View Full Version : MS welcomes Sony into the next generation

happy-and-lost
March 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6485483.stm

http://shkyw.org/

Nice one MS ;)

izanbardprince
March 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
They also could have borrowed that icebreaker ship from Sea Shepherd and rammed the PS3 ship.

pkslot
March 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
:lolflag:

I especially like the " Sony...... youre late" sign, as in, we weren't ;) (Cough**vista** cough)

pkslot
March 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
Maybe someone with Flashediting skills should make a:

"MS, welcome to the sophistimocated desktop doowaggy decoration generation -

You're about 4 years late -

We'd like to play, but you're eons behind"

):P

nphx
March 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
I read somewhere Microsoft actually lost revenues with Xbox360.

I wish Sony adopted Linux on their computers, they make some nice laptops.

I've heard rumors of Sony using Linux on their PS3 operating system?

pkslot
March 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
In denmark, where i live, a IBM dude, ripped the software from ps3 and installed some linux dist. Result, a super computer. Cool.

I heard the intarview on the radio, on my way to work this morning.

Lord Illidan
March 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
I read somewhere Microsoft actually lost revenues with Xbox360.

I wish Sony adopted Linux on their computers, they make some nice laptops.

I've heard rumors of Sony using Linux on their PS3 operating system?

MS lose revenues on the hardware, though they then make it up with the software licenses.

%hMa@?b<C
March 24th, 2007, 12:06 AM
In denmark, where i live, a IBM dude, ripped the software from ps3 and installed some linux dist. Result, a super computer. Cool.

I heard the intarview on the radio, on my way to work this morning.

anyone can install Linux on PS3, they just dont allow full access to the RSX graphics chip, which makes its super graphics power very very limited and it also have very little RAM (256mb) so it cannot handle gnome or KDE very well, and you can not use all of the SPE of the cell processor.

pkslot
March 24th, 2007, 12:29 AM
anyone can install Linux on PS3, they just dont allow full access to the RSX graphics chip, which makes its super graphics power very very limited and it also have very little RAM (256mb) so it cannot handle gnome or KDE very well, and you can not use all of the SPE of the cell processor.

Issues with graphics may only be a matter of time, when people discover what power they can unleash by trying.

But as for me, the average semi poor guy, who spended all my money on an old farm in the country, i don't even consider buying a ps* no matter the cost. Simply.... because i have no reason. I like my pc, and i'm quite sure i'll stick with that in the future too, and thats why i think it's cool. Cause i have no refrence to ps* I didn't know that installing any other OS than the original was possible, and listening to a guy that did this got me awe struck.

Second, he told that he didn't use it for gaming purposes, but for calculating results in medicinescience, such as cancersolutions, and that, that is the solepurpose of computing, when we're talkink supercomputer (at least in my humble opinion ;))

But just out of curorosity, is it possible to install other hardware parts (as in geforce X) in a ps3, just by fiddling a little, or is it absolutely impossible??

%hMa@?b<C
March 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Issues with graphics may only be a matter of time, when people discover what power they can unleash by trying.

But as for me, the average semi poor guy, who spended all my money on an old farm in the country, i don't even consider buying a ps* no matter the cost. Simply.... because i have no reason. I like my pc, and i'm quite sure i'll stick with that in the future too, and thats why i think it's cool. Cause i have no refrence to ps* I didn't know that installing any other OS than the original was possible, and listening to a guy that did this got me awe struck.

Second, he told that he didn't use it for gaming purposes, but for calculating results in medicinescience, such as cancersolutions, and that, that is the solepurpose of computing, when we're talkink supercomputer (at least in my humble opinion ;))

But just out of curorosity, is it possible to install other hardware parts (as in geforce X) in a ps3, just by fiddling a little, or is it absolutely impossible??
the RSX is a chip, built by NVIDIA (or is it ATi?) and it is just that, a chip. It does not have an interface like your would expect your GeForce in your home box to have. It is soldered to the main motherboard of teh PS3. It would take more than _a little_ tinkering but I dont see why the chip couldnt be replaced if your soldering skills were that of a robot.

pkslot
March 24th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Hehe, you've made your point, but like i said, i'm not into the whole console thing. I just thought "well what do ya know, thats cool."

Besides that, maybe one day, there will be Pubuntu, customised ps* based ubuntu platforms, or something like that ;)

But hey, just another question.. What about Xbox, have someone ever installed a linux dist on something like that??

That almost blows the whole thing, doesn't it. I mean, installing something opensource on an ms contraption :biggrin: