PDA

View Full Version : FireFox = Unstable

darksong
March 26th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I have noticed, since firefox 1.5, that it has started crashing on almost a daily basis. Before 1.5 it seemed never to crash.

It always crashed @ the wrong times - 94% of a 500mb file d/led (took 3 hours) and firefox randomly crashes when on OpenOffice :S - firefoxes download manager never resumes these downloads after crashes.

Anyone else noticed this?

Quillz
March 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM
It's always been pretty stable for me. Are you using 2.0.0.3, the latest version?

daynah
March 26th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Firefox makes my computer cry. It makes my computer freeze. But without this, I would have never known the glories of Opera.

dbbolton
March 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I have noticed, since firefox 1.5, that it has started crashing on almost a daily basis. Before 1.5 it seemed never to crash.

It always crashed @ the wrong times - 94% of a 500mb file d/led (took 3 hours) and firefox randomly crashes when on OpenOffice :S - firefoxes download manager never resumes these downloads after crashes.

i prefer 1.5

igknighted
March 26th, 2007, 12:52 AM

Yeah, FF has a really bad download manager. Do you use any extensions? Themes? I wonder if something you are using either (a) has a bug or (b) is incompatible with the newer versions of FF. I personally don't like firefox for many reasons (performance-wise its a RAM hog and being gtk based it ruins my KDE desktop :)). Also, how much ram do you have? Lots of times FF will freeze up because it simply uses up all the ram available. Try running top in the terminal when it is crashing to see what resources it is taking. Or try running FF in a terminal to catch the crash and see what output it gives.

Polygon
March 26th, 2007, 12:55 AM
remove all of your extensions and firefox will be stable again.

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2007, 01:36 AM
I stopped using Firefox when 2 was released . Unstable , buggy and nothing I could do would improve it. A shame .

SZF2001
March 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM
After installing the Epiphany browser and finding out there was a conflicting library package messing with the nonfree flash package (and deleted it, at that), I've never had a browser problem. Except when I open up a bunch of programs on my computer - but you gotta understand it's only 128 RAM and it sucks my nuts, basically. I'm sure that, if you are a sane person with a good computer, Epiphany would do wonders for you.

RandomJoe
March 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Never had much trouble with it... I do rarely have some new site that'll cause it to crash for mysterious reasons (since I can go right back and it works fine), but beyond that for the vast majority of the sites I go to no trouble at all. I don't think it's ever crashed due to a download.

Most of my troubles have been with the Adobe Acrobat Reader plugin. It'll lock up hard if I breathe wrong... Really need to remove that...

On Linux I just use the "default" Ubuntu 6.06 version, so it's 1.5.0.10 ATM. I have 2.0.0.x on my Windows work machine, but I don't do a whole lot of browsing at work. I only use the FlashBlock extension.

Kujen
March 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM
remove all of your extensions and firefox will be stable again.

Ha, then what's the point of using firefox? ;)

Dual Cortex
March 26th, 2007, 03:28 AM
I stopped using Firefox when 2 was released . Unstable , buggy and nothing I could do would improve it. A shame .

:agree:

Opera here.

troymcdavis
March 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Are you using flash? One old release (of version 9) required some settings changes to keep it from constantly crashing the browser. If you update to the latest, you can rule out that.

aysiu
March 26th, 2007, 03:38 AM
It's stable for me.

dbbolton
March 26th, 2007, 03:57 AM
It's stable for me.
i thought you used iceweasel...

aysiu
March 26th, 2007, 04:00 AM
i thought you used iceweasel...
Nope. I've never even installed IceWeasel. I've tried Swiftfox and Seamonkey, but I always end up coming back to Firefox.

Polygon
March 26th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Ha, then what's the point of using firefox? ;)

point being that extensions are sometimes poorly coded or have bugs / memory leaks, and a lot of time extensions and plugins (like flash) are the source of firefox slowdowns, crashes and whatnot.

Skeith
March 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Firefoxs stability issues confuse me. I follow the development closely, Firefox 2 had over 15 bug fixes a night for months and months but still launched with many problems.

I also find it confusing how the most popular browser behind IE is playing catchup with everything but IE. Konqueror and Opera are excellent browsers that render faster and use much less memory (last I checked Konqueror used slightly less than Opera). Firefox 3 is to see a dramatic improvement with rendering speed and memory issues. But will it match Konqueror 4 and the next version of Opera?

I don't know about Opera, but Konqueror 4 is set to be even faster and use even less memory. Just from the port to qt4.

Cloudy
March 26th, 2007, 05:40 AM
It's stable for me.

Same. I can literally not think of any problems I've ever had with Firefox. It's always been really stable for me and I've been using it for 2-3 years now.

Naralas
March 26th, 2007, 05:49 AM
i prefer 1.5

I found your problem.

chickengirl
March 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I've never had any problems with Firefox, and I use the alpha/beta builds, for IPU's sake! But then again -- that means I've been using official Mozilla builds and not Ubuntu's build. And I only have flash 7 and haven't been fooling around with flash 9.

~LoKe
March 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Latest version of Firefox here, no manually installed extensions and it still crashes more than I would like.

STREETURCHINE
March 26th, 2007, 06:04 AM
i find firefox very stable i have firefox ,2.0

that said i mainly use flock web browser as it links straight to fickr and photobucket...:)

Bloch
March 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Firefox works smooth for me, until I click on (non-flash) streaming video that requires the mplayer plugin.. Then it will freeze and crash about 60% of the time.

I count this as a Firefox problem - it's a foreseeable circumstance.

karellen
March 26th, 2007, 07:22 AM
for me it's stable. I think it crashed just once in six months ;)

racoq
March 26th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I personally don't like firefox for many reasons (performance-wise its a RAM hog and being gtk based it ruins my KDE desktop :)).

That is a mistake that people often make. FF its not Gtk based its multi platform. Thats why sometimes it can be more slow than a native web browser like epiphany for gnome or konqueror for KDE. Although for me its smooth an stable enough

Pikestaff
March 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Firefox has been crashing so much for me recently (three or four times a day) that I'm starting to consider using another browser... but there are some Firefox extensions that I really love that I don't think other browsers have (like FoxyTunes, LiveJournal Friends Page checker, etc.) so I dunno... maybe Swiftfox would be better?

(I'm using Firefox 2 by the way, not Ubuntu's build.)

Ozor Mox
March 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I'm also finding Firefox to be less than stable with the current newest version. It will simply die with the error message that it has encountered an error and will close, very often when I'm not even using it and it's just in the background. Thankfully the "restore previous session" saves a lot of tab-opening hassle.

Curiously, the older versions and the newest version under Windows seem to be fine.

hoagie
March 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Nah it's stable for me.

Spr0k3t
March 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
64bit, stable... No flash either... gee, I wonder why it's stable.

AndyCooll
March 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM
This has all been reported before, and there are some fixes. For me it was changing the "DefaultDepth" setting in xorg.conf to 24. I edited that setting and FF has worked fine since.

There are a number of threads in these forums that it might be worth looking at. Here's one for instance: Solution to flash-related Firefox 2 crash in Edgy (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=286069)

:cool:

bruce89
March 26th, 2007, 09:28 PM
You're not the only one - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&field.status%3Alist=Unconfirmed&field.status%3Alist=Needs+Info&field.status%3Alist=Confirmed&field.status%3Alist=In+Progress&field.status%3Alist=Fix+Committed&field.importance%3Alist=High&assignee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.owner=&field.status_upstream=&field.status_upstream-empty-marker=1&field.omit_dupes.used=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch.used=&field.tag=&search=Search (this is a list of 116 bugs in Launchpad which are marked "high importance".) [warning: may crash lesser browsers]

The sooner Ubuntu switches to Epiphany the better for the bugsquad.

plb
March 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
stable here as well.

ice60
March 27th, 2007, 02:47 AM
i have 42 extensions and firefox is perfectly stable for me :)

BTW, there's a link showing the Problematic extensions along with workarounds here -
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

i'm using firefox now and have lots of tabs open, so i don't want to restart it, but there's the safe mode starting option for firefox that will load firefox without any extensions and plugins as well, i think. you can try that to help find out if an extension is causing problems :) maybe this is it -

firefox -safe-mode

here's a nice firefox link - http://firefox.phpmagazine.net/

qamelian
March 27th, 2007, 03:01 AM
You're not the only one - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&field.status%3Alist=Unconfirmed&field.status%3Alist=Needs+Info&field.status%3Alist=Confirmed&field.status%3Alist=In+Progress&field.status%3Alist=Fix+Committed&field.importance%3Alist=High&assignee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.owner=&field.status_upstream=&field.status_upstream-empty-marker=1&field.omit_dupes.used=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch.used=&field.tag=&search=Search (this is a list of 116 bugs in Launchpad which are marked "high importance".) [warning: may crash lesser browsers]

The sooner Ubuntu switches to Epiphany the better for the bugsquad.

Hardly. Epiphany is a waste of disc space. I keep trying it and I keep hating it. I find it compares poorly to Firefox in both features and stability. The only browser I've ever found more crash prone is Konquorer.

EdThaSlayer
March 27th, 2007, 05:33 AM
My Firefox 2.0.0.2 works perfectly fine except for one problem. That problem is the worst since the memory usage for Firefox goes to 0 and I have to 'kill' these processes if I want to actually restart Firefox. The only reason I use it is for the many extensions that I can get. :popcorn:

Polygon
March 27th, 2007, 06:31 AM
if anyone here uses flash + firefox, go download the flash 9 plugin again, they have updated it and its much much more stable and doesnt make firefox freeze nearly half as much.

FredB
March 27th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I am using Firefox since it was called Phoenix 0.1, back in 2002 !

If you have crashing / unstability problems, just clean off your extensions and your profile.

I am using Minefield (which will become Firefox 3 by the end of 2007), and I cannot see a crash for... weeks !

indu85
March 27th, 2007, 11:02 AM
thought Firefox 3 was called Gran Paradiso? ;)

siimo
March 27th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I am using FF 2.0.0.3 and its rock solid as ever :guitar:

Can't live without it + some handy extensions. I depend on it on all 3 systems Linux, OS X and Windows

jeyaganesh
March 27th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Thats why I have installed Opera browser along with firefox. Whenever firefox crash, I use Opera.:lolflag:

Chilli Bob
April 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
I've used Firefox for a couple of years without a crash and loved it, but the update a few months ago crashes 4 or 5 times a day on my XP PC at work. (Sorry, I don't have the release number, I'm writing this at home on 1.5.0.11, which is rock solid)

Ozor Mox
April 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM
2.0.0.3 seems to have gone back to being stable for me (cross fingers).

stokedfish
April 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
It's the plugins that make FF unstable - the base is Ms. Stable herself... ;)

Ozor Mox
April 1st, 2007, 02:26 PM
Not for me. The only plugin I had installed was the British English dictionary! :(

Seems ok with the latest version though.

Lucifiel
April 2nd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Hey, you should upgrade to Firefox 2.0.0.3 . I actually had the same problems like you but once I did the upgrade, Firefox stopped crashing. :)

dbbolton
April 2nd, 2007, 05:08 AM
I found your problem.
actually i've decided to use netscape 3.1