PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test - Nervous!

Kimm
March 25th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I have my first (and hopefully last) drivers test on monday (which technically means tomorrow...), and I am VERY nervous...

Somehow I have a strong feeling that it is going to go well, I feel secure in my driving... but at the same time I cant help imagening that I will fail...
I gues its only natural before something like this, especially since a friend of mine had his test yesterday (or actually two days ago (I havnt gone to bed yet... obviously)) and passed. And I am pretty much the last one in my class to get the license (besides three others that don't seem very interested in getting it), which means that I have hear more stories about evil examiners than any of the others :(

Anyway... somehow, talking about how nervous I feel somehow, strangely, puts my mind off the subject...

ubuntu27
March 25th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Don't worry. Driving is not hard, it is easy. :)

You'll be alright.

ComplexNumber
March 25th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I have my first (and hopefully last) drivers test on monday (which technically means tomorrow...), and I am VERY nervous...

Somehow I have a strong feeling that it is going to go well, I feel secure in my driving... but at the same time I cant help imagening that I will fail...
I gues its only natural before something like this, especially since a friend of mine had his test yesterday (or actually two days ago (I havnt gone to bed yet... obviously)) and passed. And I am pretty much the last one in my class to get the license (besides three others that don't seem very interested in getting it), which means that I have hear more stories about evil examiners than any of the others :(

Anyway... somehow, talking about how nervous I feel somehow, strangely, puts my mind off the subject...
everyone feels nervous before their driving test. everyone. basically, you are merely trying to pass the test. you are not there to show them you know how to drive well. that may well sound silly, but believe me, you don't learn to drive until after you've passed your test and you're on your own in the car. i remember driving to college shortly after i passed my test, and i was really nervous driving without someone there to guide me.

DoctorMO
March 25th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I failed the theory test, got the hazard perception with good marks but the multiple choice tripped me up. I hate exams. so basicly I failed the part that was really easy even essex girls pass it, and passed the 'watch out for this bit' of the test. rather daft I feel.

I walk and cycle now.

%hMa@?b<C
March 25th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I failed the theory test, got the hazard perception with good marks but the multiple choice tripped me up. I hate exams. so basicly I failed the part that was really easy even essex girls pass it, and passed the 'watch out for this bit' of the test. rather daft I feel.

I walk and cycle now.

the written exam in USA is a joke. I got 20/20.

Bloodfen Razormaw
March 25th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Why be nervous? Haven't you seen the way most people drive? If those people can pass their tests, it shows how little they mean. Basically, just try to kill less than 20 people. That puts you in the upper tier of the vast majority of drivers who consider themselves skilled.

LookTJ
March 25th, 2007, 04:28 AM
the written exam in USA is a joke. I got 20/20.

Sorry if it ot.

Maybe that's why there's so many crazy drivers here. :S

Tyche
March 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM
A lot depends on the examiner as well as how well you've been trained. When I took my (first) test it was in the middle of a January blizzard in Rochester, NY. The examiner chatted on about the U.S. Air Force as I went through the various maneuvers. Then I came to a "Z" shaped intersection where my direction was through traffic and the cross street had stop signs. Because of the slippery conditions I slowed down. Unfortunately, I was driving a standard shift and dropped below the stall point. The car stalled out (automatic failure in NY at that time), so I down-shifted into 2nd gear (second automatic failure in NY - shifting in the middle of an intersection), popped the clutch and continued on. I avoided the garbage truck on the right side of the road, ducked in front of it to avoid the oncoming car in the left lane, turned the corner and stopped in front of the DMV office.

The instructor I had had was a former DMV examiner, and went over to chat with the examiner I had had. When he came back, he informed me that I had passed the test with flying colors (he wasn't supposed to tell me that. At that time one didn't find out for about 2 weeks, and that in the mail). So, I told him what happened and he had to pull the car over, he was laughing so hard. He then said that he would have to invite the examiner for coffee after I got my license in the mail and tell him what he'd missed.

My only explanation is that, because I reacted immediately to a situation beyond my control and KEPT control of the vehicle, thereby avoiding potential accidents, he saw the potential automatic failures as necessary.

Go in with confidence in yourself and your skills. You can do it.