PDA

View Full Version : Mathematics

trevorv
March 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I'm off to learn Computer Science at university soon, and although it doesn't seem very necessary, I'd like to enhance my mathematical ability first.

I was wondering if anyone here are mathematicians, and if you could suggest some good introductory material to pure mathematics. I've got a decent GCSE, but never pursued the subject at A Level, so that's where I am.

The main book I was looking at at the moment is Understanding Pure Mathematics by A.J. Sadler and D.W.S. Thorning -- any idea if this is a good one?

cunawarit
March 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Try this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-5th-Programmes-Problems/dp/0333919394

I SWEAR by that book!!!!

It is a good idea to get some maths skills, I did mathematics and computer science as a joint degree and the maths side of things will be very useful in the future for you.

slimdog360
March 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Email the uni and ask the faculty what the text book is that they use for the courses you want to take. Also ask for a course outline for the maths course/s, that way you know what to look at.

ComplexNumber
March 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm off to learn Computer Science at university soon, and although it doesn't seem very necessary, I'd like to enhance my mathematical ability first.

I was wondering if anyone here are mathematicians, and if you could suggest some good introductory material to pure mathematics. I've got a decent GCSE, but never pursued the subject at A Level, so that's where I am.

The main book I was looking at at the moment is Understanding Pure Mathematics by A.J. Sadler and D.W.S. Thorning -- any idea if this is a good one?

i did maths at uni and one of my best mates did computer science. he was a self-admitted dunce at maths, but he got a good grade for his degree. i think that you're wasting your time studying a pure maths book for a computer science degree.