PDA

View Full Version : Chess players ?

ThaDoctor99
March 26th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hi!

Are there others who are playing chess and using ubuntu, there is loads of great software, I would like to know if there were others I use SCID as a database, used it on windows to once, it is very much better on ubuntu I say!
also I like scidlet and crafty engines.

Somenoob
March 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Chess is a pretty big interest of mine.

I use Glchess(from Gnome games) for the GUI
And GNUchess for the engine

ThaDoctor99
March 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Haven't you got a database ?
If you haven't I can pack some games down to you... :-)
I am downloading a lot of pgn files right now....

Sef
March 26th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I play chess at redhotpawn.com.

ThaDoctor99
March 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I play at FICS under the nick: linuxfreak
really great!
Else I play at the danish eskak.dk

ComplexNumber
March 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
i play chess, but less regularly now. i just use xboard with the gnuchess engine. crafty seems quicker, but it seems more tactical than gnuchess, whereas gnuchess seems more positional than crafty. not tried any other engines. never tried playing chess over the internet, but may have a go sometime.
i used to play chess a lot between the ages of 5 and 8, then largely abandoned it after that apart from various spurts of chess playing activity every so often.

Dual Cortex
March 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
i play chess, but less regularly now. i just use xboard with the gnuchess engine. crafty seems quicker, but it seems more tactical than gnuchess, whereas gnuchess seems more positional than crafty. not tried any other engines. never tried playing chess over the internet, but may have a go sometime.
i used to play chess a lot between the ages of 5 and 8, then abandoned it.

Same. I think I haven't played since my Windows days. Used to play on yahoo chess :hide:.
I think my chessplaying user ID is fesago90.

ThaDoctor99
March 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Most pro chessplayers use windows becourse of chessbase, I just abandoned windows even though I had brought a chessbase copy - wonder if chessbase can run under ubuntu ?
Well anyway I am happy with SCID I think the features are really neat!
And I like the prospect of free software, I am no capitalist.... :-) - but it is a little hard when I live in a capitalistick world :-(

samjh
March 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I used Arena on Windows. I've yet to find a similarly-capable chess engine interface and internet client on Linux.

I've tried Xboard, but it is far behind Arena in terms of usability, IMHO.

Practically started up my high school chess club, back in the days.

ThaDoctor99
March 28th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I use eboard and scid I think those are great.
I didn't like arena on windows anyway...