PDA

View Full Version : The importance of giving customer feedback

sbergman27
March 25th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I've been thinking about how, so often, I and presumably others just take the disregard and abuse that we get from device manufacturers without effectively communicating our grief to them.

E.g., I have spent many an hour trying to get my Broadcom 4318 wifi chipset working stably, at 54mbit, with the native Linux driver.

But until yesterday, I had not communicated my displeasure to anyone at Broadcom.

So often, I think we feel, at some level, that it is our *fault* for using Linux instead of Windows. That a company does not claim to support Linux and so we have no right to complain.

But that is not so. Or, more to the point, there is a difference between complaints and constructive feedback. Companies pay big bucks for market research. So by emailing a rep of the company, you are actually doing them a favor by supplying constructive feedback for free.

I did send an email off to the Oklahoma Broadcom rep explaining the issues of Broadcom not providing proper specs from which stable drivers can be written, and failing to provide their own driver, while at the same time using Linux, for free, as a platform for some of their embedded products.

The short answer I got back made it clear that he hadn't a clue as to what I was talking about. I quote it in its entirety:

"""
The 4318 is a 802.11g chipset. I do not understand your complaint. Can
you not get WIFI access ? If not, please contcat the OEM you purchased
the product from.
"""

I've sent a note back trying to explain further. Perhaps he does not even know what Linux and Open Source are. But even if all I accomplish is making him understand that there are some computers out there somewhere that don't run Windows... well, its better then letting him go about his job without even that dim awareness.

So I call upon all of you, if you have a piece of hardware that has caused you grief, or even inconvenience, due to the ignorance or apathy of its manufacture toward us, type out a quick, polite email to their local rep today.

It's like the Doctor Seuss story "Horton Hears a Who". By ourselves we cannot effectively be heard. But together we can *make* ourselves heard.

We may be a minority. But if we all use the tools at our disposal effectively, we can make ourselves clearly heard over the din of their Windows customers.

This is one of the most important things that we can do to further Open Source software, and something that everyone can do, as it requires no special technical skills beyond knowing how to send an email.

Most companies have one or more email address listed on their 'contact us' page.

For others of you cursed with a Broadcom chipset who had trouble getting it to work stably, or are having to use ndiswrapper and the Windows driver (a configuration that will no longer work once the kernel goes to 4k stacks), here is the page listing Broadcom's area sales offices:

http://www.broadcom.com/contact/sales_offices.php

Sincerely,
Steve Bergman

stargazer
March 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
On several occasions, I have expressed my displeasure to Canon about their lack of support for Linux. Their response has always been to try and find open source drivers. Of course Canon will not release the info necessary to create open source drivers . . .

Bigbluecat
March 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I absolutely agree that we need to provide feedback if we want to get change.

Unfortunately the guy in Oklahoma probably has absolutely no idea about WiFi chipsets. Broadcom has thousands of product lines and this rep (not a Broadcom employee) will only learn bout the ones that he can sell locally.

I would think that most of the WiFi is sold in Taiwan (80% of laptops are designed and made there including Dell, HP, Lenovo).

The best we can expect from this guy is that he passes your message to the product manager in Broadcom.

In fact if you are still in touch then why not politely request this. At least then it may get to someone that understands the issue.

sbergman27
March 26th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Well, as it happens, I did get this back after my second email:

"" "
I wasn't aware we had any issues with the linux OS and our 11g driver.
I'll make sure your feedback is channeled back to BRCM.
"""

Well, at least he now realizes that there is a problem and says he'll pass the info back to someone at Broadcom.

That's about as much as one can reasonably expect, I suppose.

I notice that Broadcom did participate in the wifi summit in January. And according to lwn.net, they are contributing code to the kernel.

Of course, they are working on their own Linux based embedded projects, so I don't know if that will result in help for the bcm43xx reverse engineering team or not.

machoo02
March 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Here (http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=121) is an interesting post from the blog of the editor of Phoronix, which does a lot of graphical hardware testing under linux.

I think he makes an interesting point, in that it might be more useful to send a message to the OEMs to have better linux support. Individual customers probably won't have the same effect as someone like Dell saying "Give us Linux drivers for your chipsets".

sbergman27
March 26th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Haven't read your link yet, but you are right. I need to send a note to HPaq. They are the one's who put the silly Broadcom mini-pci in it in the first place.

I did not know until last night that the built in chipset is replaceable. It's just a mini-pci board under a cover on the bottom.

I ordered an Intel Pro 2200 mini-pci board last night. :-)

-Steve

rai4shu2
March 26th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I think it's a good idea, but in particular most hardware people will listen more closely if it's a major retailer complaining (in particular, if they do a lot of package deals).

Bigbluecat
March 26th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Good job with the Broadcom guy. As much as you can hope for through this channel.

Like any other process in business we need to get our messages to all links in and around the supply chain.

In this way the message can become self reinforcing as each link in the chain pases is it around to each other.