PDA

View Full Version : Changing Avatars Request

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Dear Ubuntu Forum Users,

I make a request that people who are always on this forum and post many posts try and keep their avatars the same or similar in concept; most do and I can recognise asiu as an orange thingy ma bob anywhere.

Two more requests: that the penguin that animates not be used and that Fucia changes hers from what ever evil blood sucking human shaped monster thats giving me horrible avatar induced psychosis.

Best Regards, DoctorMO (the cute baby penguin fae in various settings)

Polygon
March 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM
i try not to change my avatar that much, but i agree i look at avatars first before i look at usernames, and i recognize a lot of people by their avatar alone.

aysiu
March 28th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I don't even look at avatars any more. I've turned them off. I've also turned off signatures and adblocked most of the forum images (smilies, new thread icons, forum backgrounds, etc.)

I go strictly off usernames for recognition.

I still think DoctorMO has a good point, though.

Polygon
March 28th, 2007, 05:41 AM
so is the forum just text for you asyiu? and why do you block all of that (smileys i can understand) but i would hate looking at just a plain white backround with text ..... the fourm layout is nice

aysiu
March 28th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I find all those images distracting. Maybe that's just me...

RAV TUX
March 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I find all those images distracting. Maybe that's just me...

aysui I often go through periods where I turn off all avatars and smileys, and images....this is the beauty of each members users CP is you have the freedom to define your ubuntuforums.org experience

I like avatars fine but I never see them when I use the Lynx Browser.....my browser of choice lately

Honestly if you don't like avatars or smileys just set up your user CP accordingly like aysui does....or just use the Lynx Browser

see the screenshot attached

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Ah no you mistake my intent, I like avatars, I like my avatar but I tend to then look out for images instead of names. Polygon is a perfect example, he changed his avatar and for over a month I thought I was replying to someone else.

RAV TUX, the second request applies to you that you with respect decommission or replace your current avatar with something that doesn't move all the time; it seems to be timed and designed to interfere with my cortex routing.

Polygon
March 28th, 2007, 06:49 AM
yeah i did change mine, i just got bored of that guy since i had been using him for well over a year, ill stick with my current one for a long time dont worry =P

and i thought you couldent have animated avatars anymore... unless he has "connections" =P

RAV TUX
March 28th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I believe that there are quite a few animated avatars that were grandfathered in here on ubuntuforums.org if you are going to petition for change then it should be for all members, old and new.

Although I don't agree with it, I think of the 262, 724 members there is proably about a dozen or so members who were grandfathered in or who may have volunteered as a former mod like myself giving hundreds of hours freely volunteering for Ubuntu and this community

for most foundations when they utilize volunteers without pay or compensation, sometimes a a memento is a nice Thank you token.

Also, you could use Adblock Plus in the Firefox Browser and block any image.

If you haven't used Firefox before here is the link:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

and the Adblock Plus link is here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

If you haven't tried Firefox yet you really should, the Adblock Plus add-on is awesome!

or have some real fun and use the Lynx Browser....

Scarlett
March 28th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I agree that the weird blood sucking human-thing is quite disturbing. I noticed that way before I connected a name to it.

Asiu's av is very soothing and distinctive. I always feel better when I see the kitty.

One of these days I'm going to decide that I post here often enough to warrant putting the time into getting an av. I'm heavily leaning toward Opus from Bloom County with that silly fruit hat but I haven't found any good pics yet.

Henry Rayker
March 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I agreed with the animation thing...the animation just got on my nerves...but I adblocked it, so no worries.

While I do think it is unfair that the animated avatar rule doesn't appear to apply to everyone, I guess you could argue the former mod position...however, other helpful members of the community could argue that they have devoted large amounts of time to helping out without even being distinguished as being a mod, so why can't they have the animated avatar too? I thought the whole reason the animation was denied in the first place was due to the fact that the animation is distracting and overall unprofessional in appearance....

When dealing with inequalities, it's really hard to know where to draw the line; I prefer to try to minimize them as much as I possibly can.

johnc4510
March 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM
RAV TUX, did you turn off your avatar?

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 07:27 AM
RAV TUX - Your reward is the gratitude, personal favour and good name you have with the ubuntu forum community. not an animated avatar. I find it unfair that I must either seek out every animated avatar and block it or that I should have to stop all animated gifs completely.

So far your solutions have been heavy handed and you persist in trying to blame your avitars effects on me. as if I'm to blame that it's so distracting, this isn't meant as a personal attack but I find it quite an annoying existence and I know you have some really nice avatars which don't move which would be good.

Thanks Polygon.

Spr0k3t
March 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I also find avatars have a persona about them. If I ever change my own, it will only be very slight changes, or a modification to the avatar to reflect an overall tone or style to blend better with the site. So if you see a glossy marble looking smiley, more often than not, it's me.

I thought about starting my own avatar doodles like what Google does for holidays. Since I always create my own avatar, it wouldn't be hard to do.

RAV TUX
March 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM
RAV TUX - Your reward is the gratitude, personal favour and good name you have with the ubuntu forum community. not an animated avatar. I find it unfair that I must either seek out every animated avatar and block it or that I should have to stop all animated gifs completely.

So far your solutions have been heavy handed and you persist in trying to blame your avitars effects on me. as if I'm to blame that it's so distracting, this isn't meant as a personal attack but I find it quite an annoying existence and I know you have some really nice avatars which don't move which would be good.

Thanks Polygon.

Doc I agree with you and I have changed my avatar to the last still image avatar that represents a higher purpose then individuality and helps to bring awareness to the humanitarian mission of HRC. (http://hrc.org/)

see the thread in reference to this avatar here:

Change your avatar, Show your support for HRC.org, use the HRC emblem (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=351480)

kostkon
March 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Dear Ubuntu Forum Users,

I make a request that people who are always on this forum and post many posts try and keep their avatars the same or similar in concept; most do and I can recognise asiu as an orange thingy ma bob anywhere.

Two more requests: that the penguin that animates not be used and that Fucia changes hers from what ever evil blood sucking human shaped monster thats giving me horrible avatar induced psychosis.

I agree. It much easier for me to see who posted what when I scroll down the pages of a thread.

Now about the animated avatars. Yes, they are a bit distracting but we don't need to make such a big matter about them. Why create negative things and words here in this forum for such a small unimportant thing like an avatar; it does not deserve all this fuss...

Peace...:)

kevinf311
March 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM
My avatar and my screen name are fairly similar.

"Oh its that Kevin guy who likes 311"

or

"Oh it's that 311 avatar that Kevin has"

Rav only had the animated penguin one for a short while right before he stepped down, and Fuscias new avatar is a recent (forced) change too.

If you identify better with avatars wouldn't it seem more logical to request that everyone have more unique avatars? If any should be changed it's the Tux Factory (http://tux.crystalxp.net/index.php) ones that are mostly built off of one template. Although I kinda like those and have one as my Jabber buddy pic :)

graabein
March 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
One of these days I'm going to decide that I post here often enough to warrant putting the time into getting an av. I'm heavily leaning toward Opus from Bloom County with that silly fruit hat but I haven't found any good pics yet.

Or just put up a picture of Scarlett Johansson? Or that guy with the moustache in Gone with the Wind?

steven8
March 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Dear Ubuntu Forum Users,

I've been wondering who started the fuss that wound up making fuscia change his avatar. Now I know. I will make a point of changing my avatar the first and fifteenth of each month, thank you.

thought I'd get a head start. . .

DougieFresh4U
March 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Now about the animated avatars. Yes, they are a bit distracting but we don't need to make such a big matter about them. Why create negative things and words here in this forum for such a small unimportant thing like an avatar; it does not deserve all this fuss...

Peace...:)
Exactly, sounds like a lot of cry baby crap to me :lolflag:

PatrickMay16
March 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM
DOCTORMO, If I change my avatar to a smaller version of this image, would it be OK with you?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/dusthillguy/monsqz_backgron.png

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
PatrickMay16, you point out a good point; there isn't an arbitrator of avatars in style, form, function or anything. I'm not sure where social identity and the propensity for people to relate to fellow community members to appear to don a new skin every so often. but I'm asking as a fellow that as rough guide to not confuse not literature centric people by keeping your identity in your image similar. you don't have to listen to me obviously.

mips
March 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
What I find disturbing is this request. People wanting to impose their will on others.

Just for this I will now change my avatar every day, week, month or year. Whatever pleases me.

Talk about tolerance :rolleyes:

Maybe we should just ban avatars alltogether as inviduality seems to be a bad thing.

We are the Borg, assimilation is inevitable....

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
People wanting to impose their will on others.

Sir you mistake my wish for an imposition; when even the title says it's a request.

If a peer of a community can not make polite requests and prompt a discussion on the matters at hand without being condemned for 'imposing their will on others' or 'cry baby crap' then I fear we have leaped into an echo society that only ever wants to hear it's own voice.

Instead of arguing against my position you seek to undermine my ability to speak out, almost pointing out how ridiculous I must be for asking for something from others.

You can take of leave my request, but do so on the arguments.

Besides this issue is minor and it should point out how happy I am with the whole community, it is both vibrant, tolerant (mostly) and willing to reason. and the fact that my only complaint is about avatars bodes well for it's health.

aysiu
March 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm with DoctorMO on this. You're overreacting mips.

There isn't any imposition here. DoctorMO has expressed an opinion, made a request.

Imposition would be the forum staff forcing you to never change your avatar or vary it too greatly.

spinflick
March 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
This is silly. I have only just finished reading a thread asking people to change their avatars? yeah like Im going to take notice of either :lolflag:

aysiu
March 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM
You just took notice by replying and reading...

dbbolton
March 28th, 2007, 09:39 PM
What I find disturbing is this request. People wanting to impose their will on others.

agreed.

aysiu
March 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
agreed.
Not agreed (by me).

It is absolutely outrageous that people change their avatars frequently (and to other ones completely unrelated. This should not be allowed to continue, and those who do continue this practice should be banned. I'm going to draft up a proposal to get rid of these scroundrels. I'll bring the proposal to Ubuntu-Geek, to the Forum Council, to any sane person who'll listen. Avatars must not change!
Dear Ubuntu Forum Users,

Best Regards, DoctorMO (the cute baby penguin fae in various settings) Evil DoctorMO is imposing his will. Real DoctorMO is not.

Erik Trybom
March 28th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I keep GIF animation turned off in my browser. Most of them are crap anyway (smileys, avatars or ads). Images is a nice part of a web page but animations just smell like 1997.

spinflick
March 28th, 2007, 09:53 PM
1997 a good year for the roses.

dbbolton
March 28th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Not agreed (by me).

i will agree to differ: to each, his/her own.

it's a nice idea, and i don't think such a suggestion is out-of-line. nevertheless, i believe that if a person wants to change his/her avatar, that person's will should not be influenced by such a suggestion. i think such a decision should be left to the individual in queston. to each, his/her own.

i could be a contemptible individual, and say something like "i will change my av win i want 2 u fascists!!11!!!" (i could, but would not.) but that would tread on others who feel that this is a good idea. to each, his/her own.

aysiu
March 28th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I think we are in agreement then, dbbolton.

DoctorMO threw out an idea.

The idea exists. It's out there.

But if people want to disregard it, they should be free to disregard the idea. And if people think the idea has merit, they can comply with it.

Dual Cortex
March 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Too many conflicts on this!
I took this as a humurous statement on the confusion that occurs when someone who YOU distinguish from their avatar CHANGES his/her avatar. It's happened to me a few times, but it's not like users here change their avatars daily, or weekly... or even monthly.

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM
it's a nice idea, and i don't think such a suggestion is out-of-line. nevertheless, i believe that if a person wants to change his/her avatar, that person's will should not be influenced by such a suggestion. i think such a decision should be left to the individual in queston. to each, his/her own.

A bit of solarism mentality perhaps; regardless of how your mind views the world your living in one that contains other people, not a cave in Iceland. and is it not the case that the online world is a social venue and also not some virtual "second life" cave where you sit alone contemplating how nice your wibbly wobbly psychedelic avatar is to yourself. As such I call only upon people that have a more social mentality to be mindful that the choices they make effect others around them. Nothing about what I'm saying should force anyone to do anything, only consider and ponder others once in a while.

Evil DoctorMO is imposing his will. Real DoctorMO is not.

Thanks for the posts :-) I laughed at Evil DoctorMO.

dbbolton
March 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
A bit of solarism mentality perhaps; regardless of how your mind views the world your living in one that contains other people, not a cave in Iceland. and is it not the case that the online world is a social venue and also not some virtual "second life" cave where you sit alone contemplating how nice your wibbly wobbly psychedelic avatar is to yourself. As such I call only upon people that have a more social mentality to be mindful that the choices they make effect others around them. Nothing about what I'm saying should force anyone to do anything, only consider and ponder others once in a while.

maybe you missed the first line in what you quoted from me, the one stating that this is a nice idea.

is it not the case that the online world is a social venue and also not some virtual "second life" cave where you sit alone...is it not the case that this online world is not a place where you can expect everyone to fall in line behind your ideas? i thought this forum was about computer software. apparently, it's really about compensating for a lack of control in our own lives.

your wibbly wobbly psychedelic avatar...somewhere, André Breton is glad to be dead.

people that have a more social mentality...if you can't accept that other people might have opinions differing from yours, then you are not one of the select few upon which you have called.

only consider and ponder others once in a while...did you take a moment to ponder what other people might think, or were you too absorbed in your own whim?

i would like to ask everyone whom i know in "real life" never to change clothes, get a new haircut, or put on make-up. you see, in real life, there's no username by these people. i need their visages to be static because that would be more convenient for me.

Lord Illidan
March 28th, 2007, 10:54 PM
So how many people identify me by my avatar here?

spinflick
March 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Never heard of you or seen your avatar before, have you been away for a few months? :p

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Lord Fire Dragon is how my mind see it.

if you can't accept that other people might have opinions differing from yours, then you are not one of the select few upon which you have called.

If they have differing opinions on the subject then they can and will ignore my ravings. a difference of opinion on weather it is right to express ones wishes in the forum is a subject for another thread don't you think? I have no objection to people ignoring me, but I can't but help feel worried by people putting me down for asking.

dbbolton
March 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I can't but help feel worried by people putting me down for asking.

so, your natural reaction is to put me down. the last time i checked, the golden rule was "treat others as you want to be treated," not "treat others like they treat you."

if you actually feel that i tried to put you down, then you have my sincere apology. i meant only to express my opinion, not to offend anyone. i'm sorry.

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 11:07 PM
No I think we just got our wires crossed, I must have miss-quoted you and read things wrong. May I also offer my apologies for this misunderstanding.

Stew2
March 29th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Actually DoctorMO, I agree with you on this one. I usually associate a poster with their avatar and when the avatars are changed it takes me a little while to associate the new avatar with the familiar name. Seems your request/idea was taken the wrong way by a few people though. Everyone interpets things differently. Makes life interesting huh? :) I brought back my old G-Nome avatar because he was my first avatar on the forums and I always liked him the best.

Don't worry, be happy!

Regards,
Stew2

yabbadabbadont
March 29th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I think the reactions might have been influenced by the recent rucus about fuscia's old avatar. Anyway, without visual and verbal cues, it is very easy to misinterpret what another has posted.

RAV TUX
March 29th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Sir you mistake my wish for an imposition; when even the title says it's a request.

If a peer of a community can not make polite requests and prompt a discussion on the matters at hand without being condemned for 'imposing their will on others' or 'cry baby crap' then I fear we have leaped into an echo society that only ever wants to hear it's own voice.

Instead of arguing against my position you seek to undermine my ability to speak out, almost pointing out how ridiculous I must be for asking for something from others.

You can take of leave my request, but do so on the arguments.

Besides this issue is minor and it should point out how happy I am with the whole community, it is both vibrant, tolerant (mostly) and willing to reason. and the fact that my only complaint is about avatars bodes well for it's health.

Doc could you please change your avatar.

I do, but I also look forward to when members change their avatars, seeing the same avatar day after day, just breeds boredom and stagnation. Perhaps it should be required that users change their avatars weekly or monthly. Seeing the same avatar; still image or animated, is just bad for our overall health and well being.

%hMa@?b<C
March 29th, 2007, 01:29 AM
would anyone be mad if I changed mine, am I part of the "known by the avitar group"?

Dual Cortex
March 29th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I think the reactions might have been influenced by the recent rucus about fuscia's old avatar. Anyway, without visual and verbal cues, it is very easy to misinterpret what another has posted.

=D> yabba got an avatar!

would anyone be mad if I changed mine, am I part of the "known by the avitar group"?

Yeah. I still remember it since about 3 months ago, when I stopped visiting the forums frequently.
How about me?

DoctorMO
March 29th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Doc could you please change your avatar.

Please sight reasons and I will put it under consideration.

I do, but I also look forward to when members change their avatars, seeing the same avatar day after day, just breeds boredom and stagnation. Perhaps it should be required that users change their avatars weekly or monthly. Seeing the same avatar; still image or animated, is just bad for our overall health and well being.

You could only ask for it; not require it because that would be putting your will on others. but as you will notice I change my avartar ever 2 months or so to another variation of the pengiun fae image; perhaps next month I'll give it an easter egg and bunny ears.

kevinf311
March 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM
What if I only change my avatar to other 311 ones? I have a whole bunch of them. I usually don't change things because it requires me to, well, do something, but I could probably go for a rotation of 311 avatars.

Hmmm, yes, I rather like this idea.

@Yabba: Love the avatar! Dead Like Me was an awesome show! I have both of the seasons on DVD.