PDA

View Full Version : Just curious to see what you all think about fedora and redhat parting company

Optimal Aurora
June 5th, 2005, 02:36 AM
I know this doesn't concern Ubuntu in any way and I know that at least a few of you may have heard the news, but I am just hearing it... (late to the game today), but I am shocked that this is happening... Here is the news article I found about Red Hat lets go of Fedora Linux (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5730931.html) and me with 2 books that mainly deals with fedora as a redhat distro... Fedora was top on use as a server and redhat enterprise linux is suffering because of free enterprise linux distros like our beloved Ubuntu..., but doesn't that mean that the Raleigh,NC company is on a downward spiral...

I just wanted to know how you all felt about this topic...

pdk001
June 5th, 2005, 02:52 AM
fedora was one of my favorite distro

Optimal Aurora
June 5th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Will you still use it after it under goes the dropping to it own foundation ( the fedora foundation)... Just curious...

bored2k
June 5th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I'm going to try FC4 next week :D. As long as they keep making a good product (RH will still pay for it), i dont care.

mrtaber
June 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM
It sounded, in the announcement, as if Red Hat were still going to be major contributors to the project.

And as for Ubuntu hurting the likes of RHEL...probably not much. I love Ubuntu, but where I work, not even Fedora is allowed in the door. That pretty much leaves RHEL, Suse, and hopefully Ubuntu Enterprise when it comes out. Anyway, we run RHEL. In larger (and/or conservative) organizations, vendor support means *alot*.

:)

mark
June 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I take this as a good thing. I was a dedicated Red Hat/Fedora user untill I found Ubuntu - I wish Mr. Pennington & Co. all the best on this foray - what the hey, I may even try FC4 when they release it this coming week...

KiwiNZ
June 5th, 2005, 10:01 PM
What is happening with Redhat is happening to Novell. There needs to be a fundimental shift in thinking with in the Linux community in general if advances are to continue and Corporations are to survive. Or we will see some fine Distros like RHL and Suse disappear.
These Corporations provide much needed commercial input into Linux without which I dont believe Linux will beyond its current level.

Optimal Aurora
June 6th, 2005, 06:18 AM
The way people talk about it though is like this, from a mild developers stand point Redhat maintained what would and wouldn't be allowed to run on fedora, now with fedora 4 and the forming of fedora foundation, the users of fedora have more say then fedora just being a beta test OS for RHEL... So in someways it brings it closer to being more like other linux distros and all...

At my college, the servers that we use have some form of linux on them and we students manage fedora linux workstations using them like servers...