PDA

View Full Version : You've used Linux a long time when....

plb
March 26th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I first tried it...

netscape was the best browser available, blackbox was the "cool" thing and enlightenment was only for high-end systems.

*Someone on this board must surely be able to beat that* BTW, I started using Linux in 1999.

Lord Illidan
March 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Hmm...when I couldn't install Amarok because it needed KDE 3.2 :)

plb
March 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I still remember when Firefox was 0.1....I ran it in Linux compat mode in FreeBSD lol

JLB
March 26th, 2007, 11:21 PM
You've used Linux a long time when....

You open a terminal in Windows and type *nix commands.(then go Duh!.... I'm on the braindead OS)

JLB
March 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM

All you needed was the Slackware A,D,N & X* disk sets

koenn
March 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM

you remember setup instructions going "on DOS/Windows, you can use rawrite to create the boot floppies ..."

Dual Cortex
March 27th, 2007, 12:07 AM
When you press the Num Lock button too many times.
I had never touched the num lock button til I converted to Linux.

(This one was more of a "you've used Linux for at least a month when..."

macogw
March 27th, 2007, 12:40 AM
hmm not me, but my boyfriend...

When you had to save up for 40 floppy disks, mail them to the other side of the continent, get them mailed back with Linux install files, then spend all day loading the floppies. Once you finished that, you had to write your own video driver because pretty much nothing was supported, and in the process a few monitors blew up.

(1991 or 1992)

TuxPeng
March 27th, 2007, 01:03 AM
hmm not me, but my boyfriend...

When you had to save up for 40 floppy disks, mail them to the other side of the continent, get them mailed back with Linux install files, then spend all day loading the floppies. Once you finished that, you had to write your own video driver because pretty much nothing was supported, and in the process a few monitors blew up.

(1991 or 1992)

OMG that is along time
You know you've used linux a long time when you start typing sudo in the windows run box to launch a program lol:lolflag:

sonny
March 27th, 2007, 02:00 AM

You select some text then you do a two-button-click in an other program, then you realised you are in Windows.

You've used Gnome a long time when....

You are used to drag'n'drop pretty much everything in your way.

%hMa@?b<C
March 27th, 2007, 02:11 AM
you have whited out your "windows logo" keys

Arisna
March 27th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I'm guilty of typing "ls" in Windows/DOS command shells. For some reason, though, I tried to compensate by using "dir" in Cygwin. :confused:

macogw
March 27th, 2007, 03:55 AM

You select some text then you do a two-button-click in an other program, then you realised you are in Windows.
Heh, I do that all the time. I miss the two-button-paste when I'm stuck in Windows.

dannybunkins
March 27th, 2007, 04:01 AM
When you press the Num Lock button too many times.
I had never touched the num lock button til I converted to Linux.

(This one was more of a "you've used Linux for at least a month when..."

So True!!!

jtibau
March 27th, 2007, 06:24 AM
... in Windows you hold the alt key, and try to drag a windows by clicking on anywhere but the title bar. Happens all the time lol

riven0
March 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Alright, I've done that way too many times. :lol:

v8YKxgHe
March 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM
When you browse Gnome-Look for a while, find a nice GTK2 or Metacity theme, you download it... only to be reminded you're on Windows.

RandomJoe
March 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I had to wait to get a new set of Slackware floppies until I could get up to a friend's dorm at college and make them there. (The closest decent-speed connection.) Back home 1 1/2 hours away, to find one disk in the middle was bad... ARGH! Somewhere in the '95 range, even one floppy on dialup was a right PITA...

And how about configuring X for some random fixed-frequency monitor, in a time before manufacturers had specs online? Start X, hear the high-pitched whine or see the distorted image of a monitor driven out-of-spec, QUICKLY hit Ctrl-Alt-Bksp before damage occurs... Lather, rinse, repeat. Fun! :)

You know you've used Linux a long time when...

...you expect focus-follows-mouse. It's ingrained. Even when at work. Which is Windows-only... *@#*&*@&*!

...every time I use a command shell, I type 'ls'. That doesn't work too well on stock Windows either... (Same goes for 'ifconfig' vs 'ipconfig'.)

(The workplace is a frustrating place for me, when it comes to computers... :rolleyes: )

use a name
March 27th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I've once written a ls.bat file... LOL

Jonne
March 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM
ditto:
ls.bat :

@dir %1 /B /P /W /4

SunnyRabbiera
March 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Gnome ubuntu users:
In windows you look for the top panel every time, and you find yourself weirded out that Xp only has one panel... you look for the "applications, places, system" menu's all you want but you can only find an ugly green thing with the windows logo with the word "start" next to it and you wonder where your precious ubuntu logo went...
and when you want to install a new program you look all over the place for synaptic, you resort to windows "add/ remove" software program only to find it doesnt check for new programs and that it only lists the programs you already have, and you wonder why it only has a uninstall function... where is that blasted checklist of new software darnit!
Then you are most frustrated that you hate that annoying windows theme, you want to change it but the only options availible are the XP blue defualt that you hate, that silver theme that isnt much better, that putrid olive theme and that windows classic theme...
because of its simplicty you like the windows classic theme, but you wonder why it has such an ugly default color scheme!

KDE ubuntu users/ Kubuntu users:
like gome users you are wierded out that you cant find the kmenu button, of course luckily XP has something like KBFX...
but man is it ugly!, in deparation you go to KDE look and try getting better graphics then that ugly green start bar. you download a new graphic and you are very dissipointed that in XP you cant drag anything to the taskbar!
then you want to change the window deccoration, that putrid blue window deccaration gets on your nerves fast... but once again you are faced with the choices that the gnome user has.
then you find you cant stand the colors of XP's panel... tough luck you already know that you cant drag objects into the taskbar.
you look for adept, but its nowhere to be found...

Both:
you are very annoyed that XP has no real option to add new apps or functions to the taskbar, you cant get new backgrounds on that ugly windows panel that you hate so much!
And XFCE users, you are in the same boat too...

Iarwain ben-adar
March 27th, 2007, 03:12 PM
... when you try to start Katapult on Windows, knowing that it won't work.

Tried it on several computers :oops:

Iarwain

EdThaSlayer
March 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
You dislike the way that M$ does things :). Or maybe even hate... :lolflag:

Spr0k3t
March 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
When you compare the latest release of your preferred distro to HP/UX and VAX/VMS systems.

oh noes!!

use a name
March 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM
You dislike the way that M$ does things :). Or maybe even hate... :lolflag:

Oh nonono, you're wrong here. That's not long. That's two days!

bonzodog
March 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
You remember ssh'ing into an SLS (Soft Landing Systems, predecessor to Slackware)server and firing up pine to get your email.

This would be 1996. No X on the server, but we tried a bsd flavour on one or two of the desks with a very basic X. Yes, it was the original X cursor with a Netscape 1 icon on the desktop to start the browser. I started with Gopher and IRc/Usenet.

My first home linux was Caldera Linux 1.3 on a pentium 1 system, running a very early pre 1.0 release of KDE, or fvwm.

prizrak
March 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
You hit ctrl+alt+<arrow> to switch to a different workspace when this one is cluttered and you bitch that Beryl is broken again when it doesn't work only to realize you are on Windows.

Raffo
March 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM
... in Windows you hold the alt key, and try to drag a windows by clicking on anywhere but the title bar. Happens all the time lol
Lol that's so true :lolflag:

Stone123
March 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
When you see a broken system and the things that don't work as challenge and interesting and not as problem.

/red hat 6.2 user

RudolfMDLT
March 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
When (windows)friends phone you for help and you tell them, "Okay, click on start, run and type cmd...."

jtibau
March 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM
You hit ctrl+alt+<arrow> to switch to a different workspace when this one is cluttered and you bitch that Beryl is broken again when it doesn't work only to realize you are on Windows.

lol so true! I tried openSuSE 10.2 and was amazed how they don't default to at least two desktops... What's even worse I couldn't change it without some file editting. I gave up instantly.

So here's another one.

You've used linux a long time when... You have a fresh windows install want to start apt-get ing codecs/programs/libraries and then just leave it there cause you don't want to hunt down the whole internet for the stuff you need.

Mr Wrath
March 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM
You've used Linux a long time when, you begin cussing Microsoft for every error/problem you run in to..

It is becoming a daily occurrence.

Mr Wrath
March 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM
You've used Linux a long time when, you begin cussing Microsoft for every error/problem you run in to..even when sometimes, they had nothing to do with it.

It is becoming a daily occurrence

unbuntu
March 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I've used Linux when KDE is butt-ugly. (RH7.1 back in 2001)

ishimaru_kaito
March 27th, 2007, 11:57 PM
you try to rearrange your desktop and forget that windows doesn't snap screens to the edges.... :(

v4169sgr
March 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
... when you recall the 14 floppy MCC [Manchester Computer Centre] Linux distro you installed on a 386-SX40 with 4 meg of RAM and an 80 meg HDD - and it ran X, with full multitasking, networking etc, but you had to compile the kernel on another box to take out all the stuff you didn't need [this was 0.99pl10] and ftp it back because otherwise you wouldn't have enough RAM, and you needed to chmod the entire LaTeX tree because the maintainers had stuffed it up.

This was in the days before SLS and Slackware, and way before the weird sounding 'Debian Potato' new kid on the block. It would have been some time 1991.

I later upgraded to SLS on the same box with the same specs, and wrote my PhD thesis on it ...

richbarna
March 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
You go into a shop where you can "Buy 1 get 1 Free" and when asked what you would like Free, you request the release of Kevin ;)

How about also the first release of Suse, a 28k modem and your mother threatening to kill you over the phone bill, because you weren't 1337 enough to hack a phone line.

Bulletin Boards where you would eagerly await the next edition of Phrack, but wouldn't understand a single word of it.

lyceum
March 28th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I knew I was ingrained into Ubuntu when a guy handed me his laptop to do something and I looked at it and thought "What the h*** is this?" (I was using Windows 98 at work at the time, he had XP). I shook my head though and was quickly back in Kansas, but it was no place like home (that is a pop culture Wizard of Oz reference for those who do not get it.)

ArtificialSynapse
March 28th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I'm guilty of typing "ls" in Windows/DOS command shells. For some reason, though, I tried to compensate by using "dir" in Cygwin. :confused:

I do this ALL THE TIME!!!

Xenogis
March 28th, 2007, 02:06 AM

You've used Gnome a long time when....

You are used to drag'n'drop pretty much everything in your way.

Holy crap.... that is so true.

kinematic
March 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
you press CTRL>Alt>backspace after updating in windows :lolflag:

galileon
April 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
you have whited out your "windows logo" keys

i removed mine with a screwdriver! it was an eyesore...

insane_alien
April 1st, 2007, 09:31 PM
when you try to find the XP source code to fix some of the more glaring errors and bugs.

jgrabham
April 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM
Oh nonono, you're wrong here. That's not long. That's two days!

thats either 10 secs or never

treak007
April 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
when you drag and drop a file from windows explorer into a text field and expect it to display the full file pathname.

Skye
April 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM
When you look at a page you've written out by hand but entirely dislike, and instead of wanting to erase the errors with an eraser or throw the page away, the first thing you think is "rm -rf".

Yes, this has happened to me, and yes, I started laughing. The other people taking the SATs probably thought I was crazy, though.

grte
April 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM
When you cut your gui teeth on twm.

graabein
April 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
when you drag and drop a file from windows explorer into a text field and expect it to display the full file pathname.

I want to do that with Firefox and attachements.

Jonne
April 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I want to do that with Firefox and attachements.
like this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2190 ?
or am I misunderstanding what you want?

insane_alien
April 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM
when using a windows computer you need it to have 4 screens duct-taped into a cube and attached to a pivot so you can at least emulate beryl

picpak
April 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I also agree with middle-click pasting. God, that's addictive!

That and throwing windows in another workspace :mrgreen:

zenkaon
April 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM
When you were really excited to be moving away from vms and alpha PC's and onto the new intel based 386s running kde 1.x on SuSe 4.x

When it took 3 weeks of hard graft to get your sound card working....and the wheel on the mouse didn't do anything

disturbed1
April 28th, 2007, 02:13 AM
When you have to compile and mod probe the tulip driver for networking.

When the version of GNOME (then) is faster and lighter than XFCE (now).

Mod probing opl-sax to get that cool new ISA sound card working.

Going to try out that brand new slackware spin off called Suse, then maybe get that new RedHat spin off Mandrake.

disturbed1
April 28th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Forgot this one ....

Helping a neighbor trouble shoot their internet connection on Windows and can't figure out why on earth ifconfig isn't a recognized system call.

Helping another neighbor fix a broken Windows 2000 install, and having problems with tab-complete in the shell, and keep on typing ls instead of dir

TravisNewman
April 28th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I've used Linux when KDE is butt-ugly. (RH7.1 back in 2001)
I've used KDE when it was butt-ugly: yesterday (wokka wokka wokka)

Seriously though, I remember all the slackware disk sets using rawrite. I almost miss the challenge of installing Linux, that was half the fun.

Anyway, you've used Linux a long time when you create batch files for all your favorite commands:
ls -> dir
rm -> del
sudo -> nothing. Yes, I made a sudo batch file that does nothing just so I wouldn't error out when typing "sudo something"
apt-cache and a few others -> echo "you're on windows, moron"
ifconfig -> ipconfig
a few other that I can't remember.

MethodOne
April 28th, 2007, 03:24 AM
You're so used to using Vim to edit text files that you download and install the Windows version (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim70.exe) of it. That also applies to Windows ports of any other Linux/Unix applications, if they exist.

Note: If you want to use ls, rm, cp, mv, md5sum, etc. in Windows, download the zip file from http://unxutils.sourceforge.net and extract the desired commands to c:\windows\system32.

zubrug
April 28th, 2007, 03:25 AM
It's been long, the last 9 virus I have encountered resulted in either diarhea and cramps or a sore on my lip.

koenn
April 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM
... when you type :wq to save and quit notepad or an ms-word doc.

carney1979
April 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Gnome and KDE didn't exist.

It took nearly a week to get something called X-Windows to work, then you were greeted by the FVWM desktop........

MontanaMax
May 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
You've used Kubuntu a long time when you're at work on the M$ machine and keep hitting <Alt-space> and waiting for Katapult to start.

Both I wish M$ had something like that I could load on my work machine...

dashnak
May 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
When you're hungry after geeking around with your box through the night, and you tell your also geek friend "I'm kinda hungry, could you make some sandwiches?" and he tells you "No" so you say "sudo make me a sandwich" and he laughs and goes to the kitchen to work on them.

galileon
May 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM
when you press ctrl-alt-f1 then say "wtf? where's the console?"

or if you do load up the dos console. you try to ls, and locate stuff | grep morestuff

galileon
May 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM
When you're hungry after geeking around with your box through the night, and you tell your also geek friend "I'm kinda hungry, could you make some sandwiches?" and he tells you "No" so you say "sudo make me a sandwich" and he laughs and goes to the kitchen to work on them.

http://xenia.media.mit.edu/~peretti/cory_arcangel_pizza_party/pizza_party.mpg

ssam
May 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM
that's nothing

back in my day ubuntu came on punch cards, and i had to carry them bare foot through the snow.

configuring X for you new graphics card required a steady hand and a soldering iron.

MarkX
May 14th, 2007, 10:37 PM
...you think the command line is a marvellous thing.

moffatt666
May 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
...you think the command line is a marvellous thing.

I'm a relatively new user and I think that!

MarkX
May 14th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm a relatively new user and I think that!

You'll have no problem upgrading to MsDos then, theirs is even better.
A real perv would move straight onto a ZX81...

yatt
May 15th, 2007, 01:02 AM
You've had to have known the root password to execute administrative commands.

Foxmike
May 15th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Okay, you guys almost said them all ;-)

when somebody is asking you how to install media codecs and you begin to write on a piece of paper "sudo aptitude install ..."

By the way, we are still using HP/UX 10 at work... and I am missing GNOME a LOT!!!:)

Regards,

-FM