PDA

View Full Version : My Thinkpad....

Aetherius
March 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Recently got myself a little Thinkpad R60e, and last night I installed Feisty Beta on it, and I'm incredibly impressed. EVERYTHING WORKS OUT OF THE BOX.

Was running feisty from herd 2 on my desktop but it got neglected and was never updated, so I was out of the loop as all the fantastic improvements came to be.

Wireless Roaming (with WPA!!!) OUT OF THE BOX
(Broadcomm!!) Bluetooth OUT OF THE BOX
All the special little function keys (hibernate, sleep, lock screen) fully functional OUT OF THE BOX
And the most impressive point: Desktop-Effects only a single click away. God bless my GMA 950

One thing I really liked was immediately after I installed and booted Feisty, a little pop up in the notification area informed me that I was using a restricted driver for the wireless and asked me if i was ok with this, giving me the option to remove the closed driver.

Oh dear Ubuntu, how considerate you are!

Also....The version of Windows XP that came on the Thinkpad had a -modified- EULA, the wording changed so that I wasn't nescessarily entitled to a refund!

If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, you may not use or
copy the SOFTWARE, and you should promptly contact Manufacturer
for instructions on return of the unused product(s) in accordance
with Manufacturer's return policies.

as opposed to the original....

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT; YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND.

grrrrr ](*,)

troymcdavis
March 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I've got one as well, and I've always liked it. It's a nifty little machine. Pretty much everything worked out of the box for me as well.

By the way, do you know which wireless card you've got in yours? I know that there are at least three floating around in this model of computer. If mine will work in Fiesty, I might just go ahead and upgrade. It'll be like Christmas in March. :-D

Aetherius
March 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM
The wireless is..... (drumroll)

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

I just have to reiterate the fact that I love feisty, :D

warpedreality
May 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I have a Thinkpad T60p and I'm trying Feisty on it..

How do you find out if Bluetooth works out of the box.. find with a phone or something? .. also can you please give me a few pointers on where to get started with..regarding Bluetooth... plz?

ThinkBuntu
May 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM
ThinkPads are extremely Linux-friendly. Too bad you have one with the Windows key on it...I think that when production switched over to Lenovo, they found a cheaper keyboard manufacturer that insisted on including the key. Or, they said "well, you'll get this key too" and the dummies at Lenovo thought "well, if it's free!"

My T41 works flawlessly with most "ease-of-use" distros, and I've never run into any graphics, sound, or other basic troubles with any distro. Wireless, with the Atheros card, is the only thing that at times doesn't work flawlessly. Of course, this gives me a very skewed perspective into Linux, as every distribution seems to have superb hardware recognition :^)