PDA

View Full Version : multiline text input, like zenity

xolot1
March 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
to apply what ive learned about bash and html over the last few years ive been blog publishing system using bash scripting to create the html files. now im branching out of the command line, but only as an ease of use improvement. i dont plan on learning gtk, etc. very soon.

i would like to have GUI dialog boxes pop up in which i can enter text.
zenity was exactly what i was looking for, except if i want to have a multiline text field (and i most definitely will). are there any premade, relatively simple solutions such as zenity/gdialog?

thanks for helping me out

lloyd_b
March 25th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Take a look at the "dialog" package. It may be what you're looking for.

Lloyd B.

xolot1
March 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM
i may resort to dialog, but from what i understood, it was limited to the CL. i was hoping to, say, press a shortcut, and have a box pop up prompting for the content.

right now this is done with the terminal popping up, but i was wondering if there were any prebuilt GTK (etc) packages.

thanks for the reply.

lloyd_b
March 25th, 2007, 11:51 PM
If you run Synaptic, and search for "dialog" as part of the package name, half a dozen pop up (including dialog, of course).

One of them, "gtkdialog", looks like it might be what you're looking for (I've just looked at the description, so I can't tell for sure).

Lloyd B.

xolot1
March 26th, 2007, 06:23 AM
that package provides even more than i was looking for! perfect!

thanks for the pointer - ill search synaptic as well as google next time.

willi