PDA

View Full Version : I hate Compaq.

izanbardprince
March 25th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I'm just going to use this as a way to vent.

In 1993 I bought my first PC, I had previously used an Apple II and a Commodore 128, the PC I bought was a Compaq, the thing was unkillable, it's in my closet right now but it still boots up and runs just fine.

I bought a Compaq laptop last year, nothing but problems, the thing has overheated, the DVD drive has gone out, the touchpad has quit working, and the main board has acted up.

The only thing I can say that I do like about HP/Compaq is their warranty, because I know I've used it about enough times.

What I want to know is why they think that cutting corners is worth paying for warranty repairs like these down the road.

What kind of management do they have where shoddy pieces of crap like this laptop roll off their assembly lines?

I know the answer really, Wal-Mart wants prices lower and lower and threatens you with your competitors.

But still, there are a lot of companies that blow Wal-Mart off, and continue to thrive in the business of selling a quality product, I suppose next time I'll steer clear of Wal-Mart and Compaq when buying a computer.

Anyone know if Compaq's whole lineup is this bad?

JLB
March 25th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Their business class laptops are great! Better quality and better warranty. Their "consumer" products are flimsy, have but a 1 year warranty and generally have issues. People bring these cheap laptops to me all the time for repair.

KiwiNZ
March 25th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I have a HP Pavillion DV1000 Notebook. I have had it for about 18 months , it has never missed a beat . Its brilliant.

Technoviking
March 25th, 2007, 05:36 AM
My in-laws have two Compaq laptops, one works well, the other is a disaster. It really matters on the model.

Cloudy
March 25th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I had a Compaq desktop (I can't remember the model or anything) but I had it for a week and the PSU died amongst other things. Took it back to the seller and they allowed us to trade it for something else, so I'm not fussed. The Vaio desktop we got afterward has been working fine for 2+ years now.

RAV TUX
March 25th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I'm just going to use this as a way to vent.

In 1993 I bought my first PC, I had previously used an Apple II and a Commodore 128, the PC I bought was a Compaq, the thing was unkillable, it's in my closet right now but it still boots up and runs just fine.

I bought a Compaq laptop last year, nothing but problems, the thing has overheated, the DVD drive has gone out, the touchpad has quit working, and the main board has acted up.

The only thing I can say that I do like about HP/Compaq is their warranty, because I know I've used it about enough times.

What I want to know is why they think that cutting corners is worth paying for warranty repairs like these down the road.

What kind of management do they have where shoddy pieces of crap like this laptop roll off their assembly lines?

I know the answer really, Wal-Mart wants prices lower and lower and threatens you with your competitors.

But still, there are a lot of companies that blow Wal-Mart off, and continue to thrive in the business of selling a quality product, I suppose next time I'll steer clear of Wal-Mart and Compaq when buying a computer.

Anyone know if Compaq's whole lineup is this bad?I actually bought a Compaq before it proved worthless....constantly broke down....

EDIT: to be continued

3rdalbum
March 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Am I the only one who's had a great experience with the Compaqs?

I've got a Compaq desktop that was the display model at a store for about 7 months before I bought it. I put Ubuntu on it, and 10 months later it is still going beautifully. Everything except the Winmodem is working (and even then, apparantly it can work, I just can't be bothered to find and compile a driver for it).

I bought an extended warranty for it, but I haven't used the manufacturer's warranty yet.

mips
March 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Am I the only one who's had a great experience with the Compaqs?

No, same here. Always had very good performance from Compaq laptops, but they were all business class models. I currently have a nx6110 which is more consumer class but it has been going strong for very close on 2yrs now.

Zuuswa
March 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have a compaq R4000 series laptop. It was their top of the line consumer model about 2 years ago, but they are still selling rigs with the same specs now (albeit for about $700 less) and the only problem I have with it is the dvd drive. Its quite strange, because it can read dvds, and burn dvds, but it cant read the dvds that it burns. . . other computers can read them just fine, but it seems that this one cannot. Other than that, it has performed top notch, although I will be returning it soon before my waranty is up, so that I can get a new battery and a new screen. Hopefully they just completely replace the thing, as it is quite beat up and the case is all scratched and fugly.

mips
March 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have a compaq R4000 series laptop. It was their top of the line consumer model about 2 years ago, but they are still selling rigs with the same specs now (albeit for about $700 less) and the only problem I have with it is the dvd drive. Its quite strange, because it can read dvds, and burn dvds, but it cant read the dvds that it burns. . . other computers can read them just fine, but it seems that this one cannot. Other than that, it has performed top notch, although I will be returning it soon before my waranty is up, so that I can get a new battery and a new screen. Hopefully they just completely replace the thing, as it is quite beat up and the case is all scratched and fugly.

My try and upgrade the drives firmware. While you are doing that you might as well upgrade the laptops as well.

Nrvnqsr
March 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM
hmm....I say it depends on the model, 3 years ago I had a Presario 906US after the 1 year warranty expired, CD burning capability crapped, then the cooling fan doesn't even spin until it hits critical temperature, yes you read it.....critical, and finally the backlight for the LCD died....And I finally pronounce it dead.

Right now I have Presario M2000 CTO, after the warranty expired it haven't crapped on me yet, and I hope it doesn't....

at the moment my experience is of 50/50

rocthrttle
March 14th, 2011, 04:47 AM
www.compaqsucks.com

i have a presario that will not let me install ubuntu on it now....somthing about the screen not found.

KiwiNZ
March 14th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Sleep little thread sleep