PDA

View Full Version : More Ubuntu IRC Channels?

plb
March 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
As in less generic help channels. For instance:

#ubuntu-multimedia
#ubuntu-server

just to name a few examples. The only reason I say this is because #ubuntu is so large that when you ask a question it's usually lost in a matter of seconds. So what do you think?

Digg this! http://digg.com/linux_unix/More_Ubuntu_IRC_Help_Channels

EdThaSlayer
March 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Also an #ubuntu-chat would be nice for the chatty people.

macogw
March 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I got lost asking questions in #ubuntu last summer. With the way this community grows, I can't imagine what it's like now. I get better help in #ubuntuforums when I need it, but #ubuntu-effects was more useful for getting Compiz working, so having sections for each thing could make it easier to get an answer

Ed, there's #ubuntu-offtopic for that

Zuuswa
March 28th, 2007, 07:17 PM
also #ubuntu-forums is another place for random chatter. I also agree, however, we need more ubuntu help channels. Having over 1000 people in one irc channel is rediculous. I think a #ubuntu-networking channel and a #ubuntu-server channel would be a good start.

plb
March 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM
#ubuntu-office is another possible one.

maxamillion
March 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Also an #ubuntu-chat would be nice for the chatty people.

#ubuntu-offtopic is the place for those you are chatty :)

plb
March 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I got lost asking questions in #ubuntu last summer. With the way this community grows, I can't imagine what it's like now. I get better help in #ubuntuforums when I need it, but #ubuntu-effects was more useful for getting Compiz working, so having sections for each thing could make it easier to get an answer

Ed, there's #ubuntu-offtopic for that

I was there yesterday and there was almost 1300 people in there.

AndyCooll
March 28th, 2007, 08:11 PM
When I looked at the title of your thread my initial thought was it was a bad idea. However, reading your thread and having been on #ubuntu myself from time to time, you make a very good point and your idea suddenly becomes a good one.

You are right in saying pointing out that in #ubuntu your questions are soon lost.

You'd think #ubuntuforums would be a decent alternative, however my experience of that channel is that it is merely somewhere for idle chatter. I've never really considered it a mirror to these forums. Having said that, I believe the stated purpose of #ubuntuforums always was for idle chatter anyway.

So yeah, more specific help channels would be great.

:cool: