PDA

View Full Version : Sims for linux

Aurigas
March 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hi, I want to play with the sims on ubuntu and i read there is a native version for linux. where can I buy it? is there any patch for the people who have buy it for windows system? Thx!

rolando2424
March 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
As far as I know, there is no native version of Sims (1 and 2) for Linux.

I don't know if they will run on Wine or Cedega though...

timcredible
March 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
well, the sims is available on the ps2. maybe that's the native linux version you heard about.

Lystrodom
March 26th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Doesn't work in Wine, according to the appDB.

hikaricore
March 26th, 2007, 05:10 AM
well, the sims is available on the ps2. maybe that's the native linux version you heard about.

Think you mean ps3?

And to the OP, yea sims will probably not work under linux.

Wine Application Database (http://appdb.winehq.org) search for your game and find out yourself.

bwingbob
March 26th, 2007, 05:27 AM
TransGaming use to sell a version of the Sims for Linux. Not sure if it is still available though.

I purchased TransGaming's Kohan port years ago, I haven't messed with it in quite a while, but I enjoyed it and it worked as advertised. I also use to subscribe to WineX, it's called Cedega now. When I was using it, the games that were fully supported pretty much ran as well on Linux as Windows, occasionally better. :)

TuxGames (http://www.tuxgames.com) has a selection of native Linux games.

chrisLACHCIK5084
May 26th, 2007, 08:06 AM
sims 2 does not work in ubuntu at all, even thru wine. it'll ask for the second cd and when you open your disc tray, wine will still be using that source and so it'll come up with a stupid error each time and you'll just have to restart your computer after you stop the install.

hikaricore
May 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Not that it matters but you could copy the contents of the discs to your hard drive and try to install.

Sims 2 does not run worth anything under wine so again it's pointless.

You don't have to restart your computer you can just kill the wine process or run:

wineserver -k

ash45
September 7th, 2008, 03:23 AM
hi just to let you know yes there is a sims for Linux its the first one it used to be bundled with mandrake a few years ago i used to have a copy but i gave it away i haven't been able to find a copy since tho but there definitely was one :)

rossjman1
September 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
From Wikipedia:

# The Sims was ported to Linux using Transgaming's WineX technology (now known as Cedega) and was bundled with Mandrake Linux Gaming Edition. However, both WineX and the Cedega engine are unable to run the Windows version of the game. The original port will no longer run on modern Linux distributions and is unable to accept the various add-on packs intended for the Windows version.[citation needed]

anjilslaire
September 7th, 2008, 04:43 AM
this thread is over a year old...

btw, It does run under an OpenBox WinXP VM, even without hardware acceleration. Still, that's a poor option :(

schmindy
September 15th, 2008, 02:24 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=919372

rettichschnidi
January 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hi

I got the Sims for Linux running under Ubuntu 8.10 x86.

Note 1: I didn't test that solution for a long game so I'm not sure if it runs stable.
Note 2: You have to have the Sims for Linux, the updates for Sims AND Cedega

Here are my steps:

Copy simsdata.rpm from CD and the updates The_Sims-3.2-1.i386.rpm and
WineX_Sims-3.2-2.i386.rpm to a writable directory.

convert them to deb's (I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 32bit):

alien *rpm

install the files:

sudo dpkg -i *deb

run
the_sims once, it will ask for the serial, check the CD and start the Sims. Quit the Sims ASAP, it would not work now.

delete old WineX:

rm -rf /usr/lib/the_sims/winex_sims/*

Copy fresh Winex/Cedega (4.1.1 works for me):

sudo cp -R ~/.cedega/.winex_ver/winex-4.1.1/winex/* /usr/lib/the_sims/winex_sims/

run
the_sims or
the_sims -r1024x768 again, should work now.

Would be happy to hear if it worked out for you.

anjilslaire
February 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM
I.m confused. Why would cedega be required for Linux build of the Sims?
Does it get installed from the game disc? If it's required, then I'd say its not really "for Linux"...

hikaricore
February 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM
Same reason the EVE for Linux requires cedega. Because they really didn't bother to port it.

rettichschnidi
February 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yes, it's not a "real" port. But AFAIR it's still the only way to get "the Sims" running under Linux (no, a VM doesn't count, at least for me)

anjilslaire
February 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
(no, a VM doesn't count, at least for me)

Agreed. I was just giving an option I've confirmed.

m3t3ors
August 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
i have a copy of mandrake with the sims linux version, i have had it running on ubuntu a few years back. but havent tried recently

marks760108
February 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
i know cedega says it will work, but i dont know how to use cedega, any help would be appreciated

lisati
February 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Wow! A thread started in 2007 is revived! May it rest in peace!