want a music library already use Amarok, Rhythmbox, Banshee, Exaile, Listen, or one of the other several player/library combinations.

OffHand
April 2nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
There's probably little interest in this because most people who want a music library already use Amarok, Rhythmbox, Banshee, Exaile, Listen, or one of the other several player/library combinations.

Yeah probably... it's a crazy idea. Nevertheless, I find this application great to find and play my music very quickly.

joeblow1102
April 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Just so you know, your efforts are not in vain. I'm currently using your program because Madman keeps crashing on me. I think this has a lot of potential and thanks for making a music library program!

Edit: I do have two small requests though. 1. can methlab remember which view i'm in. say i am in artists/albums view, and minimize methlab to tray, when i go to methlab again, it takes me to search options mode. 2. can the artists/albums view mode be more tree-like? instead of showing everything, can it just show artists, then when i click on the artist name, it shows me the albums.

OffHand
April 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Just so you know, your efforts are not in vain. I'm currently using your program because Madman keeps crashing on me. I think this has a lot of potential and thanks for making a music library program!

Edit: I do have two small requests though. 1. can methlab remember which view i'm in. say i am in artists/albums view, and minimize methlab to tray, when i go to methlab again, it takes me to search options mode. 2. can the artists/albums view mode be more tree-like? instead of showing everything, can it just show artists, then when i click on the artist name, it shows me the albums.

I am glad you like it :) I did not program it myself though: a friend of mine programmed it.
To request new features or improvements, please go to the following website and file a new ticket:

http://methlab.thegraveyard.org/

Cheers,

OffHand

zanglang
April 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Hmm, this is looking pretty interesting! Having used Sonata (Python mpd client) for a while, music management in these super minimalistic mpd clients always seemed a little lacking...

Will give it a spin and see how it turns out. Thanks. ;)

joeblow1102
April 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm actually not allowed to create a new ticket because I don't have access to the creation of a new ticket, probably because I'm not logged in. Also, I'm not allowed to create a new account, or I can't find where to do this.

OffHand
April 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I'm actually not allowed to create a new ticket because I don't have access to the creation of a new ticket, probably because I'm not logged in. Also, I'm not allowed to create a new account, or I can't find where to do this.

Click this link: http://methlab.thegraveyard.org/newticket

(you do not have to register to file a ticket)

Mateo
April 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM
does it minimize to the tray?

OffHand
April 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM
does it minimize to the tray?

Yes, it does.

darkhatter
April 9th, 2007, 09:56 PM
ever thought of name change :lolflag:

OffHand
April 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM

Well, he called his other application Nicotine. I wonder what will be next...

:guitar:

OffHand
April 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
bump... (don't forget to svn up regularly as ML is under construction all the time)

warp99
April 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM

I hate to say it, but if I said "I have Methlab" most likely I would get served with a search warrant. Remember I live in the meth capital of the world aka Des Moines, Iowa. :frown:

OffHand
April 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I hate to say it, but if I said "I have Methlab" most likely I would get served with a search warrant. Remember I live in the meth capital of the world aka Des Moines, Iowa. :frown:
Well, I see where you are coming from but I can't imagine you would use it totally out of the context.
You can always suggest a name change through a ticket though.

H.E. Pennypacker
April 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I'll check it out some other time, because I am currently using CrackLab. It fills my needs!

OffHand
April 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I'll check it out some other time, because I am currently using CrackLab. It fills my needs!

Use whatever floats your boat, I always say ;)

OffHand
April 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM
bump

OffHand
April 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Bump

Mateo
April 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM
yeah, i don't like it for the name also. same reason i don't like damn small linux. i wanted to install damn small linux on my mother's computer, but didn't because of the name.

OffHand
April 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Seriously... you guys need to relax a bit and do not take everything so seriously. It's just a joke...

hanzomon4
April 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
yeah, i don't like it for the name also. same reason i don't like damn small linux. i wanted to install damn small linux on my mother's computer, but didn't because of the name.

I'll never understand this think :confused:

Can Meth-Lab interface with music-players that have their own library(listen, exaile!, amarok) and does it work with video?

Mateo
April 16th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Seriously... you guys need to relax a bit and do not take everything so seriously. It's just a joke...

a "joke" that is costing you potential users. i personally don't think the "joke" is hilarious enough to justify having to explain to every person who uses my computer why I have a program called "methlab" installed.

OffHand
April 16th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'll never understand this think :confused:

Can Meth-Lab interface with music-players that have their own library(listen, exaile!, amarok) and does it work with video?

Currently, MethLab supports a handful of players: XMMS, XMMS2, Beep, Audacious and MPD. Methlab indexes music files only atm. As I am not the developer I don't know if it can be implemented or if he wants to implement it. Your best chance is to file a ticket on the website and ask for it.

http://methlab.thegraveyard.org/newticket

OffHand
April 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM
up

ABCC
April 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Having fun bumping and grinding OffHand?

OffHand
November 4th, 2007, 01:31 PM
For those that are using MethLab... if you have not updated for a while cd into your MethLab folder and run svn up

Hyriand commited some nice updates.

banda
January 28th, 2008, 03:22 PM
hey thanks to whoever created methlab.. i have been using it with audacious over the last few months, no problems whatsoever!

one small feature i would like added is the ability to adjust the column widths(right now it adjusts itself according to the content).. and maybe a borderless ui??

OffHand
January 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
hey thanks to whoever created methlab.. i have been using it with audacious over the last few months, no problems whatsoever!

one small feature i would like added is the ability to adjust the column widths(right now it adjusts itself according to the content).. and maybe a borderless ui??

For a feature request you will have to file a ticket. This is the MethLab website: http://methlab.thegraveyard.org/

MethLab is not actively in development right now but the guy who wrote it might do it anyways.

00l0
July 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
hey i'm interested in methlab,
i run methlab, i scan all my music library, but when i click on enqueue a certain song/album, i get this error message:

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.atheme.audacious was not provided by any .service files

what am i missing?

thank you!

OffHand
July 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
hey i'm interested in methlab,
i run methlab, i scan all my music library, but when i click on enqueue a certain song/album, i get this error message:

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.atheme.audacious was not provided by any .service files

what am i missing?

thank you!

Did you install all the dependencies? Is Audacious already running when you queue the songs? Which version of Audacious are you running?

P.S. You can also try the xmmsalike driver instead of Audacious dbus.

JoZ3
September 14th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Any new alternative?