PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a pet dog

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 04:26 AM
The title is pretty self-explanatory, I suppose, but here's a little background;

All throughout my childhood, I'd always wanted a pet; a cat, a dog, anything. But, it just so happens that my father is scared sh**less of anything that moves and is not human (he got bitten by a dog when he was little and never got over it :rolleyes:). So, because of that, I was never able to get a pet. However, I'm moving out of my parents' house in a couple of months and I think it'll be the perfect time to get a dog, and I'm pretty excited about it.

After much consideration, looking around, talking to a lot of people, I've decided that I want an Alaskan Malamute. From the research I've done, it seems to be a very compatible companion for me (1.) they're partial to their owners, but cautious of everyone else, especially other animals. 2.) Very intelligent dogs. powerful, almost predatory in some situations. 3.) not very vocal. 4.) Very independent, individual-istic, and feisty...they trust their own judgement, and a lot of other things). I can feel that this just may be the right breed for me.

Now, in that light, I've got a few questions, having never owned a pet:

Should I get a pup or a full grown for my first dog? (pups are harder to train, but a full grown would pass away sooner, which is horribly sad. Are there any other factors to this?)
I know that it's better to buy from a professional breede than a pet store. How would I go about finding a good breeder? How do I make sure that he knows his stuff? That he's credible, trustable, legitimate?
As pet owners, what other tips do you have? Are there any other questions I should be asking? This is really important to me, so I want to do it right.
What can I expect in terms of pricing? I'm not afraid to pay out the wazoo for a great companion, but if I buy from a breeder, what kind of prices should I expect? in the $500 range? Higher?

I'll add more questions if I come up with them. Oh, and the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Malamute) if anyone is interested.

mouseboyx
March 24th, 2007, 04:35 AM
A pup would defiantly be more fun, I don't really think it matters where you get your dog from as long as your dog loves you and you love your dog. I'm not exactly sure about dogs though because I've only had cats.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Well, for one thing, you can't really get Alaskan Malamutes at pet stores...they're not a very common breed.

But even if that weren't the case, I'm pretty sure it's better to buy from a breeder who actually cares about the quality of the dogs they're breeding rather than just going mainly for the profits...

m.musashi
March 24th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Big step. A dog is like a kid in many ways. If you are not sure you can manage a kid then think twice about a dog. If you travel, you will have to either take him along or find a sitter. That is my biggest hassle. We usually end up not going anywhere. I don't want to burst your bubble but just make sure you are ready. If so, my thoughts on your questions.

I would suggest rescuing a dog. It is easily the coolest way to both get a good companion and help prevent the overpopulation of pets. You might not get a pure bread but unless you are into dog shows or something a pure-bread isn't worth it. They tend to have more health problems (over or inner breading). If you do buy from a breeder (never a pet store) you should take time to interview them. Visit their home or whatever, tour the grounds, ask lots of questions and try to get a feeling. You can usually tell a good breeder from a less than reputable one. One big clue is that the breeder will interview you too. If they just want to unload the dogs and don't care who is buying I would say that's a good indication they are not reputable. A good breeder cares about who buys their dogs. They may even have a contract you have to sign about how you will care for the dog. Of course they can't really enforce it but it's the principle.

Anyway, my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

EDIT: oh, and get and read a few books.

Bloodfen Razormaw
March 24th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Go with an adult dog. Something 18 months old enough to not pee all over your house and will still be around for a while.

natedawg
March 24th, 2007, 04:53 AM
If given the choice I would get a dog from a breeder. Although purebred dogs cost a fortune. I agree with m.musashi. Having a dog is like having a kid. If you have or plan on having a full time job then make sure you have a good sized yard with a fence. If you plan on making it an indoor dog then your going to have to have the time to let it out every four or five hours.

Tip: take the time to train your dog. It might be a big hassle to train it but you won't regret it in the long run. I hate going over to my friends house and seeing his dog rule the house and jump all over the furniture. Be sure your dog knows you are the master/ leader of the pack.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Big step. A dog is like a kid in many ways. If you are not sure you can manage a kid then think twice about a dog. If you travel, you will have to either take him along or find a sitter. That is my biggest hassle. We usually end up not going anywhere. I don't want to burst your bubble but just make sure you are ready. If so, my thoughts on your questions.

I would suggest rescuing a dog. It is easily the coolest way to both get a good companion and help prevent the overpopulation of pets. You might not get a pure bread but unless you are into dog shows or something a pure-bread isn't worth it. They tend to have more health problems (over or inner breading). If you do buy from a breeder (never a pet store) you should take time to interview them. Visit their home or whatever, tour the grounds, ask lots of questions and try to get a feeling. You can usually tell a good breeder from a less than reputable one. One big clue is that the breeder will interview you too. If they just want to unload the dogs and don't care who is buying I would say that's a good indication they are not reputable. A good breeder cares about who buys their dogs. They may even have a contract you have to sign about how you will care for the dog. Of course they can't really enforce it but it's the principle.

Anyway, my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

EDIT: oh, and get and read a few books.
I totally agree about the responsibility thing. I know it'll be tough of course, but worth the sweat and tears in the end. I don't travel much, so I'm fine on that front.

As for the pure breed part...I'm not against rescuing a dog, but I am concerned about matching the dog's temperament with my own. I'll be honest; I'm a very isolated person. I don't do well with a lot of people because I find them boring, shallow, and insufferable. I really need to get a dog that will be compatible with me, so I wanted to stick to as close to pure as possible...I really wouldn't mind rescuing a near pure-breed Malamute...but I seem to be stuck on this breed though. Best match for myself that I've found. Thanks for the tips about breeders. And yes, I plan to read plenty of books :)

Go with an adult dog. Something 18 months old enough to not pee all over your house and will still be around for a while.

1 vote for adult, noted.

I added a question about $Prices$ in the first post.

@natedawg: yes, I agree with you. If I get a pup, I will of course train it, no question about it. So far I have 1 vote for an adult dog, none for pups. I agree with the excercise tips too. malamutes are very active dogs so we'll probably be going out for runs every day.

daynah
March 24th, 2007, 05:08 AM
That breed is also going to require a hella amount of exercise, you do realize this, correct?

I have a book on dog breeds (which oddly enough my breed of dog isn't in there. Shar Pei is a fairly new breed) recommends for the AM "a few miles daily."

That's for not just the health, which often times you can pay off, but also for the happiness of the dog. We know quite well that money will never bring happiness.

A dog will not be able to get "a few miles daily" in a large backyard, I hope you realize. Any dog in the "moderate" category is going to HAVE to be taken out for a walk every single day, even it's one of the more lazy breed of working dogs, say... St. Bernard.

The laziness is one of the top factors of picking out my dog. I have to have a dog that isn't gonna be up all on me wanting a walk (one of those litte... terrier things) or going to get all depressed and fat like a big dog that can only run circles in a yard.

Do you run a few miles daily now?

What makes you think you're going to after you get a dog? Why would a ball of fuzz change how many years of habits?

Alaskan Malamute is a hardcore breed of dog, and they have hardcore fans (they're like the Linux Fans of the dog world, there are some other breeds like that also). But it's a "hardcore" breed like that for a reason. They're friggin' tough to take care of.

Start easy. I'm going to assume that you sit behind your computer a lot on your butt (not that bad of an assumtion, that's where I see you a lot). I'm also going to assume you wanted a big dog, because you picked out a big dog...

Let's see... Pyrenean Mountain Dog (great family dog, easy to train), Shar Pei (ugly when grown, also family dog, snore, sometimes aloof), Kerry Blue Terrier (not very manly looking but still is not in the "small" category. minimal exercise!, doesn't shed, stubborn, affectionate, reliable). Elkhound (pretty scary looking I think. "high achiever" in obedience training, affectionate), Irish Wolfhound (looks old all the time, known for little exercise required, stubborn)

If you picked the Alaskan because it's considered "manly," not because it's seen as "big," what about the Boston Terrier (not a true terrier, it's prety quiet, easy to train), or the bull dog (loyal, but strong willed... but then again it's not that big is it?). The pug also needs even less exercise (carefree, affectionate, intelligent, easy to train, snores.)

Okay, so I hope you keep those dogs in mind, ya? Think over that Alaskan Malamute. Maybe you're an obsessive runner and I just don't know that about you... but I always suggest people get an "easy" dog. AKA, no greyhounds with their mental baggage, though new dog owners so desperately want to save the greyhounds and what not.

I also suggest not getting a dog until you're actually moved in. Give you time to get used to your place and THEN get used to your dog.

Dogs require a life style change for those who have never had them (which always amazes those who have). Crate training a dog, if you choose to do so, is one of the most annoying things in the world, because you can't just randomly crash at someone's house EVER, and you have to make trips to your house all the time to let your dog out to tinkle.

What about if there's a natural disaster, do you have a plan for your dog? That's a lot of money and emotional investment to be leaving out in the backyard. People steal Shar Peis (my dog) all the time, also.

Can you afford a bred dog? Really the temperment is more in the training than the genetics. You can turn a well bred dog bad, and you can make a wicked dog perfect, it's all in the time you give it. Can you give it the time? Where are you going to take it to doggie kindergarden? Can you afford to buy the dog and the classes?

Have you set aside money for when it eats a calla lily (poisonous, stomach has to be pumped with coal)?

Don't just SAY yes. Write the money out. Write it out AND the cost of the house. Ince you get inthe house and start noticing "Oh, I need to get a _____" have your doggie expenses tacked to the fridge and start thinking about it.

My dog is allergic to beef, he has to eat special expensive lamb food. What if your dog has to do that? Every two weeks buy a $50 bag of dog food? What about the heartworm medicine? The flea medicine?

And then, back to the beginning... can you walk him "a few" (meaning more than one) miles every single day, day after day?

PS: "family dog" is a term for that glorious combination of dog that generally doesn't get too rough, is really easy to train, someone could hit and the dog stays pretty carefree, and the dog doesn't get possesive over one person, but realizes that multiple people are it's owner. Some people wont want a family dog, like people looking for guard dogs, or people who like a dog that is "stubborn" or a dog that "acts more like a cat than a dog," like a Shar Pei.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 05:31 AM
thanks for taking the time daynah. I'll address a few of those things;

- The recommended for the AM to be happy is actually about a mile per day; a lot of the sources I visited when searching for dog breeds said this. Of course this varies by dog. Some will want more, some less.

- One of the reasons I picked this dog was because of it's excercise needs. I used to be in really good shape 2-3 years ago, at which point I stopped playing sports due to lack of time. Now, I'm fairly out of shape, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it. A running partner would be welcome :) I used to run 3-4 miles a day when I was in shape, so I don't think I'll have a problem. I'll have to start out slow, with maybe a mile per day, and alternating between walking and jogging, but I'll work up to straight jogging, then more miles, and then finally, twice a day.

- I know AM's are tough. But the personality traits I mentioned in the OP are what make it that way, and I'm looking forward to it. I have similar tendencies, so I think it should be okay...

- the size was a factor in considering the breed, yeah. Big dogs are more fun to play with. you can wrestle with them, and it's great fun, I love that. AM's are large, very strong, and very very friendly.

- Thanks for the breed suggestions. Pyrenean: I considered it, but opted for the AM instead for a few reasons (Pyrenees are not that easy to train, bark a lot, tend to drool, need a lot of grooming, and some other stuff as well)Shar Pei: not really my kind of dog. I'll check out the other ones as well, thanks.

- I most definitley did not pick it because it was "manly" :) That kind of self-image confirmation BS doesn't really fly with me. I picked it for the reasons I stated in the OP, which were:
1.) they're partial to their owners, but cautious of everyone else, especially other animals. 2.) Very intelligent dogs. powerful, almost predatory in some situations. 3.) not very vocal. 4.) Very independent, individual-istic, and feisty...they trust their own judgement, and a lot of other reasons.

- Yeah, I'll be getting the dog probably a couple of months after I'm moved in

- For all the practical stuff, like natural disasters; Of course I haven't thought about that yet. I'm still reading up on training and practicalities, but rest assured, I'll take care of those.

- I can probably afford a bred dog, which is why I added the price question in the OP. I have plenty of money stashed away just for this purpose (I've been saving probably since I was in middle school!). I would of course rather use less than more, but I'll spend as much as I need to.

- Of course I'll compensate for stuff like allergies and whatnot if necessary. I mean, if it turns out that I get a completely sick dog that needs thousand of dollars of attention, I'll need to have a word with whoever I bought it from :) If I can't take care of the dog, then I'll do the smart thing and put it somewhere that he/she can be taken care of rather than creating a miserable life for both of us.

Thanks for your feedback :) but you really just posed a lot of questions for me (which is great). I'd appreciate it if you could answer some of the ones I had as well.

m.musashi
March 24th, 2007, 05:34 AM
daynah: a lot of really good points there.

As for getting a dog that will mesh with you it's not so much breed as time and traing. Sure, some dogs are just hard to get along with but do some reading, a lot of reading, and you will get a good idea. As for rescuing, everyone I know that has rescued has ended up with a wonderful dog. It's almost like they know you saved their life and they want to return the favor. Go to some pet shops that don't sell dogs but do invite groups to come in with rescue dogs. Petsmart here does this. I see a lot of really cool dogs there (and my wife says no, no, no each time - one is enough she says). Plan to go 20 times or more. One day, you will find a dog and just click. That is the one you get regarless of breed. Of course if you are wanting a big dog you probably won't click with a small one so it's not really a worry. But if you do well at least you got a good friend.

kerry_s
March 24th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Save a dog, if you can adopt. All my dogs are adopted and let me tell you there loyal as hell. I do not much care for breeders, there just in it for the money. There are many dogs that deserve a chance to live. Just take a look at your local shelter and they might have what you want. I always recommend the shelter over a store or breeder. The choice is yours of course, but you could save a life. :)

cowlip
March 24th, 2007, 05:47 AM
your malamute will probably hate other dogs but be a wonderful companion to humans, so just be careful taking it to the park. You also have to be very strict with them in terms of dominance because they will test their boundaries.

I had a half Malamute / Samoyed growing up, from the pound.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 05:54 AM
daynah: a lot of really good points there.

As for getting a dog that will mesh with you it's not so much breed as time and traing. Sure, some dogs are just hard to get along with but do some reading, a lot of reading, and you will get a good idea. As for rescuing, everyone I know that has rescued has ended up with a wonderful dog. It's almost like they know you saved their life and they want to return the favor. Go to some pet shops that don't sell dogs but do invite groups to come in with rescue dogs. Petsmart here does this. I see a lot of really cool dogs there (and my wife says no, no, no each time - one is enough she says). Plan to go 20 times or more. One day, you will find a dog and just click. That is the one you get regarless of breed. Of course if you are wanting a big dog you probably won't click with a small one so it's not really a worry. But if you do well at least you got a good friend.
I'm definitely considering rescuing a dog (there's even some malamute-specific rescue associations), but I want to keep my options open. We don't have a petsmart here...I think we have a PetCo.

I'll have to disagree though, on the contention that the personality of a dog is more training based then genetic. You can train to eliminate or create certain traits and basic behaviors (which requires way too much time; I would have to stay at home all the time while training), but they can't really account completely for personality. Genetics play a huge role in this...but of course, as you said, if I just "click" with a dog, then that's fine too :)

Save a dog, if you can adopt. All my dogs are adopted and let me tell you there loyal as hell. I do not much care for breeders, there just in it for the money. There are many dogs that deserve a chance to live. Just take a look at your local shelter and they might have what you want. I always recommend the shelter over a store or breeder. The choice is yours of course, but you could save a life. :)
Yes, I'm considering rescuing a dog as well. I'd disagree that breeders are in it for the money; some are, of course, but many (if not most) genuinely care about the dogs, and I'd make sure of this before buying from one. I'm against buying from shops. Rescuing is an option as well :).

your malamute will probably hate other dogs but be a wonderful companion to humans, so just be careful taking it to the park. You also have to be very strict with them in terms of dominance because they will test their boundaries.

I had a half Malamute / Samoyed growing up, from the pound.
yeah, I'm aware of that, and fine with it. I was considering getting a female, who are less dominant, but I decided I wanted a dominant dog after all.

m.musashi
March 24th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I'm definitely considering rescuing a dog (there's even some malamute-specific rescue associations), but I want to keep my options open. We don't have a petsmart here...I think we have a PetCo.
I think PetCo does this too.

I'll have to disagree though, on the contention that the personality of a dog is more training based then genetic. You can train to eliminate or create certain traits and basic behaviors (which requires way too much time; I would have to stay at home all the time while training), but they can't really account completely for personality. Genetics play a huge role in this...but of course, as you said, if I just "click" with a dog, then that's fine too :)
Allow me to offer an example. I have an Australian Shepard (and believe me if I knew then what I know now I would not have bought pure breed - I love my dog but...). Anyway, Aussies are herding dogs. When he was a puppy he would chase us around, nip at our feet and such. Well, we trained that right out of him. Yes, genetics are part of the dog but a smart dog can be trained to do or not do a lot. They will still have their instinct and such but as long as you are not trying to totally change a dog you can do a lot.

Of course you are right that you can't just do anything with any dog. If they are opposite of what you want you will never turn them around.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Allow me to offer an example. I have an Australian Shepard (and believe me if I knew then what I know now I would not have bought pure breed - I love my dog but...). Anyway, Aussies are herding dogs. When he was a puppy he would chase us around, nip at our feet and such. Well, we trained that right out of him. Yes, genetics are part of the dog but a smart dog can be trained to do or not do a lot. They will still have their instinct and such but as long as you are not trying to totally change a dog you can do a lot.

Yes, but that is a behavioral trait, not a personality trait. Things I've mentioned that are personality traits of the AM:

- Intelligence. Like me, this dog is easily bored and needs mental stimulation
- Friendly to owner, cautious of other people, hostile to other animals
- Predatory and powerful (predator instincts can be dampened with training, but no totally erased
- Vocality. AM's rarely ever bark (maybe never). They howl sometimes.
- Independence/Individuality. Dog can think for itself and often relies on its own instincts. It's like dealing with a person that has their own will

I'm sure there are other examples that I'm not thinking of, but those are pretty good. They're things that you can't really train for. you can try for some of them, but it'll take tremendous effort and time for probably mediocre results. Things like that are largely part of the breed.

m.musashi
March 24th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Okay, I see what you are getting at. I guess I should have read a bit more closely.

JanusGeminus
March 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM
. You might not get a pure bread but unless you are into dog shows or something a pure-bread isn't worth it.

That's not really being fare to pure-breeds though, They generally are bred for a purpose. I'd suggest for a companion dog a cavalier king Charles spaniel. But the genetics of that breed might not be best as they have some dreadful genetic diseases, Their Hearts are the main concern.

slimdog360
March 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I haven't read all the responses so forgive me If I'm repeating anything here.

Make sure that the dog you get isn't prone to any hereditary problem. Of course every breed will have its problems so don't get too worried. The best thing to do is to spend a little more if you have to and get the dog from a reputable breeder.

Breeders are not supposed to hand over the dogs till at least 8 weeks of age for various reasons. So you know that if the breeder offers to hand it over earlier then that, that they can't really be trusted.

Make sure you get the papers and everything to go with the dog so that you can know its past, and in turn know that it is pure bred.

ComplexNumber
March 24th, 2007, 08:43 AM
2.) Very intelligent dogs. powerful, almost predatory in some situations.
think carefully about this part. you have to watch for him/her trying to get the more dominant role.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
think carefully about this part. you have to watch for him/her trying to get the more dominant role.
yeah. They're mostly domineering over other animals and will submit to the owner pretty easily if trained right.

ComplexNumber
March 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
yeah. They're mostly domineering over other animals and will submit to the owner pretty easily if trained right.
there are certain rules. some of them include:
-NEVER let it get on your bed. from what i understand, if it is allowed to get on the bed, this is putting him/her on the same level as the alpha male.
-when going down the stairs or going through a door at the same time, make sure that he/she doesn't try to push past you.
-ensure that he/she is fed after you've eaten.

there are lots of others, but they are the ones that i remember.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 09:05 AM
well some of that is just folklore. I've been reading up on training and stuff.

The bed thing doesn't really apply. Letting a dog sleep on your bed doesn't really mean anything as long as you're clearly the alpha male in most circumstances. I simply wouldn't usually want him/her on the bed because I don't like sleeping in dog hair :)

the second one is true, that will reinforce your dominance if the dog is taught to wait. The merit of the action is in the waiting of the dog, not in you going first.

the last one is folklore as well. The dog really only cares about when he/she gets food. Unless both dog and owner are eating from the same food source, which is usually not the case, it doesn't matter. Dogs are usually very protective of their own food, which is basically just a survival instnct. He/she just needs to have their own, separate food supply.

ComplexNumber
March 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
regarding the first one, i did some reading up on that recently because my parents have a dog that tries for dominance. from all the sources that i've read, not letting it get on the bed is meant to be one of the most important of all.

The merit of the action is in the waiting of the dog, not in you going first. i got the impression that it had to do with the alpha male always going first and leading the pack. less dominant members go after the alpha male.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
that doesn't really make sense. Wanting to be in front seems to be a relative behavior that would arise from experience. The pack thing sounds like something the guy from Dog Whisperer would say.

I thought it was the concept of "competition" that constitutes this rule. My basic understanding of that rule is that in a new relationship, all actions are competitions and the "winner" of the competitions can assert dominance.

They're not literally competitions, but power struggles for dominance. Which is basically what training is.

edit: I looked up the bed thing. It really just depends on the dog and your relationship with it:

But here's the good news. My unscientific survey of veterinary behaviorists concluded that as long as your pets are good at sleeping with you, it's just fine to sleep with them. Pets are not going to get any uppity ideas just because you're all snoring together, they say. Dr. Marsha Reich, who has a private animal-behavior practice in Maryland, says she disagrees with the notion that your dog will try to dominate you if allowed in bed. "It has nothing to do with social status," she says. The dog, like the owner, just likes being cozy and having a soft place to sleep. "Unless a dog growls when you roll over, I don't have a problem with a dog in the bed."
http://www.slate.com/id/2108762/

I haven't looked at other sources, but I suspect they're similar.

same article:

Dog trainer Kathy Diamond Davis, in an article at veterinarypartner.com, writes that there's no reason a well-behaved dog shouldn't sleep on the bed. However, she recommends having the dog trained to reliably obey a "get off the bed" command, to be used in particular for those moments when "people want to be intimate." (For couples who don't use that command, she does not deal with the psychological damage the humans suffer when they find even their most fervent lovemaking doesn't wake the dog.)

ComplexNumber
March 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM
you may well find the occasional source that disagrees, but you can always have a look on google to verify that its true. even better, speak to a dog psychologist.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
you may well find the occasional site that disagrees with the norm, but you can always have a look on google to verify that its true.
that's how I found that article.

it pretty much just confirmed how I understood it; as long as you're the alpha in other situations throughout your daily life, then letting the dog sleep on your bed has no significance except for your bed gets messy if they shed. After all, dog packs sleep together all the time.

ComplexNumber
March 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
i'll leave it with you. just put in "dog dominant behaviour bed"(without the quotes) and read the hits where all of those words are listed. this is the main reason:

For people, the bed is just a place to sleep, but for dogs, it's one of the ways they figure out what their social status is in the household. http://www.dogproblems.com/

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM
i, too, never had pets when i was a kid. i've had four cats since and i can easily say they've been the very best parts of a pretty pleasant life.

when i read this "they're partial to their owners, but cautious of everyone else, especially other animals", i thought 'cat' imediately. people think they're aloof because they mostly aren't immediately friendly to people other than their owners (and regarding other animals, you would be kept up to date on every squirrel that comes in your yard).

just as my cats are the best part of my life, their deaths are the worst. i got my third cat when she was seven weeks old and she lived to be twenty-one and a half years old. i never thought i'd ever be able to love someone that much again. i was very wrong. shortly, after we moved into our house, through many strokes of fortune, we got huey and i love him more than anything. cats live longer than dogs (also, little dogs live longer than big dogs). if you have pets for the rest of your life (and you sound like the type of person who will), the more you can spread their deaths out, the less horrible pain you will have.

training a cat consists of a tour of the house - "there's a bed you can hide under when people come over, there's a bookcase you can jump up on when you're big enough and here's your litter box. if you need anything, just let me know." if you do go with a dog, get a puppy if you can. training them is where you'll bond with them the most.

there are certain rules. some of them include:
-NEVER let it get on your bed. from what i understand, if it is allowed to get on the bed, this is putting him/her on the same level as the alpha male.
-when going down the stairs or going through a door at the same time, make sure that he/she doesn't try to push past you.
-ensure that he/she is fed after you've eaten.

just like with dogs, there are certain rules that apply to cats:
- if he sleeps on the bed with you, NEVER let him stick his paw in your eye at 5:30 in the morning.
- when going down the stairs or going through a door at the same time, make sure you get out of his way, in time, as he goes racing past you.
- feed him first, if you want to eat in peace (alternatively, you can make a fort around your plate out of cereal boxes).

i also say go the rescue route. there are rescue societies for specific breeds, too. whatever you end up with, it will change your life much for the better. and even though my other three's deaths were the worst pain i have ever felt, it was still a price worth paying for the joy they brought me.

afljafa
March 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Nah - They don`t make much money when all is said and done. It`s an interest thing for a lot of them.

I agree though - pound puppies (or rehoused dogs) are great. It`s a wonderful thing to do. I have two strays that wandered into my life and never left.

To the thread starter - you really need two dogs. They keep each other company when you`re not around. Two dogs are easy - you feed them, pet them, walk them and give them a comfortable place to sleep. They`ll take care of everything else.

slimdog360
March 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
From my experience I found that after a while when you and the dog are in your roles, it doesnt really matter. I now let my dog jump up on my bed if he wants and it doesnt cause any confusion, but back in the day when he was still a pup I was very strict about that sort of thing.

With things like eating, I never really cared what order we ate in so long as when I was feeding him, I first made him sit (obviously after I tought the dog to sit) and wait till I put the food out. If he budged then I just took it back until he finally settled. I think its just about doing things like that, not letting the dog get over you until it knows its place.

edit: I suppose I should have also never be mean to the dog, never hit it, never scream at the top of your lungs at it, all that stuff. Personally I think that builds respect.

RudolfMDLT
March 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Just something that I found - we've had lots of dogs and I've found that the pavement specials, cross breeds, have the most spirit! Awesome dogs!

You've certainly done a lot of research - If I can give you some advice though. There are different personalities in each bread, so obviously books can't tell you everything. When you go to buy a dog look the dog in the eye, pet it on they head and play with it. If you two have chemistry then go for it.

I've found that going to the kenals or the vet or to a breader and looking at the crowd of dogs, I like finding the dog thats looking for me, the one with the sparkle in it's eyes and grin...

It's a very emotional way of picking a dog, but it's worked for all 6 our dogs!

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM
To the thread starter - you really need two dogs. They keep each other company when you`re not around. Two dogs are easy - you feed them, pet them, walk them and give them a comfortable place to sleep. They`ll take care of everything else.

LOL! one'll train the other and learn a lot while doing so.

WalmartSniperLX
March 24th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The title is pretty self-explanatory, I suppose, but here's a little background;

All throughout my childhood, I'd always wanted a pet; a cat, a dog, anything. But, it just so happens that my father is scared sh**less of anything that moves and is not human (he got bitten by a dog when he was little and never got over it :rolleyes:). So, because of that, I was never able to get a pet. However, I'm moving out of my parents' house in a couple of months and I think it'll be the perfect time to get a dog, and I'm pretty excited about it.

After much consideration, looking around, talking to a lot of people, I've decided that I want an Alaskan Malamute. From the research I've done, it seems to be a very compatible companion for me (1.) they're partial to their owners, but cautious of everyone else, especially other animals. 2.) Very intelligent dogs. powerful, almost predatory in some situations. 3.) not very vocal. 4.) Very independent, individual-istic, and feisty...they trust their own judgement, and a lot of other things). I can feel that this just may be the right breed for me.

I'll add more questions if I come up with them. Oh, and the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Malamute) if anyone is interested.

Malamutes are amazing animals. Ive been considering getting myself one. Ive done a lot of research and asked a friend who knew someone who owned one.

Anyways from what I know, a puppy is much easier to train than a full grown dog, ESPECIALLY a Malamute because their genetic material is more ancient than other dogs (closer related to the Wolf). Not saying theyre stupid but trying to fix a grown up Malamutes way of life isn't going to go down as easy as training a young pup since an older dog is used to living a certain way, and may also get bored with training processes.

As far as where to look for one I would try and adopt one first. There are soo many animals out there waiting to be put down. If you can't find one, however, I think most Malumute breeders may charge around or over $1,000. I looked around myself.

Theyre also very powerful but extremely loyal (according to my friend).

Anyways I own a Jack Russel/Poodle mix that my parents picked up from the humane society. haha hes tiny but so awesome!

As far as training and bringing the dog up, same rules apply to all dogs. Looks like they have already been posted so I wont go into detail. Just remember an important one that a lot of people ignore when buying a dog as a puppy is to never let is sleep in your bed. It may be cute when its little but when it grows up it will not be the same, and Malamutes (again like wolves) tend to be very challenging toward the owner for dominence. But really that goes for a lot of big dogs.

eljalill
March 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Since no-one else mentioned this, it might not be relevant, but I had to think of this, when I read your initial post,
and you said you want this kind of dog, becuase they care a lot for their owner, but not for anyoneor anything else...

I know of pets (mostly cats though), who had a hard time, when their human got a partner or a flatmate or a baby or so... One of my friends had a cat who went mental around the boyfriend, and someone I know had to get rid of the dog, because it couldn't accept a child to be an addition of the family and thought it to be a menace for example.

I am not sure whether this is relevant to you at all, but since you said you just move out of your parents' house, there might be a chance that your "family" gets an addition, and you might want to think about the fact, that your dog would have to cope with that.

Loungefly
March 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I wished I had stumbled on this thread sooner (been away from these forums a little too long I reckon).

This thread piqued my interest, primarily because I myself used to own an Alaskan Malamute and have known others who have. While I think they're great dogs overall, they're definitely not for everyone.

Some observations based on my own experience with them (some of these points were mentioned in the wiki article) -

1. They're very social animals and NOT well suited as guard dogs, much in the same way that a Labrador Retriever would make a poor guard dog.

2. They can be very headstrong and stubborn. While they can be trainable to a degree, they still do have this underlying "run free" streak in them and if they decide they want to do something (like take off through an open gate to explore the neighborhood) they're going to do it. Some people find this trait annoying and think this is a sign of a "stupid dog that won't listen". Knowing the history of the breed. I don't see it that way at all. They're very smart. It's just that they can quite often have a mind of their own, regardless of how much they care about their owners. This isn't the kind of dog that will hang around nearby when there is an open gate.

3. They eat A LOT. If you're one of those people that isn't prepared to spend a decent amount of money on food for them, then this definitely isn't the dog for you.

4. They're VERY strong and don't realize their own strength. If you plan on taking a Malamute for walks in parks and areas with other animals and lots of things going on around them, you may have a hard time keeping them from walking you :)

5. They need lots of physical activity and mental stimulation otherwise they will become bored easily and can be destructive... which can be more of an issue than with other breeds due to the Malamute's size and strength. This isn't the kind of dog that you can just leave alone in the yard for hours on end. They need to be around people.

6. If you don't like grooming and picking up clumps of hair all over the house in the Spring (assuming the dog spends a fair amount of time indoors of course) then this isn't the dog for you. Come spring time they'll be shedding their thick outer coat which requires a fair amount of brushing to get out completely. Lots of clumps of falling hair etc etc.

I bought mine from a breeder many years ago when he was 8 weeks old. I enrolled him in obedience classes when he was a few months old. While it did help somewhat, there still were a few problems down the line due to the breed's independent streak. I hate to think what it would have been like if he hadn't had any obedience classes at all.

I think daynah summed it up pretty well when he/she said:

Alaskan Malamute is a hardcore breed of dog, and they have hardcore fans (they're like the Linux Fans of the dog world, there are some other breeds like that also). But it's a "hardcore" breed like that for a reason. They're friggin' tough to take care of....

Very true. While they are definitely a sweet natured dog, they can be a lot of work and I wouldn't recommend this dog for a first time dog owner. I know it's tough when you have your heart set on one particular breed. I'm just giving you my take based on my experiences owning a Malamute. If you are determined to get one, I think it's almost a necessity (for your sanity) that you get one as a puppy and not an adult. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be smooth sailing that way. With this sort of dog though you'll just be making it harder for yourself if you get one that's already grown and even more set in it's ways.

Hate to make it sound like a nightmare. They really are great dogs overall, but it does require a certain kind of owner. They are a lot of work.

Interestingly I've also owned a couple of Boston Terriers (which daynah also mentioned). They're great dogs. It's true that they aren't considered a true terrier in the traditional sense (which is probably why they're the only "terrier" that isn't a member of the Terrier group in the AKC). Smart and extremely loyal and affectionate dogs. They're smallish, generally anywhere from 10-25 lbs. it can vary depending on how much bulldog a particular one has in them. Mine was 23 lbs and built like a tank. They're really affectionate yet fearless and if provoked they won't hesitate to attack a dog 5 times their size. They aren't the sort of dog that will go looking for a fight, but they will defintely not back down if challenged by another dog. I still have vivid memories of my uncle's Siberian Husky trying to aggresively assert his dominance over my BT. It didn't last long. His Husky got more than it bargained for. :P With people they may be a tad wary at first but will happily accept them once they realize that they are friendly (usually taking cues from their owners interaction with said strangers). They don't bark unnecessarily, not a yapper or a dog that barks just for the sake of barking, but they will bark to "sound the alarm" to alert their owners to visitors (wanted and unwanted ;) ). They tend to pick up training pretty easily. I've never been a huge fan of smaller dogs but I quickly became a fan of Boston Terriers after having owned one.

Anyhoo, good luck in your search. I tend to agree with what others in this thread have said in that I think it's a good idea to check out your local animal shelter as well (for reasons already given by others).

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM
just as my cats are the best part of my life, their deaths are the worst. i got my third cat when she was seven weeks old and she lived to be twenty-one and a half years old. i never thought i'd ever be able to love someone that much again. i was very wrong. shortly, after we moved into our house, through many strokes of fortune, we got huey and i love him more than anything. cats live longer than dogs (also, little dogs live longer than big dogs). if you have pets for the rest of your life (and you sound like the type of person who will), the more you can spread their deaths out, the less horrible pain you will have.
Yes, deaths are certainly the worst...I'm apprehensive of how bad that'll be. What do you mean by "spread their deaths out"?

training a cat consists of a tour of the house - "there's a bed you can hide under when people come over, there's a bookcase you can jump up on when you're big enough and here's your litter box. if you need anything, just let me know." if you do go with a dog, get a puppy if you can. training them is where you'll bond with them the most.
One vote for pup, noted.

just like with dogs, there are certain rules that apply to cats:
- if he sleeps on the bed with you, NEVER let him stick his paw in your eye at 5:30 in the morning.
- when going down the stairs or going through a door at the same time, make sure you get out of his way, in time, as he goes racing past you.
- feed him first, if you want to eat in peace (alternatively, you can make a fort around your plate out of cereal boxes).
nice :) You sound like a great cat person. I like cats as well, though I do prefer dogs. I think I'll wait till my second or third pet to get a cat.

i also say go the rescue route. there are rescue societies for specific breeds, too. whatever you end up with, it will change your life much for the better. and even though my other three's deaths were the worst pain i have ever felt, it was still a price worth paying for the joy they brought me.
Thanks for the great feedback.

But you said get a puppy and then you said rescue a dog...it's really hard to rescue a puppy :) so which one do you really recommend?

Thanks again :)

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Nah - They don`t make much money when all is said and done. It`s an interest thing for a lot of them.

I agree though - pound puppies (or rehoused dogs) are great. It`s a wonderful thing to do. I have two strays that wandered into my life and never left.

LOL. It's my first experience with a large pet, so I think I'll stick with one :)

From my experience I found that after a while when you and the dog are in your roles, it doesnt really matter. I now let my dog jump up on my bed if he wants and it doesnt cause any confusion, but back in the day when he was still a pup I was very strict about that sort of thing.

With things like eating, I never really cared what order we ate in so long as when I was feeding him, I first made him sit (obviously after I tought the dog to sit) and wait till I put the food out. If he budged then I just took it back until he finally settled. I think its just about doing things like that, not letting the dog get over you until it knows its place.

edit: I suppose I should have also never be mean to the dog, never hit it, never scream at the top of your lungs at it, all that stuff. Personally I think that builds respect.

Yeah I agree with all of those :) just exactly along my train of thought.

daynah
March 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Loungefly.

The easiest breed of dog is a mutt. But don't get one from PetCo, it's kinda skanky there (no offence to PetCo employees). I know for a fact they let the hamsters breed, I don't know how they take care of the dogs. What about a rescue dog? I've never had problems with a mutt, nor female dogs. I have had problems with a male gundog (English Springer) we had, when I was a baby it apparently tried to attack me more than once, thus resulting in it being put to sleep.

I hear whisperings that my parents used to be very active in the show dog scene until this incident and there are dog trophies in the basement, but that it all stopped after "the Great Samson." (the dog that attacked me). So I've been raised on heels and clicks and dog instruments and first name basises with the vets... and whining with my parents about, not having a pet period, but about not being able to get a hamster because the dog will eat it. (dog's come first).

If you get an AM, promise me you get a female. Promise me you take it to classes for a very long time, longer than you think it needs it, longer than even the teacher thinks it needs it.

I think it's very important you remember the context that you're getting the dog in. You're getting two big life changes. A new house, living on your own, and basically a big, furry, angsty, and possibly violent teenager.

Oh, and don't worry about potty training. It's only hard for the people who are only half trying it. It's much easier than getting up and running every day. If you can remember to do that, you can remember to take your dog outside every hour or two for the first two weeks. People who couldn't potty train their dogs are people who ignored their dogs. I felt bad about being so pessamistic, wanted to give you an uplifting smile. I doubt you'll have urine over your house often as long as you cut somethin' out! :)

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Yes, deaths are certainly the worst...I'm apprehensive of how bad that'll be. What do you mean by "spread their deaths out"?

arithmetic. if cats live 20 years and dogs 10, over the same amount of time, more dogs will die than cats. sorry i didn't make that more clear.

But you said get a puppy and then you said rescue a dog...it's really hard to rescue a puppy :) so which one do you really recommend?

either one. the bonding experience you would have with the puppy would be tremendous. and, adopting a pound dog is a socially responsible thing to do. i think you'll find that, at certain times of the year, there are more rescue pups than one might assume.

Thanks again :)

my pleasure.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Just something that I found - we've had lots of dogs and I've found that the pavement specials, cross breeds, have the most spirit! Awesome dogs!

You've certainly done a lot of research - If I can give you some advice though. There are different personalities in each bread, so obviously books can't tell you everything. When you go to buy a dog look the dog in the eye, pet it on they head and play with it. If you two have chemistry then go for it.

I've found that going to the kenals or the vet or to a breader and looking at the crowd of dogs, I like finding the dog thats looking for me, the one with the sparkle in it's eyes and grin...

It's a very emotional way of picking a dog, but it's worked for all 6 our dogs!
thanks for the advice, I plan on doing just that :)

Anyways from what I know, a puppy is much easier to train than a full grown dog, ESPECIALLY a Malamute because their genetic material is more ancient than other dogs (closer related to the Wolf). Not saying theyre stupid but trying to fix a grown up Malamutes way of life isn't going to go down as easy as training a young pup since an older dog is used to living a certain way, and may also get bored with training processes.
Full grown dogs are usually trained...but yes, puppies are easier to train. The malamute isn't really closely to the wolf any more than other dogs, but they definitely are a very old breed. It's good to train a dog young of course, but the reasons malamutes can be difficult is that they have an independent streak....which I highly value.

As far as where to look for one I would try and adopt one first. There are soo many animals out there waiting to be put down. If you can't find one, however, I think most Malumute breeders may charge around or over $1,000. I looked around myself.
Thanks for that info. That's quite pricey :) I may indeed try to adopt one first.

Theyre also very powerful but extremely loyal (according to my friend).
Yup. VERY powerful. In strength competitions, they regularly pull weights adding up to several thousand pounds.

As far as training and bringing the dog up, same rules apply to all dogs. Looks like they have already been posted so I wont go into detail. Just remember an important one that a lot of people ignore when buying a dog as a puppy is to never let is sleep in your bed. It may be cute when its little but when it grows up it will not be the same, and Malamutes (again like wolves) tend to be very challenging toward the owner for dominence. But really that goes for a lot of big dogs.
The more realistic ETA is don't let them on your bed until they are trained and recognize you as alpha in most situations.

Again, they're not really like wolves at all in terms of temperament or anything. Malamutes also don't challenge for dominance after it's been established, they're usually very complacent toward their owner. Thanks for all the feedback, especially the part about breeders :)

mips
March 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Thats a big dog and it's gonna need lots of space & excercise.
Dogs are a big responsibility and you might have to adjust your lifestyle slightly.
I would usually say go get a dog from the spca/pound.

I'm not sure about the wheather where you live but with that much hair the dog might require haircuts in summer. Someone in my road has siberian huskies (nice dogs) and they get haircuts throughout summer. Unless you can get a shorter haired version of the dog.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I know of pets (mostly cats though), who had a hard time, when their human got a partner or a flatmate or a baby or so... One of my friends had a cat who went mental around the boyfriend, and someone I know had to get rid of the dog, because it couldn't accept a child to be an addition of the family and thought it to be a menace for example.
Thanks. I don't think I'll be living with anyone, but I will definitely consider that before getting a dog

I am not sure whether this is relevant to you at all, but since you said you just move out of your parents' house, there might be a chance that your "family" gets an addition, and you might want to think about the fact, that your dog would have to cope with that.

no, I'm really moving out completely. Thanks :)

@Loungefly: Answering yours will probably take me a while, lots of info in there.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I wished I had stumbled on this thread sooner (been away from these forums a little too long I reckon).

This thread piqued my interest, primarily because I myself used to own an Alaskan Malamute and have known others who have. While I think they're great dogs overall, they're definitely not for everyone.

Some observations based on my own experience with them (some of these points were mentioned in the wiki article) -

1. They're very social animals and NOT well suited as guard dogs, much in the same way that a Labrador Retriever would make a poor guard dog.

2. They can be very headstrong and stubborn. While they can be trainable to a degree, they still do have this underlying "run free" streak in them and if they decide they want to do something (like take off through an open gate to explore the neighborhood) they're going to do it. Some people find this trait annoying and think this is a sign of a "stupid dog that won't listen". Knowing the history of the breed. I don't see it that way at all. They're very smart. It's just that they can quite often have a mind of their own, regardless of how much they care about their owners. This isn't the kind of dog that will hang around nearby when there is an open gate.
Yes, I knew this about them and actually like it. One of my reasons for choosing this dog. They are really intelligent and need mental stimulation. I love that. And don't worry, you're plenty in time for the thread, it just started last night :) grows fast, doesnt it?

3. They eat A LOT. If you're one of those people that isn't prepared to spend a decent amount of money on food for them, then this definitely isn't the dog for you.

4. They're VERY strong and don't realize their own strength. If you plan on taking a Malamute for walks in parks and areas with other animals and lots of things going on around them, you may have a hard time keeping them from walking you :)
Yeah, I was aware. Looking forward to that :D I'm fine with spending money on food. How much did you cost you per month, on average? Just wondering.

5. They need lots of physical activity and mental stimulation otherwise they will become bored easily and can be destructive... which can be more of an issue than with other breeds due to the Malamute's size and strength. This isn't the kind of dog that you can just leave alone in the yard for hours on end. They need to be around people.
Another reason I picked this dog :) We'll be doing plenty of running and wrestling and playing around.

6. If you don't like grooming and picking up clumps of hair all over the house in the Spring (assuming the dog spends a fair amount of time indoors of course) then this isn't the dog for you. Come spring time they'll be shedding their thick outer coat which requires a fair amount of brushing to get out completely. Lots of clumps of falling hair etc etc.
I don't mind this at all; especially since for the most part, it's only twice a year that this really happens. I've heard that when they do shed, they really shed. About a grocery bag full per week is what I heard (during their shedding time).

I bought mine from a breeder many years ago when he was 8 weeks old. I enrolled him in obedience classes when he was a few months old. While it did help somewhat, there still were a few problems down the line due to the breed's independent streak. I hate to think what it would have been like if he hadn't had any obedience classes at all.
Yes, I'll definitely get obedience classes as well. How much did you buy him for?

I think daynah summed it up pretty well when he/she said:

Very true. While they are definitely a sweet natured dog, they can be a lot of work and I wouldn't recommend this dog for a first time dog owner. I know it's tough when you have your heart set on one particular breed. I'm just giving you my take based on my experiences owning a Malamute. If you are determined to get one, I think it's almost a necessity (for your sanity) that you get one as a puppy and not an adult. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be smooth sailing that way. With this sort of dog though you'll just be making it harder for yourself if you get one that's already grown and even more set in it's ways.
I understand your recommendation. Personally, I think I can still do it, but I will definitely discuss it with some professionals and consider it more.

Hate to make it sound like a nightmare. They really are great dogs overall, but it does require a certain kind of owner. They are a lot of work.
I understand that, and embrace it. I think I'm up for the job...

Interestingly I've also owned a couple of Boston Terriers (which daynah also mentioned). They're great dogs. It's true that they aren't considered a true terrier in the traditional sense (which is probably why they're the only "terrier" that isn't a member of the Terrier group in the AKC). Smart and extremely loyal and affectionate dogs. They're smallish, generally anywhere from 10-25 lbs. it can vary depending on how much bulldog a particular one has in them. Mine was 23 lbs and built like a tank. They're really affectionate yet fearless and if provoked they won't hesitate to attack a dog 5 times their size. They aren't the sort of dog that will go looking for a fight, but they will defintely not back down if challenged by another dog. I still have vivid memories of my uncle's Siberian Husky trying to aggresively assert his dominance over my BT. It didn't last long. His Husky got more than it bargained for. :P With people they may be a tad wary at first but will happily accept them once they realize that they are friendly (usually taking cues from their owners interaction with said strangers). They don't bark unnecessarily, not a yapper or a dog that barks just for the sake of barking, but they will bark to "sound the alarm" to alert their owners to visitors (wanted and unwanted ;) ). They tend to pick up training pretty easily. I've never been a huge fan of smaller dogs but I quickly became a fan of Boston Terriers after having owned one.
Thanks. They do sound cool, but like you, I'm also a fan of bigger dogs. Who knows though, maybe one day I'll fall in love with one too.

Anyhoo, good luck in your search. I tend to agree with what others in this thread have said in that I think it's a good idea to check out your local animal shelter as well (for reasons already given by others).

Thanks again, your experience was invaluable.

eljalill
March 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
no, I'm really moving out completely. Thanks :)

I was more referring to a girl/boyfriend, or a flatmate or so...
or who knows, a little maniacmusician ;)

This is a little off topic, but the first two also can seem similar to family sometimes... in a good and in a annoying way

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Loungefly.

The easiest breed of dog is a mutt. But don't get one from PetCo, it's kinda skanky there (no offence to PetCo employees). I know for a fact they let the hamsters breed, I don't know how they take care of the dogs. What about a rescue dog? I've never had problems with a mutt, nor female dogs. I have had problems with a male gundog (English Springer) we had, when I was a baby it apparently tried to attack me more than once, thus resulting in it being put to sleep.
Yes, I'm considering a rescue dog. It would be less pricey and I'd be saving a dog too! Really sorry about the dog that had to be put to sleep :(

I hear whisperings that my parents used to be very active in the show dog scene until this incident and there are dog trophies in the basement, but that it all stopped after "the Great Samson." (the dog that attacked me). So I've been raised on heels and clicks and dog instruments and first name basises with the vets... and whining with my parents about, not having a pet period, but about not being able to get a hamster because the dog will eat it. (dog's come first).
I've never had the chance to have any pets at all because of my father (he lied about it and said he was actually allergic to animals :rolleyes:), so a dog is really what I want. I can imagine the frustration of not being able to have the pet you want though :)

If you get an AM, promise me you get a female. Promise me you take it to classes for a very long time, longer than you think it needs it, longer than even the teacher thinks it needs it.
Why should I get a femaie? I was leaning towards male for the first one. And of course, I'll take it to obedience classes until I'm completely comfortable with the dog and our relationship.

I think it's very important you remember the context that you're getting the dog in. You're getting two big life changes. A new house, living on your own, and basically a big, furry, angsty, and possibly violent teenager.
I've lived on my own before, not worried about that. But the teenager part sounds fun :) In all seriousness, I completely realize the weight of the situation and won't go for it until I'm ready to. I have patience :)

Oh, and don't worry about potty training. It's only hard for the people who are only half trying it. It's much easier than getting up and running every day. If you can remember to do that, you can remember to take your dog outside every hour or two for the first two weeks. People who couldn't potty train their dogs are people who ignored their dogs. I felt bad about being so pessamistic, wanted to give you an uplifting smile. I doubt you'll have urine over your house often as long as you cut somethin' out! :)
:) Thanks. It's good that you're being pessimistic. It's more realistic than being gung-ho and positive. It gave me good things to think about, I appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Thats a big dog and it's gonna need lots of space & excercise.
Dogs are a big responsibility and you might have to adjust your lifestyle slightly.
I would usually say go get a dog from the spca/pound.

I'm not sure about the wheather where you live but with that much hair the dog might require haircuts in summer. Someone in my road has siberian huskies (nice dogs) and they get haircuts throughout summer. Unless you can get a shorter haired version of the dog.
What's an spca?

And this dog pretty much accommodates for the heat by itself. Right before summer, it sheds a LOT of its hair (several grocery-bags full). and during the summer, it tends to stay in really cool areas. If necessary, I'll get him haircuts. I'll consult a vet when the time comes. Thanks for pointing this out.

I was more referring to a girl/boyfriend, or a flatmate or so...
or who knows, a little maniacmusician ;)

This is a little off topic, but the first two also can seem similar to family sometimes... in a good and in a annoying way
haha, no little maniacmusician :D It would be really bad if I had a kid and was still living in my parents house! But I see what you mean. I'll try to resolve room-mates and stuff before getting a dog, or base my room-mates upon getting the dog. So if they're not compatible, they won't be living with me :)

And yes, yes they do.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM
arithmetic. if cats live 20 years and dogs 10, over the same amount of time, more dogs will die than cats. sorry i didn't make that more clear.

either one. the bonding experience you would have with the puppy would be tremendous. and, adopting a pound dog is a socially responsible thing to do. i think you'll find that, at certain times of the year, there are more rescue pups than one might assume.

my pleasure.
Okay.

So changing your avatar every hour now, eh? :) I liked the japanese girl and this is one is good as well. a picture of yourself?

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
So changing your avatar every hour now, eh? :) I liked the japanese girl and this is one is good as well. a picture of yourself?

tis me.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
tis me.
cool. nice tounge action going on there.

nice parody too, I laughed so hard when I first saw it.

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM
my av may have changed, but my maturity level hasn't.

anyway, do you know you have no pet allergies? it's not a deal breaker (i'm allergic to cats), but you may want to be prepared if you are.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have cat allergies on-and-off. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. Haven't had problems with other animals yet.

My cat allergies are pretty bad when I get them. Fingers swell up, eyes get bright red, contact lenses fall out, etc. But I'm sure meds can dampen that a lot.

ViRMiN
March 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM
SPCA - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. They will have animals which have been rescued, found, abandoned, etc., including those whose owners have passed away and there's nobody else to look after the animal. Sad as it is, these animals need to be re-homed, or they face being put to sleep. They will have been examined by a vet and be deemed healthy, or at least that's the case in the UK.

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have cat allergies on-and-off. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. Haven't had problems with other animals yet.

My cat allergies are pretty bad when I get them. Fingers swell up, eyes get bright red, contact lenses fall out, etc. But I'm sure meds can dampen that a lot.

and you can actually build up an immunity by being around them all the time. although, i don't think that works with severe allergies.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM
SPCA - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. They will have animals which have been rescued, found, abandoned, etc., including those whose owners have passed away and there's nobody else to look after the animal. Sad as it is, these animals need to be re-homed, or they face being put to sleep. They will have been examined by a vet and be deemed healthy, or at least that's the case in the UK.
ah of course, I should've known that. Thanks for the info.

and you can actually build up an immunity by being around them all the time. although, i don't think that works with severe allergies.
Okay. I took Zyrtec one time, I think, and it seemed to work fine...

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
March 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Just adding my thoughts, I have had Doberman Pinchers all my life. I have adopted a few and had two puppies that i raised and kept for 12 years. Dobermans are very trainable. I have never had a bad situation with any of them. The one's I adopted from Humane Society adapted very well to me and my home. Just my little input here :) Sally

ComplexNumber
March 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
wow! whats all this interest in fighting dogs? personally, my favourite are collies and retrievers.

gus sett
March 24th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I dunno. Wouldn't getting a dog a year and a half old be a little like getting a pre-owned
vehicle with 10,000 miles? It's housebroken, still young enough for you to add your own
touches etc. You might want to ask what the owner's next pet is and observe
for any behavior out of the ordinary. :D

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Just adding my thoughts, I have had Doberman Pinchers all my life. I have adopted a few and had two puppies that i raised and kept for 12 years. Dobermans are very trainable. I have never had a bad situation with any of them. The one's I adopted from Humane Society adapted very well to me and my home. Just my little input here :) Sally
:) Neat. I'll be honest; Dobermans arent my type of dogs. They're really loyal, but they're thin, wiry, and not distance runners. They just don't match my temperament. Kudos to you though, you seem to get along great with them :)

wow! whats all this interest in fighting dogs? personally, my favourite are collies and retrievers.
lol Dobermans aren't really fighting dogs. They can be trained that way, but they're fairly normal as far as normal situations go. My preference for dogs is large, muscular, intelligent, loners, things along that line.

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM
i think a lot of breeds get pegged as scary that don't need to be. sure, some breeds are easier to make aggressive. rottweilers have a bad reputation, but every one i've ever known has been goofball.

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
March 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM

I have never used a Doberman for fighting or never used the word "sic em" to them. But they new when to be protective as they had a good sense as to when some thing was not "right"

%hMa@?b<C
March 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I would personally rescue one from the pound. My dad found my cat wandering around the train yard where he works, he was a feral cat. I am taking in another one that is at the pound currently, and needs to be quarrintined because he was found out in a snow storm nearly dead. It makes you feel good to know that you helped an animal that would hae had a bad life if you had not stepped in.

mips
March 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Been bitten by two Dobermans (face and hind leg) & one Bull Terrier (below knee).

Cannot stand bull terriers, they strike me as the dumbest dogs out and once they get a hold of you they don't let go. My uncle had one that mauled the mailman, I think the mailman might have died, can't remember. The one that bit me was put down, still have the scars from the canine teeth on my leg.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Been bitten by two Dobermans (face and hind leg) & one Bull Terrier (below knee).

Cannot stand bull terriers, they strike me as the dumbest dogs out and once they get a hold of you they don't let go. My uncle had one that mauled the mailman, I think the mailman might have died, can't remember. The one that bit me was put down, still have the scars from the canine teeth on my leg.
I read somewhere (perhaps wikipedia) that the reason for the bad reputation of the Dobermans is because of the media. People see them being vicious on TV and decide to get one. Then, they train it badly, don't take proper care of it, and it turns out to be an angry, unhappy, unstable dog.

I don't really like Bull Terriers either.

WalmartSniperLX
March 24th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I would have to agree again with most people. Look around at adoption centers. You can look online too but its always a good thing to go in and check the dog out yourself. Just be careful when getting an older dog; make sure they were well trained because a lot of dogs at rescue centers aren't because they were literally rescued from bad homes. But it depends on where you go.

Also what I meant about Malamutes being closer related to Wolves wasn't referring to their general behaviors. You are right in every way but what I meant was that Malamues (like akitas, siberian huskies) went thru a lot less change over the many years since the dog decended from the wolf. I don't mean they're any different than any other dog, thats just what I meant. Malamutes are known to be excellent dogs.

Just a reminder, make sure you have a large yard for it and make sure he/she cant escape. As you know theyre very smart too ;) and the worst thing you could want is for it to get out and run into a street, get hurt, or even meet their death. Please, don't repeat my parent's mistake; be careful about your enclosure.

Wartooth
March 25th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Based off of your profile location:

Alaskan Malamute Rescue of New England, Inc

http://www.amrone.org/

Questions & General Information: info [at] amrone.org

Kathy Ferragamo: 978-688-0294

Joanne Duval: 413-258-4089

:D

I'm very pro-rescue. However, contacting these folks and expressing your interest and concerns may help you get even more input from those who have very involved experience with the breed. Most rescues are straight-shooters as they don't want the dogs to go to a home that can't handle them and wind up continuing the cycle of unwanted pets.

Good luck to you!

maniacmusician
March 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Based off of your profile location:

Alaskan Malamute Rescue of New England, Inc

http://www.amrone.org/

Questions & General Information: info [at] amrone.org

Kathy Ferragamo: 978-688-0294

Joanne Duval: 413-258-4089

:D

I'm very pro-rescue. However, contacting these folks and expressing your interest and concerns may help you get even more input from those who have very involved experience with the breed. Most rescues are straight-shooters as they don't want the dogs to go to a home that can't handle them and wind up continuing the cycle of unwanted pets.

Good luck to you!

Actually, I'm going to move to Amherst, MA. but that place is still the best bet. Unfortunately, they only have 2 dogs up for adoption right now, and they want previous experience with dogs. I'm hoping to find some more places as well. Thanks for the link though, and the good luck :)

zami
March 25th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Just a few quick notes on breeders and stores -

Someone mentioned breeders are "in it for the money". No no no! Puppy-millers are in it for the money. A good breeder is usually someone who loves the breed, has a small family of dogs they truly love, will only breed a single female a few times, and doesn't make much money at all. It's a lot of work and money to breed healthy purebred dogs.

As someone else pointed out, a good breeder is probably also going to want to interveiw YOU before selling you a dog. Again, they aren't actually making much money and they love the dogs they breed - they want to recoup their raising costs AND make sure the pup goes to a good home.

I agree most pet stores are horrid places to buy dogs - most get thier pups from puppy-mills, or "breeders" conveniently located out of state, etc. (Usually if you ask the clerk you get a blank stare - mabye they'll look up the info for you and have a response like "HappyFreshAirFarms, only 900 miles away". Blech.)

But don't rule out pet stores completely. Two of the best dogs I have EVER owned (a black lab/blue healer mix and a pure black lab) came from a pet store. The store was small and family owned and sold only local animals. They knew where all the animals came from - some were from local breeders, some were rescue animals, none were from out of state or from puppy-mills or "remote breeders". (And they all were happy looking animals with some play space, instead of being crammed into little cages under neon lights, ala any mall pet store.)

-zami

zami
March 25th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Also,

If you have your heart set on the AM, prepare for it to take a long time for you to find your dog! My mother is big into Boston Terriers. She has one who was a rescue case, and the rest are from breeders local to her area, who have waiting lists and only have a litter to offer every few years. So, it can take some time! Even lengthier, some breeders are going to want you to have prior experience with dogs (or even that particular breed!) before they'll sell you a pup. (Not unlike you mentioned the amrone.org folks are requiring.)

But if you're eager for your furry companion and feel a little flexible about the breed - visit some shelters in person. ... Kindred souls and all of that.... as someone else already stated in this thread, you and a dog might "just click". Nothing beats that. :)

-zami

plb
March 25th, 2007, 01:27 AM
German Shepherd FTW :)

Loungefly
March 25th, 2007, 02:13 AM
How much did you cost you per month, on average? Just wondering.

Jeez, lemme think. I had another dog at the time as well, so breaking it down just for the Malamute it came to somewhere in the neighborhood of $130 a month, including treats. I usually fed him the premium brands of wet and dry food though (Iams, Eukanuba, Purina One etc). His stomach was a bottomless pit.

How much did you buy him for?

I paid $480 for him back in 1996. The guy I bought him from was someone I worked with. He was a registered breeder Malamutes in his free time.

Not sure what the average going rate for a Malamute these days would be, or exactly how much it would vary from region to region, if at all (I bought mine in Georgia).

One thing that has always made me cringe is when a first time dog owner gets tunnel vision when they get their heart set on a particular high maintenance breed and they dive in head first...only to think later on down the track, "What in the hell did I get myself into?! Aghh!! I want out!" That had a lot to do with the length of my first post ;)

I will say though that from everything you've said it's obvious you're approaching it from every possible angle before making a decision, which is great. :)

maniacmusician
March 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Thanks a lot zami. You're right, it will probably take a while until I can get a mal, due to the reasons you mentioned. Perhaps I'll rescue someone else while I wait for my mal. Can't really decide on any other breed, though. No other seems to be nearly as close to me in personality, except perhaps the Samoed (which seem to be very similar to malamutes), but those aren't very common either.

@plb: German Shepherds are pretty good. They're a little smaller and weaker than the malamutes, and more contemporary than I would like. Everyone and their mother has a german shepherd :)

Banished
March 25th, 2007, 02:23 AM
We just adopted a mastiff/boxer puppy (our first large dog). We've been wanting a large dog for a while, and the reason we decided on a puppy is the dog is going to be larger than I am, so I wanted to make sure it was trained properly. We also have very young neices and nephews, 2 small dogs and a cat, so it was important I knew my dog well.

If you are going to get a pup the benefit is you get to train it the way you want, if there is a negative trait in the dog you can deal with it while it's a manageable size, and it's a wonderful experience seeing your pup grow physically and watch it's personality develop.

Especially while it's a pup you want to socialize it every chance you get, I highly recommend taking it to a dog park, getting your dog to meet as many different people and animals as possible, and expose it to different situations.

The downside to getting a puppy is the expense of shots and spaying/neutering (expect to spend a few hundred at the vet within the first 6 months), and you can expect some mistakes in the house (however we found that is was very easy housebreaking our mastiff/boxer, much easier than our chihuahua). Puppies will also teeth and chew, so be prepared for puppy proofing your house. Also expect a lot of whining the first few nights...and watch out for the "Puppy Eyes".

Our pup has a few malamute friends (also puppies) they are beautiful dogs.

maniacmusician
March 25th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Loungefly, thanks for the kind words. I certainly am trying to prepare for it as best as I can. At least I didn't just jump into the decision. I'm really glad I started this thread.

Thanks for the price info.

I've heard that the popular, commercial dog food companies have a lot of filler in them that does nothing for the dog and isn't very nutritional...Purina One was a type that I heard was not very good. I'm still reading more into that.

maniacmusician
March 25th, 2007, 02:31 AM
We just adopted a mastiff/boxer puppy (our first large dog). We've been wanting a large dog for a while, and the reason we decided on a puppy is the dog is going to be larger than I am, so I wanted to make sure it was trained properly. We also have very young neices and nephews, 2 small dogs and a cat, so it was important I knew my dog well.

If you are going to get a pup the benefit is you get to train it the way you want, if there is a negative trait in the dog you can deal with it while it's a manageable size, and it's a wonderful experience seeing your pup grow physically and watch it's personality develop.

Especially while it's a pup you want to socialize it every chance you get, I highly recommend taking it to a dog park, getting your dog to meet as many different people and animals as possible, and expose it to different situations.

The downside to getting a puppy is the expense of shots and spaying/neutering (expect to spend a few hundred at the vet within the first 6 months), and you can expect some mistakes in the house (however we found that is was very easy housebreaking our mastiff/boxer, much easier than our chihuahua). Puppies will also teeth and chew, so be prepared for puppy proofing your house. Also expect a lot of whining the first few nights...and watch out for the "Puppy Eyes".

Our pup has a few malamute friends (also puppies) they are beautiful dogs.
I've read that taking pups to dog parks isn't really beneficial as it detracts a lot from their training. I forget where I read it (it was on the other computer). I agree about the benefits of getting a puppy. Of course, there are disadvantages as well. Just need to weigh the pros and cons.

I'm not sure about neutering/spaying. I've heard good arguments for it, but it just seems really unnatural and absurdly cruel. Based on principle, I'm totally against it...Based on some medical reasons I've heard, it seems like a good idea. I'm still a little torn about it.

%hMa@?b<C
March 25th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Dont let me dissuade you, but I have had bad experiences with my neighbor's german shephards, one of them bit me, another one bit both my grandmother and a carpenter working on their house, he had to be put to sleep. But he was mean to the dogs and hit them with newspapers. My aunt/uncle had two Great Danes, and afaik, they loved them. They were very nice dogs, but they were necessacary to have a _lot_ of room. If I were, personally, to get a dog, I would go for something a little bigger than a cat, but definately not a full-sized dog like a retriever or something. I have also been slightly scared of dogs, and with having a small parrot (cockatiel) and one going on two cats, I dont think there is much room in my small house, or that my parents would even let me.
I would also make sure to get a dog that is not bred for a specific climate. The north east region, (MA, CT, NY, etc) can get very cold and it would be a bad idea to get a dog that requires a coat just to go out for a walk.

maniacmusician
March 25th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Dont let me dissuade you, but I have had bad experiences with my neighbor's german shephards, one of them bit me, another one bit both my grandmother and a carpenter working on their house, he had to be put to sleep. But he was mean to the dogs and hit them with newspapers. My aunt/uncle had two Great Danes, and afaik, they loved them. They were very nice dogs, but they were necessacary to have a _lot_ of room. If I were, personally, to get a dog, I would go for something a little bigger than a cat, but definately not a full-sized dog like a retriever or something. I have also been slightly scared of dogs, and with having a small parrot (cockatiel) and one going on two cats, I dont think there is much room in my small house, or that my parents would even let me.
I would also make sure to get a dog that is not bred for a specific climate. The north east region, (MA, CT, NY, etc) can get very cold and it would be a bad idea to get a dog that requires a coat just to go out for a walk.
a dog will usually only bite if he wasn't trained well or if he has a bad temperament. Most German Shepherds have fairly good temperament, but they do require training to get certain traits out of them. But like I said earlier, they're just too common and not my kind of dog.

Big dogs are definitely not for everyone, but they definitely are for me. I love big dogs :)

mar225
March 25th, 2007, 03:17 AM
look into a female Carolina Dingo

They are about everything you have described as wanting.

Start with a pup. They learn quicker and have no bad habits to unlearn.

slimdog360
March 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I think I know of a dog youd like.
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Mike-Dubisch/Cerberus-Print-C10101090.jpeg
hard to come by but a good temperment, it called a cerberus

%hMa@?b<C
March 25th, 2007, 03:40 AM

3 necks, hairy with snakes of the medusa-like monster. just need to remember to keep the chain on the MIDDLE neck.

slayerboy
March 25th, 2007, 04:43 AM
congrats on your decision to get a dog!

I have been wanting to get a dog for a while now, but because I rent part of a house, the landlord doesn't allow pets, even though I have acres of land that the house sits on! LOL.

Anyways, I really think that you have done your homework as to what dog fits you the best. I myself would love to get a black lab. I've always loved them, but it's strange because when I was a kid I was "attacked" by the family black lab. I don't really remember it, but I guess I was playing with her and she swiped at my face, I still have the scars from her nails. Then she took a swipe at my sister a few weeks later and I guess she had to be put down.

Then my family got a mutt, short little thing we called Spot. I don't remember what breeds that dog was, but it was the nastiest dog I have ever met. I don't remember a lot about the dog, but I do remember it had a temper like you wouldn't believe. That dog combined with being swiped at when I was a kid led to my complete fear of anything on four legs and fur. I still to this day have that sane fear with animals I don't know.

My parents then got 2 black lab/shepard/chow mix female twins. The more "lab" of the two is the most awesome dog in the world. Loves to play, friendly with people and other dogs, and she kinda cured me of my fear of animals. The other thing that cured me was reading the book "Marley & Me" by John Grogan. I found out about this book by listening to Howard Stern. I'm not a book reader, and I usually don't like books about animals, but I found it cheap at Walmart and picked it up. Let me tell you, this book brought out every human emotion in me that I didn't think was possible. It also led me to get over the fear of at least dogs and to someday have one of my own when the time is right.

While I don't think the book will provide any training for you, it is a good read. It's basically about this dog that is the most loveable, protective, yet destructive dog I've ever heard of. LOL. It also taught me a little bit about life too.

One of the managers I had when I worked in retail has an Alaskan Husky, weighing in at about 125 lbs. I've never met this beast, but I've been told that only my then manager could handle walking this dog.

Good luck in your search! If you're still here, post some pics of your dog when you get him/her! I'd love to see the dog that chose you! (cuz we all know that we don't chose dogs, the dogs chose their owners....just ask my bro-in-law who didn't want a dog and now has one!):)

slayerboy
March 25th, 2007, 04:48 AM

very true! Although you gotta admit, this one looks a little hard to tame if it ever broke loose....

https://www.mandarava.com/a1grph/Ggph/G_graphics/GSUM4990.jpg

Yeah, I'm a sucker for gargoyles...LOL

RAV TUX
March 25th, 2007, 04:50 AM

honestly without reading the thread I would suggest not to purchase a pure breed of any kind instead adopt from an animal shelter, you would be surprised how many pure breeds end up at the animal shelter anyway......

I also would recommend you start with a pet Bunny,....they make awesome pets

WalmartSniperLX
March 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Darn it, just buy a penguin! :lolflag:

eentonig
March 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I haven't read through the entire topic. But as a passionate dog owner, I wanted to give you some comments.

- Go for a pup. With an adult dog, you don't know what you get. That is, how did the previouw owner handle it? Why is the dog really going to a new home?
- An Alaskan Malamute is a hard breed to go for as a first dog. Do not underestimate their temperament. They are very dominant as a breed and very selfish. It will be hard, very hard to train the dog. Mind you, not impossible. But don't expect the same results as other dog owners achieve.
- Buy your pup a a respectfull breeder who has experience with his breed. Don't go to a puppymill. You might save a buck when buying. You loose that buck at the vet or the time you need to spent on socialising afterwards.
- Go to a dogschool.
- Prepare to a have time for your dog every day! A malamute needs to be able to run, run, run... Not just walk around the block.

As for training tips. If you have your dog, feel free to pm me anytime when you have questions. I spent quite some time moderating a belgian dog forum (www.hondenvrienden.be), so I'll be able to give you some good hints and tips should you run into specific situations.

Loungefly
March 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Loungefly, thanks for the kind words. I certainly am trying to prepare for it as best as I can. At least I didn't just jump into the decision. I'm really glad I started this thread.

Thanks for the price info.

I've heard that the popular, commercial dog food companies have a lot of filler in them that does nothing for the dog and isn't very nutritional...Purina One was a type that I heard was not very good. I'm still reading more into that.

No problem :)

Yeah, more often than not the best dog foods are the ones that you don't often find at regular supermarkets, although Science Diet isn't too bad. Iams and Eukanuba are two of the best IMO. Purina One isn't in the same league of course, and it's readily available in most supermarkets, but nutrionally it's a heck of a lot better than most other commercial brands. I'm one of those obsessive types that used to stand in the dog food aisles at the supermarket reading nutrition labels on everything that's there :razz: It's been years since I've bought Purina One dog food though. Maybe it's not like it used to be.

I'll second what slayerboy said. Ya gotta post some pics once you get your dog. After all this talk about dogs I'm curious to see what you end up with :)

daynah
March 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM

You can also GET an allergy by being around cats too much. (I say this as a cat person, who loves humans more).

And if we're on this "get a cerebus, get a penguin" hitch, hamsters are so much better. They'd run more miles than you and a AM put together in a day, any day.

You just should time it over the whole day ~cough~

Good luck, babe. I think officially we've done our duty as dog owners to scare the poopie outta you to try to get you not to do it, and you will be more stubborn than your dog. Which, I think, is the most important trait in a dog owner. You get my seal of approvial.

Go get your silly AM. And get your "I <3 my AM t-shirt" also.

Oh, but please wait till you've moved in a little bit, just for your own psychogical resting, ya know? Not too much change at once. It's also good for the dog not to have a lot of furniture moving around all the time, especially not to be around paining (if it's going to be an indoor/outdoor dog, which I recommend. more cuddles!)

fuscia
March 25th, 2007, 02:30 PM
why cats and dogs make better pets than children - they don't turn on you when they become teenagers.

allix
March 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I got my first dog almost exactly 3 years ago. Unlike you however, I think smaller dogs are more fun so I got myself a miniature wire-haired dachshund. She's playful, loyal, loving and stubborn as f***. :D Seriously though, getting a dog is the best thing I ever did.

I only have one advice for you. Never listen to self-appointed dog-experts, they are always full of s**t. Unfortunately the whole Internet is filled with them so one has to be careful not to trust everything one reads. ;)
This was the biggest surprise to me, actually. People I didn't know could come up to me and start lecturing me about cutting claws, feeding, training and all sorts of things. Even though I didn't ask, most people happily offered their dos and don'ts which I think is quite rude and disrespectful. How many people walk up to parents of a newborn and start preaching about how to raise a child? :rolleyes:

Other than that, there is not much to say. Common sense and patience goes a long way, and you seem to have both.

Someone should start a "Show your pet" thread :D

maniacmusician
March 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM
You can also GET an allergy by being around cats too much. (I say this as a cat person, who loves humans more).

And if we're on this "get a cerebus, get a penguin" hitch, hamsters are so much better. They'd run more miles than you and a AM put together in a day, any day.

You just should time it over the whole day ~cough~

Good luck, babe. I think officially we've done our duty as dog owners to scare the poopie outta you to try to get you not to do it, and you will be more stubborn than your dog. Which, I think, is the most important trait in a dog owner. You get my seal of approvial.

Go get your silly AM. And get your "I <3 my AM t-shirt" also.

Oh, but please wait till you've moved in a little bit, just for your own psychogical resting, ya know? Not too much change at once. It's also good for the dog not to have a lot of furniture moving around all the time, especially not to be around paining (if it's going to be an indoor/outdoor dog, which I recommend. more cuddles!)
whoa, the daynah seal of approval. Amaaaazing :). Thanks for all the pushing and nagging :) I don't think you answered my question from last time though. You said that I should get a female, and I asked "why should I get a female?"

why cats and dogs make better pets than children - they don't turn on you when they become teenagers.
:) Yeah, I can't wait till that experience. Still a long ways off, fortunately.

I got my first dog almost exactly 3 years ago. Unlike you however, I think smaller dogs are more fun so I got myself a miniature wire-haired dachshund. She's playful, loyal, loving and stubborn as f***. :D Seriously though, getting a dog is the best thing I ever did.

I only have one advice for you. Never listen to self-appointed dog-experts, they are always full of s**t. Unfortunately the whole Internet is filled with them so one has to be careful not to trust everything one reads. ;)
This was the biggest surprise to me, actually. People I didn't know could come up to me and start lecturing me about cutting claws, feeding, training and all sorts of things. Even though I didn't ask, most people happily offered their dos and don'ts which I think is quite rude and disrespectful. How many people walk up to parents of a newborn and start preaching about how to raise a child? :rolleyes:

Other than that, there is not much to say. Common sense and patience goes a long way, and you seem to have both.

Someone should start a "Show your pet" thread :D
Thanks for the advice. I believe there actually is a show your pet thread somewhere in the Cafe.

@everyone else: thanks a lot for all your input.

slayerboy
March 26th, 2007, 03:02 AM
of course, you know, you might want to start out with a small pet first....like a goldfish.

At least that's what I would do, the only problem is it wouldn't work for me because I need something that's going to nag me to feed it...LOL.

Ya, I guess it's a good thing that I can't have pets where I am...:lolflag:

C-A
March 26th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I can't say much about owning a dog because I currently do not have one. However, I plan to get a dog sometime soon. Anyway, if you decide on a breed you may want to look online for a rescue designed for that type of dog. I plan to get a german shepherd and I have read about some good rescues in my area. The rescues seem to provide good care and training for the dogs while they are in their care plus you are providing a home to a dog in need.