PDA

View Full Version : -It's party time! - So, umm, where's the music?

maed
March 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure wheter it's the place where I should post and probably there are thousands of boards more suitable for my request, but since I don't know any of these (and the forums I browse on daily basis didn't help me a lot) I'll give it a try.

It's basically about the most frequent problem with partying: the music. Especially if it's a house party. It's really hard to find a bunch of friends that listen to the very same genre and even then, the music you actually enjoy mayn't be suitable for partying. Dancing to Doors' "The End" turns out to be very difficult (and by dancing I actually mean dancing, not the way the solist moves his microphone or jumps around the stage): you're either sober and can't adjust to it and think it's really not the way it should be, or you are completely drunk and *think* that you get the beat and do it right, but you're missing the fact you're lying on the floor half the time and you put most of your effort in getting up. So, you end up listening to the radio, allowing others to bring their CD/MC/LP/mp3s. And that's the second problem. People really willing to take their records (or even taking their records without being asked) are probably the ones that have *strong* music taste. Ouch. Imagine a party - people are slightly stunned, everyone is happy, it's time for dancing. Someone even tries doing the pole dance using the valet... and then someone puts on the Necromantix / Rancid / Cradle of Filth / Atari Teenage Riot / sung poetry record.
-F****! What, why! Why?
-Aww, sorry for not enjoying listening to 10mp3 on loop.

(here comes a boring paragraph about how I managed to lose the first "omg it's so kitsch it's actually great" cd, feel free to omit that one)
Last summer I managed to compile a great mp3 cd from the ones we've found at my friend's house - i.e. "that's what i call music!" and lots of others compilations I won't mention beacause of them being limited to polish / german market. Our rigorous three-person jury picked the ones that seemed to be most appropriate. Everyone loved that one! The party was great, people were dancing all the time even though there was a hot grill (HUGE hot grill with a HUGE, HOT & HEAVY cooking grid). Most of them remembered that the party was awesome and "teh music roxxxed!!!!", and even those with burns (happily, not heavy ones) didn't complain. The one thing was, that when I managed to wake up, the CD was gone. Since me and my friends were leaving the town in order to move to university, none of us cared much about the cd. We all thought it's easily replaceable and so on. What a mistake. I forgot that all of the files were on my brother's PC (Win XP user, who doesn't have a clue how to work safe and loves gaming) which *strangely* got formatted twice since then. It wouldn't be a problem if he had his disk divided into several partitions... and now I'm in desperate need for a good setlist for a party.
(/paragraph that might be omitted)

Now it turns out, that my friends either have little interest in music or have strong taste. Oh, maybe they don't, maybe it's just satan whispering in their ear "Take the Jacek Kaczmarski (sung poetry) CD, they'll love it!". With all respect to Jacek Kaczmarski, I think he's not the best choice for a party, unless it's a meeting for drunken humanists willing to drink & talk about "all the things those idiots that are unlike us don't talk about" till they drop dead.

In connection with the above, I'd want to ask you for the songs you think may be suitable for partying. The problem is, I have no need for songs that are (relatively) new. We seem to have greater distance to things that are older (unless they have an emotional value) and people are quicker to shout "my, I hate it! turn it off, NOW!" when a '07 song comes on the radio than the one they remember from their childhood.

Here's the list I wrote so far - the farther you live from CE, the more you won't know, but I still think some of you may help me.

Appollo 440 - Stop the Rock
Art Company - Suzanna
Ace of Base - Coco Jamboo
Alexia - Uh La La La
Alice Cooper - Poison
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Beatles - Twist and shout
Bob Marley - Sunshine Reggae
Boney M - Daddy Cool
Boney M - Ma Baker
Boney M - Rivers of Babylon
Boney M - Suns of Jamaica
Bonnie Tyler - I Need a Hero
Captain Jack - Captain Jack
Captain Jack - In The Navy
Chuck Berry - Let's Twist Again
Cuba - Cuba
Culture Club - Do you really want to hurt me
D-BOMB - Ręce do góry
Europe - The Final Countdown
Franek Kimono - King Bruce Lee Karate Mistrz
Fun Factory - Celebration
Fun Factory - I wanna be with you
Gloria Gaynor - I will survive
Haddaway - What is love
Inner Circle - Bad boys
James Brown - I Feel Good
Jimi Hendrix - Wild thing
Just 5 - kolorowe sny
Loft - Mallorca
Loona - Bailando
Los del rios - Macarena
Mr. President - Give a little love
Mr. Vegas - Pull up
Opus - Life is life
Piersi - Zośka
Roxette - How Do You Do
Roxette - Real sugar
Ruki vVerh - Ai Yai Yai
Richie Valens - La Bamba
Scatman John - Scatman
Spin Doctors - Two Princes
The Pointer Sisters - Jump (For My Love)
Tom Jones - Sex Bomb
Tymon - Bialy mis
Vengaboys - Boom boom boom
Wham! - Wake me up before you go goI think that Bee Gees would fit in nicely too (ie Stayin' Alive). Don't be confused by the mixture of kitsch and 'classics' - trust me, it's the way it works. I'd be thankful for any feedback given. :)
And finally, I'm sorry for my bad English.:-s

mips
March 27th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Nicely laid out paragraphs & sentence structure. Makes my eyes hurt.

maed
March 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Fixed (with a little help (; ) the first one. The latter still remains unsolved due to my lack of fluency.
I'm truly sorry for your eyes.

milehigh
March 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
The Standells - Dirty Water
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Takin' Care Of Business
Jane Weidlin - Blue Kiss
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Dancing In The Street
Three Dog Night - Joy To The World
Wilson Pickett - In The Midnight Hour
Archie Bell & The Drells - Tighten Up
Billy Barrix - Cool Off Baby
Poi Dog Pondering - Living With The Dreaming Body
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary
The Indulgers - Julia
Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
Ray Charles - What'd I Say, Parts I and II
The Band - Rag Mama Rag (the live version, from Rock of Ages)
Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
The Beach Boys - Help Me, Rhonda
Sly & The Family Stone - Dance To The Music
Ringo Starr - You're Sixteen
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
Loggins & Messina - Your Momma Don't Dance
:guitar:

slimdog360
March 28th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Something from U2