PDA

View Full Version : Education (Changing Careers) Info Request

Phototrek1
March 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Hi,
I hope this is an acceptable place to post this. I'm thinking of changing careers and ditching my dangerous job. I'm looking to either get a BS in Networking Technology or AASCIS/Network in Administration. The only way for me to get the education is through an online college. I'm thinking of Kaplan online. However, i would like to get my feet wet in the indrustry throu an entry level job if possible. Also i would like to know how the job outlook looks like in the Cleveland Area. Cleveland is my home town and most my family lives there. Sorry for all the questions, but nobody is college educated in my family. My parents don't believe in college and wouldn't sign the Fafta forms. So i've been stuck working at job's i hate and paying for core community college classes out of pocket. Now that i'm 26 and finally free from them holding me back i can now go back to college. However, i'm in uncharted waters and i need some info on what i can actually do with my degree and where i can go with it and what types of jobs can i apply the degree to. I'm serious I really do not know.

Thanks

TheIdiotThatIsMe
March 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I believe any major city should have a decent amount of openings for technology related fields (although dont hold me to that!). Even Youngstown, which is infamous for it's terrible economy and harsh career conditions has quite a few openings for fields in networking, information tech, and programming.

If you'd like to take a look at the current level of jobs out there, I would definitely suggest getting an account at Monster.com (yes I know, seems silly, but it's actually quite a useful tool). I use it to keep an eye out for job positions in my area, so I can try and get out of this minimum wage pizza shop.

One thing I have learned from my whole one semester of college (dont ask), is that often times it matters to employers more that you *have* a degree, than necessarily what the degree is, as long as it's in a related field. Having a degree shows your potential employers that you are dedicated, and have a well rounded education and a skill set related to the field. After you obtain your degree, you may still have to do an entry level job, but the good news is it will most likely be related to your studies, and will give you real hands on experience, and that will help you elevate your oppurtunities and advancement at a much higher rate than going into entry level for an unskilled position or without a degree. Education is important! That's why I'm pushing to do at least part time at a local college starting again in Fall.

Phototrek1
June 13th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Sorry for long reply. I had a little life event and forgot that I posted. So again thanks. Also, by the way I got accepted into Cleveland State University BS BA CIS Info Systems Degree Program. Yea. All I need is a job to go too college. :)

Frumious Boojum
June 13th, 2008, 01:28 PM
One thing you may want to take into consideration -- online classes aren't always more convenient than they sound.

I had two this past quarter and had even less free time than I've ever had as a result.

A lot of online classes overall are just a lot more difficult than a traditional in-class course. In fact, it may make you feel a bit cheated in your money. It's sometimes like paying a few hundred dollars for the privalege of reading a $30 book.

My first course was the worst -- this was in the very early days, when online learning was a rather new concept for colleges. It was supposed to be a course covering Flash. The instructor decided that we were going to meet in a private AOL group chat every Wednesday night. So, I show up the first night and he gives a lot of brief introductory messages before he left. Then, the next week came and we hadn't received a single assignment. And he never showed up again. He was also the head of the department -- that was his last quarter as head.

Not trying to scare you away from online learning. It's just something that really isn't for everybody and in most cases still has way too much room for improvement before I can consider any of my classes to ever equal in-class experience. I've always have had more success going into night classes than doing online courses.

Phototrek1
June 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Sorry for the bad online class experience. Hopefully you got at least grade or a refund. Thanks